• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*DROID DNA reaction, discussion, and first impression thread*

This is all only based on about eight hours of use. Got mine this morning and there were quite a few people who had similar plans in the store. If you didn't get there right as the store was opening you had maybe an hour wait to get a salesperson to help you. Activation went well. They activated it on another one of my three lines on my family plan and then switched it over from that number to my number. That way I never officially "upgraded" my number and kept my unlimited data. Linked it with my car's bluetooth system and it worked flawlessly. My car even displays emails on the screen and will read them to me (2011 BMW 535xi)! The BT in the Gnex didn't support that feature in the car so this is obviously a better version of BT.

First off the battery takes longer to charge than the Gnex but its power management is excellent and it seems to have no problem transitioning between 4G and WiFi and it never seems to lose its 4G connection when out and about. The screen really is awesome and like another poster, I'm a real snob for white whites (think the Google home page) and this phone's screen is simply perfect in this regard. Compared to the dull, yellowish "whites" on the Gnex this thing is simply in a whole other league. The colors aren't as vibrant as those on the Gnex but I expected that knowing I was moving from an AMOLED screen to a S-LCD one. Blacks are surprisingly good however. The processor seems up to anything I threw at it thus far and is buttery smooth. The keyboard the phone comes with is simply horrible. No two ways about it. I downloaded SwiftKey 3 from Google Play immediately. I'd advise anyone buying this to do likewise ASAP. Infinitely better.

Battery use is superb thus far. I don't pretend to understand the tech aspects of its power management algorithms but I will tell you that they work superbly. Will you get through a full day of really heavy use with the screen on for hours at a time? No. But you should have no problem easily getting through a full day with anything approximating normal use. I already bought an Anker 5600mAh external battery pack on Amazon for $29.98. I think anyone would be well advised to consider a similar purchase just to be on the safe side.

I HATE the volume key and the on/off switch on the top. You can't feel them and they have no travel whatsoever to let you know they've been depressed or not. Horrible ergonomic engineering HTC! Shame on you. The overall build quality is beyond superb. This just shrieks quality and solidity and the juxtaposition of black and red highlights is stunning. Easily the best looking cell phone I have ever seen in the flesh.

The return, home and recent apps keys on the bottom of the phone are somewhat small and are not illuminated so when you're playing with the phone in a room that's not bright you have to simply guess where the back button and home buttons are. In fairness there's really not a lot of room down there so you're bound to hit what you're looking for but they really should be illuminated.

The jury's out about the Sense 4 UI. It will take a bit of getting used to coming from the pure Google Gnex. Right now I'd say I'd reserve judgment as I had become very comfortable and used to the pure Google Gnex. I think there will be a three or four day learning curve to really get up to speed with this Sense UI.

The built-in speaker is simply amazing. I always thought that this was an area that Apple excelled in in their iphones. This built-in speaker is easily the equal of that built into the iphone 5 and may even be better. It goes quite loud with no distortion whatsoever even at max. Quite a dramatic improvement over the Gnex let me tell you!

Haven't played with the camera yet so we'll have to await what others say about this. I'm going to be particularly interested in its low light capabilities without flash given its wide maximum aperture and it's rear illuminated sensor.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. So far the phone has been a joy and I'm really enjoying it. Hope this heps anyone still on the fence.

Upvote 0
I got mine a few hours ago. So far I love this phone, by far the best phone I've used or owned. Love the styling of it. I honestly have no complaints so far, I expected a bigger deal with the power button and volume, but both are easy for me to use. The screen is as amazing as you would think, everything just looks so clear and crisp. I spent most my time so far just setting it all back up how I like it. I also spent wayyyy too much time trying to make the clock widget look like the droid life review pics with the gun metal looking clock. Finally found that, I didnt even realize you could change that, oops.

Overall, I couldnt be happier with this thing.

Upvote 0
Holy cow, am I an idiot. Was snapping a few camera shots in low light to test the quality out. With or without the flash I was pretty disappointed. Grainy and lacking in contrast. Then I flipped the phone over and realized I had forgotten to take off the clear plastic overlay!!!
What a maroon! :D
BTW, the camera is extremely good with great detail, contrast and color saturation. And there are a ton of processing options available both pre and post shot. Very nice HTC!

Upvote 0
Holy cow, am I an idiot. Was snapping a few camera shots in low light to test the quality out. With or without the flash I was pretty disappointed. Grainy and lacking in contrast. Then I flipped the phone over and realized I had forgotten to take off the clear plastic overlay!!!
What a maroon! :D
BTW, the camera is extremely good with great detail, contrast and color saturation. And there are a ton of processing options available both pre and post shot. Very nice HTC!

Oops!

Well I spent a while getting it set up today, but didn't really dive in to give a proper review. I will give my opinion on battery life. I charged it up to about 70%. With moderate use, setting up homescreens, downloading apps, checking tapatalk, it was at 36% 6.5 hours later. Nice.

Upvote 0
Beats only works through the headphones...I thought it worked through both?.

Not out of speaker but beats works over AUX cable and I thought I heard it works over bluetooth ??? will test that out with my jambox tomorrow

can anyone post a pic of the dna next to a dinc2? or is there a site that compares phone sizes?

jrmckins!? What's up stranger ;)

I have the iphone 5 which is also a 4" phone if you wanna see those two compared...

though it is easy enough to see the DNA compared to iphone 5....

Upvote 0
So first full day. 14h off charger, 38% remaining. Screen shot showing usage attached. I'm thrilled with this. :)

a6u5uzan.jpg

Upvote 0
Dropped mine twice now :eek:

Better now though. :)

When I mentioned that I'd probably drop it a lot the sales chick said "that's why you muy a good case" I replied with "While would I buy such a nice, thin phone and then put a bulky case on it?" I've been going bareback with my cell phones since my first one many years ago.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones