• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Command Center crash on open

rshudson82

Aug 29, 2010
So I just got a Droid Turbo 2 yesterday, and updated to Marshmallow last night. Sometime today my Command Center widget started displaying 0° for the Low and High temperatures, though it still displays the current weather and location correctly. Every time I click the weather, it says "Unfortunately, Command Center has stopped working." I removed the widget from my Home screen, went into Settings, Apps, All, Show System, Droid Command Center, and clicked Force Stop, then rebooted the phone. Still get the "Command Center has stopped working" every time I try to open it. Tapping the battery section still opens Battery, tapping the time still opens Alarms. But if I tap on either of the weather sections, it crashes. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I also installed the AdBlock Plus apk earlier today, but even deactivating it doesn't work.

Edit: Just realized my wife's widget isn't working, either, so it can't be AdBlock, because she doesn't have it installed. Is DCC not compatible with Marshmallow?

Last edited:
Okay, so it looks like it's a compatibility issue. Thanks for the confirmation, guys. Maybe there'll be an update soon. Meantime, I've downloaded and am using Chronus. Same functionality, cleaner look, plus it can give you news and/or stock information. My only beef is that I can't find a way to set it to go directly to Alarms when I tap the time; it goes to Clock and then I have to manually swipe over to Alarms. Not a huge deal, just a minor gripe. I haven't completely disabled DCC yet, though, in case some sort of update pushes through.

Upvote 0
I'm not having the problem you mentioned at all... so I guess the standard suggestions are in order...

Try running in Safe Mode .... see http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-turbo-2-reference-and-tips.965124/

If it works fine that way... it's likely a conflict with an app that has been installed. Of course identifying the app can be a long process if you've installed a lot of them and I know of no short method to make it go quicker than uninstalling one at a time and retesting.

Wipe Cache Partition ... this is different than deleting the app info/cache ... instructions again are in the references/tips link

If all else fails... a Factory Data Reset may be in order but would require that you resetup your phone afterword.

Upvote 0
I personally never use the widget (it was incompatible with Nova Launcher Prime in the past).

I installed it now and had it running for you for about 8 hours. I encountered no problems.

What I do after any minor system upgrade is ... Wipe Cache Partition.
What I do after any major system upgrade (like Lollipop to Marshmallow) is a Factory Data Reset. (Yes I did a Factory Data Reset after upgrading to Marshmallow.)
I also do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance.

Maybe it was a problem with the data coming in from the weather site? Is it still happening to you?

... Thom

Upvote 0
So I just got a Droid Turbo 2 yesterday, and updated to Marshmallow last night. Sometime today my Command Center widget started displaying 0° for the Low and High temperatures, though it still displays the current weather and location correctly. Every time I click the weather, it says "Unfortunately, Command Center has stopped working." I removed the widget from my Home screen, went into Settings, Apps, All, Show System, Droid Command Center, and clicked Force Stop, then rebooted the phone. Still get the "Command Center has stopped working" every time I try to open it. Tapping the battery section still opens Battery, tapping the time still opens Alarms. But if I tap on either of the weather sections, it crashes. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I also installed the AdBlock Plus apk earlier today, but even deactivating it doesn't work.

Edit: Just realized my wife's widget isn't working, either, so it can't be AdBlock, because she doesn't have it installed. Is DCC not compatible with Marshmallow?
I'm having the exact same issue seemed to work quite awhile on the 2nd Marshmallow OTA, then all a sudden 0° is displayed wtf.

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same issue seemed to work quite awhile on the 2nd Marshmallow OTA, then all a sudden 0° is displayed wtf.

First... that isn't the exact same issue... the OP stated the problem was that their Command Center had an error and stopped working ... not that it only shows 0° on it...

If you are getting the wrong temp/info... more than likely the webserver or the weather station it is getting the info from is down temporarily and nothing more. Sometimes, the webserver may get an update which then requires that the app accessing the info also get updated ... since it is still working on mine, I suspect it isn't the latter issue but was the former one or mine wouldn't be working fine.

Upvote 0
I personally never use the widget (it was incompatible with Nova Launcher Prime in the past).

I installed it now and had it running for you for about 8 hours. I encountered no problems.

What I do after any minor system upgrade is ... Wipe Cache Partition.
What I do after any major system upgrade (like Lollipop to Marshmallow) is a Factory Data Reset. (Yes I did a Factory Data Reset after upgrading to Marshmallow.)
I also do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance.

Maybe it was a problem with the data coming in from the weather site? Is it still happening to you?

... Thom

Wouldn't a Factory Data Reset after a major system upgrade just return it to the factory-installed Android version?

Upvote 0
Yes. You are at the "clean slate" state of the new version. You then need to reinstall all apps you had previously installed and make settings the way you previously had them.

Nova Launcher Prime and Pixel Phone Pro go a long way in letting you dump/restore settings. In Android you need to decide how you are going to attack it and be prepared to do a Factory Data Reset periodically.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wouldn't a Factory Data Reset after a major system upgrade just return it to the factory-installed Android version?

No... Thom misunderstood your question...

It resets the Android version you are currently on to it's factory settings... but not to to the previous Android version you had before the upgrade...

... the rest of what Thom said was correct... you'd then need to reinstall the apps you've added, make the changes you want etc. Using an app's backup/restore function can get those apps their settings back that you had setup previously.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones