Droid Eris vs. my old computerGeneral

1. e1000sn

e1000sn Active Member

My first computer was a hand-me-down from my father. It had a Pentium II, 200ish mhz. I think it had 64 MB ram and a 2 gig hard drive. I'm pretty sure that my Eris is faster and better than this computer in every respect except for screen size, but I wonder, how does the Eris's processor compare to other x86 processors out there?

Has anybody benchmarked arm based CPUs against old pentium CPUs? Does anybody know how our phone processors stack up against computer processors?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ithejdi

ithejdi Well-Known Member

e1000sn likes this.
  3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

In terms of sheer power, most likely no. An Eris is only capable of doing maybe 3-5 megaflops per second. In comparison, a Moto Droid can do around 30 and its probably barely reaching the capability of a Pentium II. Of course, megaflops aren't everything, and the architecture is vastly different from an x86 so its more efficient. And your Eris does have more RAM than that computer, so it can process things more efficiently, and has more storage. The CPU's featureset is probably far more advanced than a Pentium II as well. For example, a Pentium II will struggle at decoding an MP4 video because it lacks certain instructions necessary for decoding MP4, yet your Eris can do it with ease. And the Eris has the most obvious advantage, its entirely portable and pocket-able.
    e1000sn likes this.
  4. e1000sn

e1000sn Active Member

I don't know. That 15 inch CRT was pretty nice! :p
  5. Yoboebirdo

Yoboebirdo Well-Known Member

It certainly is faster than my old Toshiba Pentium 90MHz computer with 8 MB of RAM and a 400 MB hard drive! Ahh that computer was so painful!
  6. thecoard

thecoard Well-Known Member

It's 2010. It's easily going to be faster than a computer from 1999. But not something I'd brag or be happy about. Still sucks as a phone.
  7. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

CISC VS RISC lol..

id go with the CISC all day long..
  8. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I'm sure an older computer running Linux would still be faster than the Eris, but since computers are typically running Windows, you can certainly do your basic browsing, email, etc. faster on the Eris.

I often take my 900MHz Pentium M laptop (about 5 years old) to the Coffee Bean, and in the time it takes Windows XP to boot up, I've already responded to all my work emails and read all the new forum posts on my phone. If I were running Linux on the laptop, it would be a different story.