Droid Charging Problem

Last Updated:

1. Geck

Geck Member This Topic's Starter

I have noticed this problem multiple times now with my droid. When I plug my droid in to charge at night, it appears to charge up to 100%, then stops charging and begins to lose its charge. When I wake up it is usually around 60 or 70%. I recently bought the multimedia dock to see if this would help. But with this it actually fully discharges because the clock is up on the screen. I found a thread about this on another site but no one came up with a solution and I was wondering if anyone here could help. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

I just started experiencing this problem as well and I saw some ruminations about a phantom OTA update that has been causing this problem over the last week here on the forums, but the solution seemed a little nebulous. Admittedly I didn't read too closely since I hadn't begun having the problem yet. I'm going to comb through the forums now and try to figure out the solution.

I am not a root user, but I did force the update to 2.1 rather than waiting for the OTA update, what about you? Most of the people who were complaining about this issue seem to be rooted Droid users, which I am not, but I am having this battery drain problem.

3. publicanimal

OK folks I read through the forums and everything I read suggested that this would only be a problem for root users and something about otacerts.zip file that was a little over my head (possibly because I'm not a root user).

Can any of the guides or any one else offer up a solution to this problem? I'm here to tell you that it's affecting those of us who are NOT root users as well. I do run Helix Launcher, could this have anything to do with this issue. HELP!!!!!! SOS!!!

4. Geck

I do not think that you need to be rooted for this problem to occur. I am rooted now but I had experienced this problem before I was rooted.

5. publicanimal

Clearly that is the case since I am not rooted, but it had been suggested by several people that this was a problem that would only potentially affect rooted users. In fact, the previous threads about this issue where moved to the "All Things Root" section of this forum due to that exact suggestion.

How long have you been experiencing this problem Geck?

6. Geck

I can't exactly remember but now that you mention it, it might have started around the time I started using helix.

7. publicanimal

Interesting. I've only noticed it over the last 2-3 days, I've been using Helix for almost a month, but maybe I just hadn't noticed the battery drain. I'm hoping more people will weigh in on this problem since it appears to be a widespread issue at the moment.

8. Geck

But Public, does it happen to you every time that you charge it over night or is it only sometimes. And if it is, would you say its about half the time?

9. publicanimal

I've noticed a pronounced decrease in battery life after every charge the last 2-3 days. Today was the worst, I charged my battery to 100% last night, unplugged my phone around midnight and I had reached 15% battery life about an hour ago. I did talk to my Mom for about an hour (it's Mother's Day! Call your Mom!) and talked to my girlfriend for about 20 minutes but an hour and 20 minutes worth of phone calls shouldn't be enough to suck that much battery life.

Usually if I charge my phone to 100% right before I go to bed it's still at 100% or so when I wake up. This morning I checked and it was around 80% or so just from sitting idle when I was sleeping. Something fishy is going on....

10. Geck

Ok well I see what you are saying now. I read about what you are talking about too. I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear in my OP. My problem is when my phone is on the charger it charges to full, then stops charging and begins to lose charge. I take it off the charger in the morning at about 50% battery.

11. publicanimal

Ah I gotcha. I generally always unplug when I notice my phone is fully charged so I wouldn't know if I would have that problem or not, but even so you shouldn't be losing that much charge just because the phone stopped charging at 100%. The reason I unplug is because I once heard leaving your phone plugged in after it's fully charged is bad for the battery - not sure if this is true but to be on the safe side I try to avoid doing so.

So we are having different issues but it appears some funky issues with battery life have appeared in the last week or so with several people.

12. tman065

tman065 Active Member

I can't believe the battery can't withstand a few of hours of trickle charging overnight. I guess I'll see how long my battery lasts. If I have to replace it next spring, I'll be satisfied.