Droid devices apart from phone serviceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. lodestar

lodestar Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 27, 2010
    This is an odd question, and probably only relevant to me, but hopefully someone knows the answer. My current phone is older, and I've never had a droid or android phone.

Do the Droid devices still work after the Verizon service shuts down? I'm looking to buy a replacement phone like the Inc or maybe the X, and I don't want to extend the contract. Say a year from now, I cancel the VZW service. I understand I can't make calls anymore, or surf the web via the data plan. I'll still have the device - so do the following functions still work once there is no service connected to it - clock, apps not requiring a connection (like games), video player, audio player, camera, internet via wifi? Will I still be able to download apps via wifi? Get software updates?

I can live with the replacement phone price if I'm buying what is essentially a portable computer.

2. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah the phones will all function fine without them being tied to a contract. Of course, as you said, you won't be able to make use of the mobile network, but everything else will work. You can still download apps via Wifi and update them.