• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid CAN Surf the web and answer a call at the same time!

My point is that many, yourself included, tout multitasking as such a wonderful feature while its usefulness is arguably quite overstated. All of those scenarios you mentioned are possible in other leading operating systems as well, hence the reasoning behind my not finding this "multitasking" to be as big a deal.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

Once again, Y-O-U called multitasking irrelevant. I never once said the droid was the only phone that could multitask or that it was the multitasking Zeus of all phones, nor did I overstate anything. You on the other hand, understated what a multitasking phone can really do. I cant fully blame you though, it appears you just simply don't understand the whole concept.

Fact. Being able to multitask on a phone allows you to be more productive while simultaneously making life easier. Arguing all you want still wont change this. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You're right, with the exception of one major smartphone operating system, all of them do support multitasking, so that in itself is not the big issue.

I suppose it comes down to how efficiently and elegantly the operating system handles all these multiple tasks.

As for you, you're using Android, so you must be satisfied with the way it does so, right?

So really, what's the argument here?

Oh I am satisfied with it, I just didn't get the rose colored glasses with my Droid that so many others seem to have gotten. I would love for the task bar to have the ability to hold onto some open tasks though. Would certainly make multitasking more useful to me- even with an iPhone, which doesn't technically support that, I was just as many clicks away from getting a news story or a score update as I am with my Droid.

Upvote 0
Oh I am satisfied with it, I just didn't get the rose colored glasses with my Droid that so many others seem to have gotten. I would love for the task bar to have the ability to hold onto some open tasks though. Would certainly make multitasking more useful to me- even with an iPhone, which doesn't technically support that, I was just as many clicks away from getting a news story or a score update as I am with my Droid.

I had a Blackberry before, so I'm quite used to being able to multitask. But be mindful of the fact that many of the users on this forum are first time smartphone users, or converts from iPhone, so this is the first time that they've experienced multitasking.

Seems to me that WebOS would be fitting for you, as it allows you to very quickly switch between your windows. Also, you know that holding down the home button allows you to quickly switch between the last 6 apps that you launched, right?

Upvote 0
I had a Blackberry before, so I'm quite used to being able to multitask. But be mindful of the fact that many of the users on this forum are first time smartphone users, or converts from iPhone, so this is the first time that they've experienced multitasking.

Seems to me that WebOS would be fitting for you, as it allows you to very quickly switch between your windows. Also, you know that holding down the home button allows you to quickly switch between the last 6 apps that you launched, right?

I do understand what you're saying, and I haven't found anything wrong in your points either. I have been quite happy with the Android OS even having had extensive experience with the others you have mentioned. They all have their good points and bad, I just happen to believe that the differences in multitasking are much are useful in marketing than in reality.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry. After this statement of yours, pro ported to be fact, I C-L-E-A-R-L-Y was wrong about saying you overstated anything previous to it.

Hello, Logic... are you there? anybody home?

Also, you know that holding down the home button allows you to quickly switch between the last 6 apps that you launched, right?

But but, then he has no argument for the length of time it takes to switch between currently multitask'd apps.

Upvote 0
If you really need data and voice simultaneously then you should have wifi enabled and be at a hotspot. I know this excludes it's use while driving. Then again you have the option of voip and data simultaneously on this mode without eating up all your cellular minutes. Just don't do voip over 3g to avoid violating the VZW terms of service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones