Droid Eris & gmailGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mteng

mteng New Member This Topic's Starter

This is the first time I've ever joined/participated in any kind of online forum... so forgive me if I break any rules. :rolleyes:

I got my htc Droid Eris Saturday night. The woman helping me at Verizon informed me that I needed to create a gmail account bc it automatically backs up information from my phone to my gmail account. So she created an account for me. I told her to use my full name as my username (i.e. johnsmith@gmail.com). Well, she misspelled my last name... So all today, I have been trying to figure out a way to unlink that email address and create a new one. I went back to the Verizon store and spent over two hours with them trying to solve my problem. Eventually, we deleted the incorrect gmail address... but that's as far as we got. Currently, I have a new gmail account that will not link to my Droid Eris bc of the old gmail account. And since my phone is still showing that it is linked to that old account, I cannot access Market to download any applications bc the old account is showing error (BC IT'S DELETED!) Ohmigosh. So you can see my frustration.

Basically, I need someone amazing to fix this. I figure I'll end up having to do a hard reset (I have no idea how to do that either on an htc Droid Eris) but that is unfortunate bc I will lose all my personalization. But oh well, I suppose?

Please help! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. lauren

lauren New Member

wish i could help - i've got a variation - maybe details will give a clue.

bought droid, used an old gmail address. then went home, got a new gmail address that I wanted to use. Added gmail account to droid, then went to add it to my calendar and it wouldn't let me - it got the gmail fine, but wouldn't sync calendar or contacts.

went to verizon, then couldn't figure it out.. When I went to delete the old gmail account - got a warning box, saying 'some applications in use use that gmail account' and went on to say only way to do it was a factory reset... haven't done that yet....

3. wsonner

wsonner New Member

But seriously...she misspelled "Smith"??
    ;-)

4. reitze@verizon.net

reitze@verizon.net Member

I had&fixed the same Eris problem after deciding to switch new phones (Eris & Mot) with my wife (she got the Eris which we both like better).

I didn't have problems reconfiguring the Mot-Droid. I believe that's only because I didn't induce it by disconnecting it from an acount and then deleting >100 contacts. That's what mteng indicated happened to him and what I induced on the Eris. Since the Eris already had an address book for an email account it wasn't linked with... the delete cycle hung. For a while I even made progress (149... 148... 141... but many more that stayed at the same number). So it's possible the OS level of the Motorola may fix it, or only a few would clear... but don't count on it.

After hours of trying everything possible and reading the blogs i decided to go for the factory device reset (encouraged by a blogger's suggestion! THANKS). That worked way better than I'd expected since I discovered in the process that most of my earlier selections of apps and so-on went full circle (I really liked the default screens at that point, especially for her to be using it!).

After confirming the orders to force the reset it was like the first time I turned it on out of the box as new. It went black then white with the little droids while seemingly stuck for several minutes.

It called verizon and "programmed" itself. Then as prompted I put in ALL her account info (FB too) and when it was up her phone book was there (arg the previous delay for Motorola Phone Tools install w/ sw online update acknowledgment for the s/w to "see" the phone just to pull the old phone book out of her Razr).

To one side she has text, the other email and the I added the phone book on her main screen because inside the "Phone" mode of the Eris, the phone book is not accessible (it is in the "Phone" mode of the Motorola ).

I should also mention I noticed a pic that was on the phone prior to the reset. I noticed it because it was there without me even doing anything (compared with real 1st time having to take some pictures). So it doesn't clear absolutely everything.

Hope that helps y'all. I'm thinking these things are revolutionary technology taking hold (sort of like cars, phones, internet, cell, ...). Hope we're having fun!

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

all that is really linked is the gmail app itself.

go to settings>applications>manage applications

find gmail and clear data

go back to gmail app and it should ask for a login

IF NOT

go back to manage apps and start clearing anything with google on it. its ok, brand new phone, you wont lose anything

this worked fine for me and is easier then a reset

6. reitze@verizon.net

As Caddyman suggests, I did try for hours (feel foolish but know I'm not dumb in that area)...

