• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Eris Battery!

I'm thread-jacking here, kinda, but it's better than me making a new thread and pissing people off. Searched, couldn't find an answer.

I got my Eris in late-November and I never really noticed this until now, but my battery takes a little over two hours to charge to full capacity from about 5%. I get those 15,10, and 5% warnings, and on the last one I immediately put it for charging, but two hours later, the light's green and the meter is a solid green.

I looked on the label on the charger and it says it should take about three hours with a standard battery.

My question is, is the fact that I'm done charging around 45 minutes to an hour early than the suggested time indicative of some fault in the battery not holding enough charge? I suffer from poor usage time just like most people on here, but I just noticed this when I was trying to go through three cycles of bringing it all the way down and then charging it back up. Should I see if I can get the battery replaced, or is this normal?

Upvote 0
I'm thread-jacking here, kinda, but it's better than me making a new thread and pissing people off. Searched, couldn't find an answer.

I got my Eris in late-November and I never really noticed this until now, but my battery takes a little over two hours to charge to full capacity from about 5%. I get those 15,10, and 5% warnings, and on the last one I immediately put it for charging, but two hours later, the light's green and the meter is a solid green.

I looked on the label on the charger and it says it should take about three hours with a standard battery.

My question is, is the fact that I'm done charging around 45 minutes to an hour early than the suggested time indicative of some fault in the battery not holding enough charge? I suffer from poor usage time just like most people on here, but I just noticed this when I was trying to go through three cycles of bringing it all the way down and then charging it back up. Should I see if I can get the battery replaced, or is this normal?

I'd say your lucky if it doesnt take as long for a normal charge... just keep your apps killed and 3G/GPS off when not using it or use WiFi over 3G

Upvote 0
I will probably get the 1750mAh Battery... I did the math and people are incorrect when they tell you how much extra juice this battery will give you. This new battery will give you around 35% extra battery life...

EG for 1750mAh: 14 hours - on 1300mAh

14 hours x 34% = 4.7 hours

Total Battery time is 14 + 4.7 = 18.7 hours..... thats a big improvement, however it still doesnt last a full day...

EG for 3500mAh: 14 hours - on 1300mAh

14 hours x 169% =23.6 Hours

Total Battery time is 14 + 23.6 = 37.6 Hours... Is it worth the extra 3-4mm and the ugly... not sure...

I am getting 36 hours on my current stock battery...with a few phone calls, GPS on, bluetooth on in the car only, maybe 30-45 min of slacker radio through my bluetooth car kit, checking e-mail a few times daily and otherwise casual use. I use auto app killer, have full brightness, screen off at the stock 1 minute.
My wife's eris has lasted 2 days, but most of that was in stand-by.
What are you playing WOW or flight sim on your phone the entire 14 hours?
lol

Upvote 0
I am getting 36 hours on my current stock battery...with a few phone calls, GPS on, bluetooth on in the car only, maybe 30-45 min of slacker radio through my bluetooth car kit, checking e-mail a few times daily and otherwise casual use.
What are you playing WOW or flight sim on your phone the entire 14 hours?
lol

Actually I sometimes allow 3G access to my phone all day long... I mean it is a smart phone... it should have 3G access everywhere WiFi is not available. What apps do you use for basic functions?

Upvote 0
speaking of charging. something interesting happened to me a few weeks ago.
my battery was getting low so i plugged the phone into my computer via usb. i was watching youtube vids or playing cestos, or something that takes a lot of juice then all of a sudden a get a pop up that reads basically. "you are draining the battery faster then the phone is charging, please find another charging source" something to that effect, i thought it was funny.

Upvote 0
Actually I sometimes allow 3G access to my phone all day long... I mean it is a smart phone... it should have 3G access everywhere WiFi is not available. What apps do you use for basic functions?

I have never turned the WiFi on once....well once just to see if it worked...but I never use it. I am paying for a smartphone, I will use it as such, with 3G all the time. My GPS is on most of the time, no reason just that I forget to turn it off...
I don't watch movies on it very often...and when I play music I use the bluetooth through the car or my motorcycle helmet, so I don't use the eris speaker. I am sure that saves battery life.
I only have a few apps installed, most of the phone is in the stock setting, but my app killer kills everything but slacker radio and one medical program I use everytime it goes into stand-by.

Upvote 0
I have never turned the WiFi on once....well once just to see if it worked...but I never use it. I am paying for a smartphone, I will use it as such, with 3G all the time. My GPS is on most of the time, no reason just that I forget to turn it off...
I don't watch movies on it very often...and when I play music I use the bluetooth through the car or my motorcycle helmet, so I don't use the eris speaker. I am sure that saves battery life.
I only have a few apps installed, most of the phone is in the stock setting, but my app killer kills everything but slacker radio and one medical program I use everytime it goes into stand-by.
Which program is that? Is it just called "app killer"?

Upvote 0
I think we know for sure that 3G consumes more battery, but I realized I'm at a crossroad with my internet situation. It's just my house that gets horrible reception, and probably in turn, 3G, so I switch to wifi and it's fine. The thing is, I rarely use 3G out of my house, which I feel would amount to a 100mb or less a month. Kinda feel cheated not using nearly a fraction of my bandwidth. But when I try and use it, my battery gets raped in the mini-USB port as my phone may last four hours with frequent use in between. :(

Upvote 0
Would you know if they have any cases available to fit the larger battery? I'm thinking they wouldn't unless VZW started to sell the battery as well.

If Seidio does as they did with the BB Storm's extended batteries then they will soon sell cases that fit with the extended battery. When I got the one for my Storm I got the 2600 mAh battery, new door, and case for the $69.99 that they are getting for the 3600 mAh Eris battery. So here is to waiting for the case now...

Upvote 0
speaking of charging. something interesting happened to me a few weeks ago.
my battery was getting low so i plugged the phone into my computer via usb. i was watching youtube vids or playing cestos, or something that takes a lot of juice then all of a sudden a get a pop up that reads basically. "you are draining the battery faster then the phone is charging, please find another charging source" something to that effect, i thought it was funny.

A USB charges at something like .05 amps...

Upvote 0
You want Advanced Task Killer. It's in the Marketplace...
Got it, thanks. I managed to end the day yesterday at 30%. Moderate use, some MP3s, SMS all day, GTalk all day, a few phone calls, and some browsing. This was only using ATK half the day so I don't know if not having a task helped or using it helped. Wake time is at 16%.

Upvote 0
I got my Eris about a week ago. Since then, I've been reading a LOT about the inadequacies of the battery. I have to agree. I started with 100% this morning at 6AM. Since then, I've done nothing except read one email, go out to my home screen 6 or 7 times and check my Status 8 times - and I'm currently at 67% at 3:30. Seems like a lot of deterioration for a small amount of usage. Anyway, as I've said, I've been reading a lot and have several comments/questions that I would appreciate feedback on.

I currently have my WiFi set to Never Sleep. I have a strong WiFi signal here at home. Does this make sense in terms of decreasing battery usage?
I have Advanced Task Killer installed. I have killed Footprints, VoiceDialer, Market, and Albums. I know I could kill others like Weather, but without those, what is the sense of having a SmartPhone? It would be like having a regular cell phone, wouldn't it?
I could buy a new, larger battery, but some people say that the 1750 size fits fine, others say that there is a gap and you need a case. Which is it or can it be that some fit correctly and others don't - and it's just a crapshoot?
I'm sure that I will find other questions that you all on the board can help me with, but any comments on these (for starters) would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones