• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Eris vs Iphone

So, with that example, Apple products are for those who really don't know what they are doing, and therefore get ripped off by paying so much money for a device that will do very simple tasks for them.

On the other hand, you can pay half the price for other products that perform just as well as the Apple product, but require a little bit more effort/knowledge on the user's part.

I'll stick with knowing how to do things myself and not getting ripped off. :)

Upvote 0
Assuming all the rumors of Iphone going to verizon are true. Some one please tell me why I should get the Droid Eris instead.

I am really on the fence about this. :thinking:
i dont' know anything about the iphone except that when I picked one up after I bought my Droid Eris, it felt clunky and old compared to my Droid. I am an art dealer so aesthetics matter a lot! And in the San Francisco Bay Area, AT&T drops calls all the time so it's really annoying.
the autosynch with Google contacts is fantastic. (I import into Google contacts that from my customer database now)
As small business owner I can do with the Droid what I would have to do with Exchange Server...plus it's Voice Search function is fantastic. I think it's a sleeping giant and Google is WAY ahead of the pack.
Most complaints I hear at the Verizon store are from people who don't realize it's a whole new way of looking at the phone. It's all about Search and Synch.. Awesome and will only get better.

Upvote 0
ok solid I will have to look in to that.

I have an Eris, and am happy with it. There are a few quirks about the OS that I hope will be worked out by 2.1 (if we ever get it!). I've used doubletwist and it worked, although it would be nice to just be able to have iTunes recognize your phone.

You might also want to look into the Palm Pre or Pixi. If iTunes syncing is something that matters to you these phones should be able to sync with iTunes. When I got a new phone a month ago I initially got a Pre with sprint then switched to the Eris a la verizon a few months later. WebOS is nice, and I think is better at multi-tasking than the Eris (although both are better than the iPhone).

Some reviewers have complained about the battery life on the Pre, but I had no problem with it, and would put it on par with the Eris. Another plus for the Pre is a QUERTY keyboard. The build quality is supposed to be a little better in the verizon version of the Pre, but I'm still a little iffy about the mini usb port cover.

I'd recommend the Eris or the Pre. As most users have pointed out, 95% of the applications for the iPhone are worthless, and good luck ever getting Flash for it (which I believe the Pre already has, and the Eris should be getting). Plus, after today, I don't think Verizon is getting the iPhone, unless they are waiting till the absolute end of the month to announce it.

Upvote 0
So, with that example, Apple products are for those who really don't know what they are doing, and therefore get ripped off by paying so much money for a device that will do very simple tasks for them.

On the other hand, you can pay half the price for other products that perform just as well as the Apple product, but require a little bit more effort/knowledge on the user's part.

I'll stick with knowing how to do things myself and not getting ripped off. :)

Wow... I find that arrogant. Even if true, the tone could be better. And if a GUI brings someone who has trouble figuring something out to "computing," then I'm all for it. And the associated cost, well worth it!

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much for your input! Since the Iphone did not end up being announced it made the choice super easy! :)

Although, can someone comment on the accuracy of this thread

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/23773-issues-eris-phone.html

Is the phone really that bad with mis-dailing?

Thanks again!

I have not had any of those problems. While you are talking, there is a proximity sensor that puts your screen into sleep mode so you can't accidentally touch the screen. I have not had a single problem with the issues that poster brought up. So, in my opinion, the problems are user error.

Upvote 0
Wow... I find that arrogant. Even if true, the tone could be better. And if a GUI brings someone who has trouble figuring something out to "computing," then I'm all for it. And the associated cost, well worth it!

You might feel differently about that if you are the one having to deal with every minutia of their smart phone life. I have had to do this in my office for years. I tend to be the only one interested in learning about new tech (it is who I am, can't help it) and everyone knows it. I have had to set up and teach the uses of almost every smart phone out there and it is not pretty.

There are many people that should NEVER come in contact with a smart phone.

I fully believe that people urging the undeniably stupid to get smart phones belong in the seventh ring of hell.

Upvote 0
I personally have accidentally called a couple times while not being careful about touching the screen. I think that's just the result of lack of discipline for someone who never used a touch anything before getting the Eris. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues at all.

As for the comparison to the iphone, my best friend has one, and when he talks about the best features, they are all matched by the Eris. I like the size and look of the Eris better, and multi-tasking. The pull down notification ability rocks.

In my opinion, it really comes down to whether you are a mac/itunes fan or not, whether you like to customize or not, and a bonus to the Eris if you use gmail/voice/calendar etc.. For me it really isn't even much of a comparison, but I can't stand itunes, really like to be able to customize, and use google services a lot. So for me, Eris wins in a land slide.

Upvote 0
You might feel differently about that if you are the one having to deal with every minutia of their smart phone life. I have had to do this in my office for years. I tend to be the only one interested in learning about new tech (it is who I am, can't help it) and everyone knows it. I have had to set up and teach the uses of almost every smart phone out there and it is not pretty.

There are many people that should NEVER come in contact with a smart phone.

I fully believe that people urging the undeniably stupid to get smart phones belong in the seventh ring of hell.[/quote]

Pretty funny... maybe we should start calling you Dante?

Seriously, unless your job is the technician, I feel your pain. As an engineer surrounded by a bunch of medical professionals (I work as the lead on a development team for govt. pricing of pharmaceuticals, so I'm surrounded by physician, nurses, and pharmacists + 1 lawyer and 1 epidemiologist... one pharmacist also has a degree in engineering, so he's O.K.) and they always come to me with their computer problems because I can fix it by the time the help desk sets calls them back to set up an appointment to come see them. Yes, it can be annoying.

But as a previous poster said, if it can help grandma, then it's worth it. I have kids, and the grandparents like to be in the loop. Frankly, a PC is not as easy to use as a Mac for them, and they aren't as vulnerable to bugs.

