Droid Extended Battery Released.

Last Updated:

1. quixand

quixand Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

right, that happened like a week or so ago. The slim replacement is the one I'm interested in.

3. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

4. fam

fam Well-Known Member

Ill wait until it gets cheaper than 65 bucks.

5. ThermalGuy

ThermalGuy Active Member

These guys are Freakin EXPENSIVE! I browsed the Droid offerings.
    Hard plastic cover + clip on belt carrier $49.95?? Give me a break!:confused:

6. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member

Also this is only pre-order right now.
    Their web site says shipping on 10 Jan

7. fam

fam Well-Known Member

When I can get good extended batteries for 20 bucks on ebay then I'll party like a man-diva.

8. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Their products are expensive, but they're also very nice. You get what you pay for. Seidio stuff has always been kind of a luxury for my phones but the products I have purchased from them have been awesome.

9. clozer

clozer Member

Ha Ha Ha! I agree. :D

10. ThermalGuy

ThermalGuy Active Member

That's an oxymoron. Good + eBay. :rolleyes: Cheap ass knock-offs. Probably blow up your phone.:eek:

11. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Wow...huge failure on Seidio's part...

Wonder why they didn't put more capacity into the same size like they have on the Blackberry line-up...

Seidio gets coal in their stocking this year. :(

12. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

so it's 87% longer life? So what like almost another day? That's pretty rad.

But what's with the custom door they send you? Does the battery take up more room? Will there be bulge in the back now?

13. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member

Yes there will be a bulge. Web site said 9mm. That is a big bulge if you ask me. When it is only 13.7mm to start with.

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

It is huge....for road trips only IMO.

15. fam

fam Well-Known Member

If they can get better capacity with the stock size thats what Id like...then Ill make a collection of them so I never have to worry about being out (leave one in my glove box or console, one at work, one at home) even though I charge it at work and at home...im just neurotic like that. 1 2 3 4 5 !!!!!!!!

16. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

thats what a car charger is for.

17. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

^Same^

18. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Seems to me that technology might be catching up with Seidio ;) In the past, they've always been able to squeeze more power out of the same size battery than the manufacturer batteries, but not so this time.

Unless they just really haven't tried yet and are waiting to unleash something better - which seems unlikely since they already have a standard sized battery listed - I think it's possible that the Droid's stock battery has already reached the peak of efficiency for its size and type.

19. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

The thing about the batteries that everyone needs to realize, is that there is only so much energy that can be fit into the space provided by the cell(s).

The only thing that can really increase the power per volume is a change in chemistry. Batteries are getting more and more energy dense these days, with many innovations on the way. Some will be able to increase capacity by as much as 10x.

Sometimes the OEM battery makers don't design cells in the most efficient way for the given chemistry, and someone like Seidio can come along and make it better. Or they can tweak the chemistry.

Not TOO much can be done, since major changes in battery chemistry could require different charging methods that the device can't support.

I think the best thing we can do when it comes to a device like the Droid, which can burn through a battery within a day of use, is to plan ahead. Get a car charger, have a spare charger or a cable at the office so you can plug in there. Turn off WiFi and GPS when you're not using them, etc etc...

20. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

The phone is already heavy as sin. It will bulge like to old skool StarTac and be even heavier.

And cheap batteries = BOOM

21. xanthias

xanthias Member

Seidio's Droid page for batteries now shows a Innocell Slim Extended Battery "Under Development", so maybe a more attractive mAh offering that will fit in the existing case is on its way

22. OldHooky

OldHooky Well-Known Member

Yeah right! ;)

23. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

i hate when people comment on how heavy it is when i dont think its that heavy at all. im no muscle woman, but maybe you need to hit the gym more this year guy :) j/k

as for the battery (the new door specifically) - wth were they thinking! if i wanted my phone pregnant i would at least allow u to open it and stash money or something in there :x

24. sly

sly Member

Ya, it has been there for awhile. I think CobaltDragon got himself confused in relation to that, because what he linked was the standard sized battery in slim format. What you guys want if you don't want a more bulky battery is the Slim Extended Battery that, as xanthias has pointed out, is still in development.

Innocell Slim Extended Life Battery

In regards to price, buy a cheap cover, buy a cheap set of ear plugs, buy a cheap screen protector, but for the love of god don't skimp out on the battery. You really want to put a questionably made battery into your phone??? From EBAY?! Cosmetic items don't really harm the phone, just change the appearance. That battery goes inside your phone! Seidio is known by blackberry users to be an extremely high quality product maker.

That is just my advice, take it or leave it. As others have said in this thread: You get what you pay for.

25. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member

What voltage is required for the Droid? Are there any smarts in the battery?

Could we just slap a few LiIon AA/AAA on the back? :)

Seriously, I lost my bat cover for a while and thought I was goging to have to go with electrical tape holding the battery in. The cover is a POS.