Droid for wife

Last Updated:

1. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I found out the other day that I qualify for a pretty good discount with Verizon through my work, and thought it would be a good time to get my wife on the smartphone bandwagon.

The question is, which one?

The Incredible? The Droid X? The Droid 2?

It looks like the Droid 2 is the only one with a physical keyboard, right?

Reviews I've read say the Incredible has a size/GUI advantage over the X, but the X has a better screen/camera/battery life than the Incredible.

I haven't heard anything about the D-2.

Battery life is a bit of a concern, which is pointing towards getting the X.

Are there any reasons why I should push one phone over the other, in terms of performance or ease of use?

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Well what does she like? Physical keyboards? Virtual keyboards? Smaller phones? Bigger phones? Motoblur? HTC Sense?

You guys should definitely try out the phones in person if you already haven't. That helps alot with how the phone feels to you.

BAC5.2 likes this.
  3. BAC5.2

What in the world is Motoblur?

Her only Droid experience is with my Rooted/OC'd D-1 (actually, the same setup you have, BBv.4, Chev LV1.1, and LauncherPro). She didn't mind the on-screen keyboard in Landscape mode, and didn't really care for the physical keyboard (neither do I, personally).

I'm looking for input about things you won't be able to tell from a 5 minute test-drive in the V-store. Real world battery life, smoothness overall, things like that.

She won't use the phone for much more than e-mail, maps/nav, probably Pandora, and Google Calendar. Those are her top priorities. Pictures are also a priority, because it means she can take decent pictures, even if she doesn't have her G11 with her.

4. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Motoblur is a skin UI over stock android used on Motorolla phones, they are starting to phase it out though as it isn't very popular

BAC5.2 likes this.
  5. BAC5.2

Thanks guys!

6. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

I've only played around with Inc and X. Cant tell you much about D2 as it just came out and no one i know has it.

(THIS IS ALL IN MY OWN OPINION)

The Incredible has a nice, no great and perfect size to it (usually better for females since they usually have smaller hands), but (to me) does lack in battery life a bit. Since I have two friends with an Inc and X, we usually mess around with each other's droids and campare for hours and hours and hours (once a full day) on a full charge from the morning. While the X had extraordinary battery life, the incredible 'almost' seems to have the same battery life problems as the eris(just almost, about 78%). But from what she would be using the phone for, it shouldn't be that bad, actually it should suit her needs just fine from a full charge. On the other hand... THAT THING WAS SMOOTH! Web, maps, slick home screen scrolling. Camera is awesome! And the screen is richly colored.

The X just may be too big and seems more like a guy phone (just like the droid1 seemed like a guy phone while the eris was more attractive to girls). This phone was smooth also but home screen scrolling was a bit choppy(at times) or a least not as smooth as Inc(maybe HTC Sense?). This phone can really handle the things she want to do. Camera was super great and was just a tiny tiny bit better then the inc (difference wasnt really noticeable). Web was faster than inc! The new motorola widgets on motoblur are awesome and are a big plus for the x.

Droid 2 is sorta a smaller droid x with physical keyboard and 5mp camera.. Same motoblur user interface.

Well thats all i can tell you from my experience. Hope i helped you guys in some way!

EDIT: As far as ease of use, they are both pretty easy to use, though, the inc is most likely easier to use because of HTC SenseUI.

jroc and BAC5.2 like this.