Droid GPS Dock Issues

Last Updated:

1. TivoTron

TivoTron Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am loving the Droid as my go-to car navigation system. It's really pretty sweet.

However, there are three issues that I'd like to bring up in hopes that others have had similar issues and have found solutions.

1) Calls should default to speakerphone. It's a little weird that when you make or receive a call while in the car dock that it doesn't automatically go to the speakerphone mode. Instead, you have to try to press the little "speaker" button which, while driving, often results in pressing another button and further distracting you from driving.

2) When calls end, it should return to navigation map.
    During a call, the screen times out. When the call ends, it stays black, causing you again to have to press the ON button, enter the touch password and get back to navigation. Even better, during the call, there should be an easy way to switch to navigation instead of having the call screen showing (BTW --- why doesn't that call screen switch to landscape mode when in the GPS dock?)

3) Navigation volume should be lower during calls (or at least give you the option). I've had to pause my calls while waiting for the navigation to tell me to stay on the highway.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. mswhite60

mswhite60 Well-Known Member

Good questions!

1.) There is an app called "car mode" that does just what you ask here. Just put the phone in car mode when you get in the car and it will go right to speaker for calls.

2.) Do you have the phone plugged when this happens? I do, and I have the phone set to keep the screen on while charging. Works great! EDIT: Check this thread: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/46909-can-i-prevent-screen-time-out-while-car-dock.html

3.) I turn the Nav volume all the way down by default, so this is not an issue for me. Sounds like a good request, though!

-Matt

3. visualvalhalla

visualvalhalla Well-Known Member

There are several apps in the Market that solves these problems:

1. Car dock speaker app: Automatically switches over to speaker mode in car dock when answering or placing calls car-dock-speakerphone - Project Hosting on Google Code

2. Setting Profiles: Set up different profiles based on phone usage and conditions. For example - set the screen timeout to off while making calls on car dock, [​IMG]

4. TivoTron

TivoTron Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to both of you! Great answers...

5. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I don't want the car dock to default to speakerphone... I plug my phone into my stereo via a 3.5mm audio cable.

Some suggestions above... Locale would solve most of these problems... Also, "NotCallLog" can take the phone to an app when a call ends.