Droid GPS--Please help!!!

Last Updated:

1. thebalogas

thebalogas Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone please explain how the Droid GPS works off satellites? Does it only work off 1 satellite or multiple ones like normal GPS systems? I was traveling the other day in very rainy weather and my Droid GPS worked on and off for about 2 hours. Needless to say, very frustrating. I read on another board that someone downloaded "ASTRO TASK MANAGER" and this enabled the GPS to pull from 5-6 different satellites. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

3. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

For GPS to locate you, it have to triangulate your position using multiple satellites. The more satellites it uses the better the accuracy. ASTRO would not have enabled the GPS to pull from more satellites either. If you want to see what your GPS is connecting to, download the app GPS TEST.

GPS Test - Android app on AppBrain

4. Shootr

Shootr Well-Known Member

Agreed, GPS Test is my vote - best one I've found, especially for monitoring speed, direction, time, sat strength

5. Broo2

Broo2 Member

The Droid uses true GPS and can use assisted GPS (AGPS). The later is enabled under 'Location' and by checking off 'Use wireless networks'.

AGPS assists the GPS by triangulating an estimated location based on wifi signals in your area. It can assist the GPS in re-establishing a location lock if you lose signal.

For normal GPS, you need at least 3 satellites available for triangulation; the more you get, the better the lock. I believe there are 24 satellites in orbit and they are arranged so at least 4 are always accessible at any point on the earth. However the GPS signals can be blocked by obstructions: trees, buildings, a metal roof, etc.

Did you have our Droid on the dash (or in the window mount) or was it inside the car? I find that I get much better GPS reception by throwing it up on the dash.

If it was a very heavy rain it is possible the weather was enough to block out the signal- was it a crazy thunderstorm or just a light spring rain?

6. thebalogas

thebalogas Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't on the dash...it was heavy rain. Thanks for the help!