Droid Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. CuriousDroid

CuriousDroid New Member This Topic's Starter

So I have never owned an Android smartphone (or any other smartphone for that matter). I have the opportunity to purchase a used Droid Eris (in very good condition) for $150. Should I do it? I do not want to sign a new contract, so anything more recent is sort of out of the question for me price-wise.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

People love it. Is it the brand spankingest new phone? no. It is good. Yes, very. I'd do it. They're also selling regular motorola droids on ebay for about the same price fyi.

3. Solidis

Solidis Well-Known Member

I used to have a Droid Eris its a great phone.. i only upgraded because i wanted to have something faster.. But if ur gonna start with the Drodi eris.. Go for it. F.Y.I. you will need the $29.99.. unlimited data plan.. and if u do get it let me be 1 of many to say welcome to the world of ANDROID!!!

4. Chaoz

Chaoz Banned

You are making a big mistake. Do NOT spend $150 on a Eris. Dont even spend $100.

The Droid Eris uses an old Arm11 CPU design exactly the same as the original G1 (first android phone from years ago). The hardware was outdated even when the phone was released. It is not powerful enough to run Android smoothly as you can see from all the countless threads of people complaining about how slow the phone is. The other MAJOR issue with the Eris is the low system RAM it has. After the phone boots you only have about 80mb of ram left which is nothing. Slows the phone down alot.

Everyone I know who owns the Eris regrets getting it due to the poor performance. Dont be fooled by how smoothly the home screens slide because when it comes down to actual smartphone use the Eris chokes.

5. BellaSkye

BellaSkye Member

only if you root it, honestly if i wasn't able to root my eris i would have thrown it away.

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Pretty much that. Its not worth $150. Especially since an original Moto Droid would probably be about the same amount and be a much better phone overall. If you got it for free, or maybe even $50, it wouldn't say its too bad. Root fixes a lot of performance issues (not all, mind you).

7. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

The only happy Eris owners are those who are willing to root it. If you're going to use it stock, be ready for problems. Also keep in mind that devices below Android 2.2 (the Eris will not be getting 2.2) do not have any hands-free voice dialing capabilities, so if you need that, definitely pass.

Also keep in mind that the Eris has been plagued by hardware problems--the seller could be trying to get rid of it because it's not working and he's tired of exchanges. This poll here shows that only 60% of the people on this board have had success with their first Eris: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/158502-how-many-eri-have-you-gone-through.html

Because of those problems, you also might want to consider support. HTC has very poor customer support. They're inept, and sometimes they refuse to provide support because they just don't feel like it.

Either save up for a new Motorola device (or the Samsung Fascinate which should be released in a few days), or see if you can snag an original Droid used--they've got the 2.2 update. Avoid HTC.

8. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

It's a good phone but its definitely not worth $150...even off contract. If price is a concern and your stuck on verizon then dry getting an original droid for cheaper.

9. Bad Cornflakes

Bad Cornflakes Active Member

I will sell you mine for $100. Send me a pm if you are interested.