Droid data plan and Tethering both unlimited?

Last Updated:

1. shaidtan

shaidtan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There's been a lot of talk about this lately, so when I was on the line with a Verizon rep I thought I'd ask. Granted Verizon reps aren't always the most knowledgeable so take this for what it's worth.

I asked about the data plan and she confirmed that it's the Air cards that are limited to 5GB. Currently there's no limit for phones. I then asked about tethering. She told me that since the Droid doesn't do tethering there are no limits. I inquired about third party apps that provide tethering and she responded saying that because those apps are not provided by Verizon they are not considered tethering, rather falling under the data category and are therefore unlimited.

Advertisement
  2. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Well as much as I want to believe that, I've never heard anyone at Verizon say it's okay to use third-party solutions to tether. Actually, they usually say quite the opposite. Besides, if what you said is true, it would be extremely unprofitable for them. You'd then be getting these two solutions:

1) Pay $30 a month for unlimited internet and a mobile device that can utilize it
    2) Pay $60 a month for 5GB of data and no mobile device

Which would you pick? Yeah, they don't want to make the decision that obvious for you. ;)

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I think if you start tethering 10 or 15GB of data a month Verizon WILL take notice of you and may start charging you the extra money. I rarely tether for that reason (not that I often need it but it comes in handy sometimes).

4. shaidtan

shaidtan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tend to agree that they're more likely opposed to it. And it's true that you can call twice and ask two people the same question and get different answers, therefore the statement about taking the rep's comments for what they're worth.

I too rarely tether. Even when I'm on call with work I don't take my laptop with me unless I think I may need to stop by the office. The browser on the phone works well enough for me to look up anything I may need to when I'm not near a computer to leave the computer behind.

Hell every time a rep has told me one thing the next rep (when it turns out to not be true) has basically said that it never happened. In that respect I've noticed a massive difference in their customer service in the past five years. Things used to be truthful and consistent. Now the only consistency is the reps saying what will get you off the phone until there's an issue when it changes to consistent denial. On the up side at least I don't have to worry about any sort of carrier loyalty should they limit the 'unlimited' plans.

Still though I found the comments to be interesting enough to share. File it next to what others have been told to the contrary by Verizon reps.