Also, like I said, as a software engineer I like the graphics capabilities of Mac over PC (think AutoCAD), but I also work/live in an environment where, frankly, cheaper people will buy a PC instead of a Mac, so compatibility is more on the PC side for virtually everything.

And that's actually a reverse-frustration I have with the Eris (or just the Droid market as a whole). All the apps aren't here yet (you've even posted about Urban Spoon) and the device can't sync with a Mac (which I own), and therefore my iTunes isn't there (yes, I know you can pull in the music files separately, but again, that's a workaround that has to be figured out - with the iPhone, it just works - and on both a Mac and a PC!). So if Mac can figure it out and make it work, how come Google/HTC didn't? Just a small beef with me, but it goes back to a poster's statement of who I'd give the phone to if it wasn't for me.

I would not give one to my parents, but I would give them an iPhone. It's just simpler. Not better, but simpler.

Upvote 0
But I will add to my above post... I WILL NOT own the iPhone while that device is limited to the AT&T market! That is why I went with the Motorola Droid (and then switched to the Eris) in the first place. After all, it's still a phone, and I have to be able to use it to make calls, hear the people I'm speaking with, and have them hear me - and not drop them just because I've traveled a few feet.

And saying all that, I'll also state (again) now that I've had the HTC Eris device for a little more than a month I actually prefer the hand-feel of it over the iPhone.

If only a few apps could be developed to make it more compatible with a Mac I'd never even consider switching, but I don't know who would slam the brakes on that first - Google or Apple. O.K. - Probably Apple, but still - can you imagine the possibilities? Makes me, well... this is a family friendly forum.

Upvote 0
Also, like I said, as a software engineer I like the graphics capabilities of Mac over PC (think AutoCAD), but I also work/live in an environment where, frankly, cheaper people will buy a PC instead of a Mac, so compatibility is more on the PC side for virtually everything.

IDK, I work at one of the largest engineering companies in the world and we use PC's, Dell PC's. We use AutoCAD, Microstation, PDMS, PDS, etc....

Actually I use a little dell laptop, it stays docked with dual 20" LCD monitors. It will run a session of autocad, microstation, 2 sessions of PDMS (3d design), a session of review (3d rendering), outlook, Windows media player, firefox with 3 tabs, and a few others things just fine with no lag.

Upvote 0
IDK, I work at one of the largest engineering companies in the world and we use PC's, Dell PC's. We use AutoCAD, Microstation, PDMS, PDS, etc....

Actually I use a little dell laptop, it stays docked with dual 20" LCD monitors. It will run a session of autocad, microstation, 2 sessions of PDMS (3d design), a session of review (3d rendering), outlook, Windows media player, firefox with 3 tabs, and a few others things just fine with no lag.

I didn't say PCs wouldn't run AutoCAD, but I will say Mac Graphics capabilities are superior. Their interface with the graphics card is cleaner and the OS calls are simpler and more logical than the multiple calls a PC has to make. I have never met another software engineer who would state otherwise.

PCs are great systems, but Microsoft OS is not as simple as a Mac OS, and EVERYTHING runs within those paramaters (again, I'm speaking PC's here, not setting things up like Sun, Linux, etc.).

And, again, trying to keep it simple and related to Android v. iPhone... I'd love to see Google do to the mobile phone/smart phone market what they did to the search engine market. But so far, the Marketplace HAS NOT caught up with the App Store. And the App Store has some cool apps I'd love to have. And I want my "Google" phone to go to any device I have (including my Mac!).

Just sayin' - and I still love my Eris, but expanding the capabilities would be SWEET!

Upvote 0
I guess I lucked out in life. Both my parents are in their 70s and tech junkies. The have desktops, laptops and netbooks. They have smart phones and had PDAs. They even have ridiculous touch screen appliances in the kitchen.:rolleyes: I helped set up their very first computer and they both laughed about how easy it was and have never asked for help again. My mom was actually emailing me info about the Nexus One before I even heard about it.

Upvote 0
I guess I lucked out in life. Both my parents are in their 70s and tech junkies. The have desktops, laptops and netbooks. They have smart phones and had PDAs. They even have ridiculous touch screen appliances in the kitchen.:rolleyes: I helped set up their very first computer and they both laughed about how easy it was and have never asked for help again. My mom was actually emailing me info about the Nexus One before I even heard about it.

wow my moms the same way :)
she went to school for electrical (something or another).

Upvote 0

Not that there are no people out there in their late 60s/70s/etc. that are tech savvy, but I'd say yes, you lucked out. They are not in the majority, and even if they were, as someone who's parents and in-laws are not tech savvy, if I give them a gift or advise them, it's based on their usability and not mine.

Upvote 0
The people that are 60-70 now were probably the ones that were taken right out of high school, taught for two years how to use a computer (and this around the time they were first invented) and were workers at companies that might not be around today. Don't underestimate them. It's like anything in life, like sports, games, etc. You don't know it because you didn't take the time to learn it.

Upvote 0

Wow! Thank you for this incredibly useful and insightful post. It is nice to see the new people contributing so much instead of just asking a whole bunch of questions. I know that I, as well as everyone else in the forum, has had their lives enriched by all that you have said here.

Keep up the great work.

Oh

BTW

Could you do me one small favor?

STFU!

Upvote 0
I switched from an iPhone 3gs to the Eris on November 12. I can tell you that as a phone, the Eris is far superior, thanks in part to the dismal state of AT&T's network. But the iPhone wins in every other respect.

If the iPhone in fact does come to Verizon, I'll probably be going back. It is more polished, has many more apps available, and the number of great accessories from thousands of retailers both physical (brick and mortar) and online really make it stand above any other phone out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones