Droid, Droid X and Google Voice Mail

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Aug 29, 2010.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    I got a Droid X a couple week back and I am using my Google Voice for my voice mail and love it. When I miss a call, I get a transcribed text message and an email via my Gmail account. On my X, I get a 'Play' button or arrow within my email and I just press that arrow and my recorded voice mail plays back.

I gave my wife my old Droid and just installed her a Google Voice account and tested the voice mail and she to receives a transcribed text message and email via Gmail. But, on her email there is no play button. There is a link in the email called 'play this message' (or something like that) and when I click that link it shows something downloading on the top status bar, but never plays the message. I have click and drag down the status bar from the top and then it shows 1 downloaded mp3 file. I click on that and then the default installed media player will play the message.

What is the difference between the Droid and Droid X that hers will not auto play the messages from within her Gmail?

Both phones are running 2.1 and I just have the default media player on my X.

She needs something real simple like it does on my phone or she will not use it. :eek:

Advertisement

2. Technipages

Technipages Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Security Admin for a large banking company.
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Maybe she has to login to Gmail on a web browser, then go to Settings > Labs > Google Voice player in mail and enable it?

Mitch
    Android Tips

3. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Thanks, will give it a try! I never had to do that on my X, it must have come stock like that.

4. You can bypass using Gmail to listen to messages if you install the GV app, you get the transcription and option to play the message through that. I get a regular notification and open the app instead of getting an email and opening that...she may find that easier, I do.

5. mark20044

mark20044 Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I was just going to say this same thing. The Google Voice app is the way to go. It puts your voicemail notification up with a different icon from Gmail, which is nice.