Droid eris on eolGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12 Member This Topic's Starter

Now I know the droir eris has been on the eol list for a while now. But I was wondering will we see froyo. Now this post isnt all about froyo. Cause a rep told me the eris would be eating froyo by august 13th. And if the eris is put to sleep will verizon offer something? Being the fact that the phone was not on there very long. Will we be offered another phone for free?

Advertisement
  2. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

The Moto Droid is slated to get froyo by August 13, not the Eris.

Just because a phone is EoL doesn't mean that it won't be supported (by Verizon) or will stop working. There hasn't been official word one way or another about Froyo for the Eris, but it's very likely that we will never see an official update. (You can already get Froyo if you are rooted)

3. Nnnnr12

See thats it i dont want to root my eris. I want to have the ota. And if it never comes out i will get a droid x i guess:(...

4. funkyfender

The Eris is essentially 3 year old hardware. I'd look at getting a Moto Droid, Droid X, or Droid Incredible (if you want Sense) if you want Froyo. It's been confirmed for all of them.

Nnnnr12 likes this.
  5. ToastPwnz

ToastPwnz Well-Known Member

Old hardware or not, Verizon owes us something at least. Most people payed two year contracts and don't want to have to pay their way out of those and then pay for a new phone on top of that.

6. funkyfender

How so? There is nothing stopping you from purchasing a new or used phone off contract (a used Moto Droid can be had for about $200 while the Eris is selling for about $150-$175).

We already got one major update (1.5 -> 2.1). Moreover, this really has nothing to do with Verizon. It's up to HTC to support the phone with any further updates or not to.

7. ToastPwnz

I don't think you understand my point, why would I waste money buying myself out of a contract to waste more money on another phone right after? HTC could easily fix the bugs in Froyo and push it out to us. If developers have made it possible for rooted people, it can't be that hard for HTC's developers to do.

8. funkyfender

My point is, if you aren't happy with the Eris, you should sell it outright (ie. Craigslist) and purchase a new phone that you do like. You don't need to cancel your contract to do this.

We were originally supposed to get an update in December(?) and it took until May. I think it's fair to assume that another six months of development and testing would be very expensive for HTC for little return.

9. ToastPwnz

Personally I think that was HTC being lazy, I understand that there are bugs to work out, but I think six months is pushing it a little.
    Also I'm quite happy with my Eris, the only issue I had with it was a faulty trackball which I got resolved in one call to tech support. It just annoys me that the phone itself isn't even that old, and HTC/Verizon already stuck it on their EOL list.

10. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

How do they 'owe' us? Was anyone here promised an upgrade to Froyo when they purchased their phone? No. Just because your phone is eol before your contract is up doesn't necessitate you ending your contract early and buying a new phone. It still works, does it not?

Our desire for Froyo does not make it Verizons obligation to provide it to us.

11. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Look guys...phone technology moves at breakneck speeds and the phones that you see out such as the Incredible, Droid X, etc, will be EOL'd pretty much as quickly as the Moto Droid and Eris were. We have LTE on the horizon and the phone makers are itching to keep the Android wave going strong. There is always a faster and better phone coming out.

The phone is still fully supported. If you call in to get warranty service, they will replace your phone. If you need to know how to use a feature, they will still show you how to do it. You just don't like that you have a phone with a slower processor than the top dogs out right now. That's not their fault. They don't owe you anything. You bought the phone at a subsidized price, therefore they asked you for an obligation to stick with them in return. If you don't want to do that, you have the full ability to buy a phone at regular price and leave when you want to. In other parts of the world, phone subsidies are very uncommon. Those folks pay $600 for a phone. Period.

Sorry, you caught the beginning of a massive smartphone revolution called Android. Nobody could have guessed that technology phone tech would leap so fast and furiously. Edit: Unless you realize that Google owns the world. :D

mikieelmo and Hypo Luxa like this.
  12. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I got the Eris because I wanted a smartphone and couldn't stand my husband's blackberry. It does everything that I wanted it to do, and more than I ever imagined a phone could do. So it has reached it's EOL. Mine still has plenty of life left in it and has already received one major upgrade from what I purchased. I got more than I paid for with this phone. If I want more still, I can always root it. I don't think Verizon or HTC owe me another software upgrade. If it comes, great. I'm not expecting it.

snorander likes this.
  13. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

Well said, sir!

14. mikieelmo

mikieelmo New Member

I just rooted my eris yesterday and am really happy with my phone . The eris has surpassed anything i could imagine a phone could do and served me well . My next android phone will be a htc ,but i am in no hurry .The eris has a lot of life in it !

15. Kid Twist

Kid Twist Well-Known Member

Let's say you buy a 2009 car, and then for 2010, the manufacturer decides to put a more powerful enging into that model.

Do you expect the carmaker to come to you and offer to replace your engine with the newer one? Of course not. You bought the car and if you maintain it, it still works just as well as it ever did, and delivers exactly the performance you paid for.

Same thing here, except that we actually did get one major upgrade.

I'll admit, I'm sometimes envious of the speed and features I see on the newest handsets. But I do not want to get caught up in an arms race. Let's say I ditched my Eris now for something like an Incredible. In six months, there will be phones with still more features: Android 3.0, 2 GHz processors, better screens ... what am I going to do then? Buy yet another phone?

Fact is, I like my Eris. It does more more than I ever dreamed such a device could do. I can certainly continue to use and enjoy it a while longer. Maybe next year, when we see how much of a game-changer Gingerbread is, I'll consider a switch.

16. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Yes you do. You really, really do.

If there are any more significant updates they'll be patched. once they get a froyo rom working 100% we'll be set.

17. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

Screw Froyo and cup its served in :). The stock version would probably run like crap anyway on the Eris just like stock 2.1 runs like crap.

18. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Then don't complain about not getting Froyo from Verizon when root could get you it now.

19. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

For the record, no one ever said that we WONT officially get froyo, so please calm down!

20. Nnnnr12

I dont know how to root......:eek:

21. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

...or at least the Earth. ;)