I cleared everything possible before clearing the phone (ok I left the photos there). All I can guess is there could be a threshold of how many contacts it can clear while not connected.
    ...settings>applications>manage applications
    ...find gmail and clear data
    ...go back to gmail app and it should ask for a login {but doesn't and won't, even reinstall the apps}
    ...IF NOT...go back to manage apps and start clearing anything with google on it. its ok, brand new phone, you wont lose anything...

but gets endless...
    Reset the thing it's faster! Unless you can say you did it faster than the setup time... anyone know what it is? Is 7 minutes a good guess when including the typing for the accounts? Or is it 20 hours to include getting phone numbers out of antiques?

7. Caddyman

um, to do what i did. i had this same exact problem. at the store i couldn't remember my gmail login so i had the guy make one up. i got home and just like you, i was hosed. i searched all over and found the hard reset option, also found my suggestion posted on a forum too.

i tried it, it took all of 3 minutes, and it worked just fine.

in manage apps, anything that said google i clicked, then clicked clear data, then went back to manage apps. there are maybe 10 things in manage apps with google on them. then when i went back to gmail app it asked for my login....it was easy...no foolin.

8. reitze@verizon.net

Caddyman,
    Your notes hint to me there may be more to the puzzel than we've figured out yet. 1 common element seems to be having contacts jammed in a delete cycle without a gmail (internet side) account. With that stuck it won't even clear the dead account (if I'm remembering it right a few days later). By the time I did the reset I had uninstalled every app I had loaded and every bit of account information I could. And I tried that kill/retry loop way to many times {~~~ is doing something over and over w/o expectation of good result}.
    At least we've posted our experiences and others may add details and solve it.
    PS: neither of our phones have ever sw crashed so they're off to a good start as far as I've seen.

9. bmknapp

bmknapp Member

Im having a similar issue with my gmail account only my account was disabled after having my eris less than a week. Being that the gmail account is linked to the phone, am i simply SOL with no other options beside a hard reset and creating a new gmail account?

10. reitze@verizon.net

Caddyman, did you have only a few contacts in the phone when you changed over the account info? <10? <50? <100?...

I had >150 of my account contacts in her phone stopping it from clearing the in-phone account. My impression of mteng's post was he had allot too. >>20?

So I'm wondering if that's part of the endless loop is quantity of contacts? What do you think?

11. reitze@verizon.net

bmknapp, best I can tell it may depend on how many contacts were in the phone when the account-linkage got cut (server-internet-side). I'm speculating lower #'s could improve your odds. Let us know.
    PS: I'd recommend that once you've tried for > 20 minutes just do hard-reset the device because it takes less time than that to do so (~10 minutes?). Otherwise your experience sharing could help it get better illuminated here.
    Thanks.

12. bmknapp

bmknapp Member

As it turns out, Reitze, apparently Google has been disabling alot of gmail accounts recently for "unsolicited email spamming". Anyways i attempted(to no avail) to recover the account and they claim a confirmation code was sent to me as a text but I've yet to recieve it. But until then im unable to access any gmail associated apps such as the market to download any backup apps that would guide me through a hard reset...it's a vicious circle lol.

P.s: I've yet to attempt a hard reset as I'm hesitant about losing my current setup and apps, and am not looking forward to creating another gmail account only to have it disabled yet again.

13. reitze@verizon.net

Thanks bmknapp for the update and sorry to hear it isn't going better. Not sure what you have so don't know your threshold but can share it's about 10 minutes to hook into a fesh gmail account. And it's another 10 or so to take a .csv dumped out of outlook (like from an old phone w/ hours from phone toools...) ok, so in my case the hard reset was an easy choice. Good luck and hope to hear you get a break through.

14. Caddyman

no rez i had 0 contacts on the phone at the time i cleared the data as the gmail acct the person put in was a fake, so no synchronizing.

15. reitze@verizon.net

Thanks Caddyman. That confirms the cause of the lockup is affected by the number of contacts when disconnected from the account.

I do like how I can update my contacts via computer and as fast as I do they are on my phone (without having to connect it and synchronize like before).

16. bmknapp

bmknapp Member

Update, Reitze. Word from Google was that the issue was resolved and my account should be fine, but that was untrue for another couple days. Finally caved and performed the manufacturer reset. Was a bit peeved to have had to re-enter all my contacts but now all my apps are up and running again. So my advice to anyone who experiences a disabled Gmail account would be: Don't wait, just reset the phone right away.