Droid cannot see my SD card within the camera app.Support

Last Updated:

1. Neightron

Neightron Member This Topic's Starter

I get this message, "Please insert an SD card before using the camera." only sporadically when I try to use the Camera application on my Motorola Droid. This prevents me from taking any pictures obviously and is annoying. If you get this message on you Droid, reboot the phone and the camera app will work just fine (at least for a little while).

The problem is, I am NOT willing to have to reboot every time I want to catch something on my phone. Usually the reboot sequence takes up more than enough time to let whatever you're trying to photograph get away... :(

Has anybody else experienced this or found a way to fix it? I'm thinking about reformatting the card but wtf, I don't want to lose all my stuff or have to back it up etc...

I have seen a few threads about this same type of error on the G1 but not for the Motorola Droid.

Edit: This is happening to my phone this very instant. If I go straight into the Music app and can see and listen to all of my music that I've put on the SD card. I also use ASTRO as a file manager, which can also see everything on the SD card at the same time the Camera app can not recognize the SD card. -.-

Advertisement
  2. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

1st of all, its not a bad idea to back up your sd cad. Some people are experience spontaneous wipeouts of their card due to the Slacker apps (in conjunction with other apps perhaps). If slacker can wipe out a card, any apps can. 2nd, your symptoms are more likely and bad sectors on the card or the camera app is freaking. To rule out the latter, I would suggest trying another camera app from the market and see if works. if so, then it's your native camera app. Sometimes formating a drive may clear out some bad read/write to the drive, so I would give that a shot too.

3. Neightron

Neightron Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, it's been over a month now. And ever since I formated the SD card, I have not encountered this error. Just wanted to let y'all know everything has been working fine ever since I reformatted.

4. bscoder

bscoder New Member

I just found this problem on my Droid X... Turned out to be that I had the USB cable plugged in (debugging on so I could access SD card from Linux box) and it wouldn't take pictures b/c it couldn't find the SD... Unplugged it from the PC and it worked straight away.