Droid GPS

Last Updated:

1. ronjcar

ronjcar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will the GPS in the Droid be a stand alone real GPS or will it use Verizon's Navigator? If it uses Navigator will there be an add on fee above the 30.00 internet fee?

Ron

Advertisement
  2. gthrift

gthrift Guest

I think using Android requires that Verizon keep everything open. I'm sure they'll be including VZW Navigator but I'm almost positive that they can't lock the phone to use only their software.

I'm also pretty sure that Verizon has actually allowed free use of GPS on the Blackberry Tour and Storm since they launched.

3. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

Oh, this would be great. I'm waiting on a reply from my Verizon rep about this. I won't buy it if the GPS is crippled. I refuse to let them cripple it and then ask me to pay $10 a month to get the service back. I simply can't bring myself to do that.

Imagine this. You go to a car dealership to check out a new car and you notice that the radio doesn't work. They say that you have to pay the dealership $10 a month for them to re-enable the radio, which was initially working from the factory. Would you buy from them?

Hell no, you wouldn't.

4. johninbigd

Aren't there some Verizon people who visit this forum? Can someone get a definite answer on this?

5. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

6. johninbigd

I hope you're right. For all we know, the CEO of Verizon has a slightly modified definition of open. The Verizon account rep for our company was under the impression that GPS would require VZ Navigator, but then he said he wasn't sure and would check on it. He said he might not know for sure until the phone was released. I'm hoping we'll find someone else who works inside Verizon who does have a definite answer for us.

7. Jacqueline

I understand your concern as Verizon has historically locked things down including my current phone, but the company is changing. The CEO stated clearly in the press release, "you're either open or you're not." Over the last year Verizon has been releasing phones with open GPS. They even updated the firmware on my locked down phone to open GPS. I am sure VZ Navigator will still be an option you can purchase, but I have no doubt that google maps and any other gps software available on Android will also work.

8. johninbigd

Sweet! That is awesome news to me. I don't know why it's such a big deal to me, but I was extremely mad at Verizon back when I bought a Blackberry Curve expecting it to have GPS only to find out that it was crippled by Verizon. It infuriated me because I had no idea about that beforehand.

9. Jacqueline

10. johninbigd

I dumped the Curve for an iPhone. Now I'm addicted to the GPS, which is why I would have been especially irritated to lose it again. I'm glad that I won't have to do without it!

11. NOaverageJOE

NOaverageJOE New Member

So, if the GPS is 'open,' does that mean it could technically be free with another application? I don't need real-time maps. I just want to be able to download one and have it on my device. That's it. Sorry. I'm new with this stuff. Thanks!

12. DroidDoes

DroidDoes New Member

GPS will be provided by Google Maps, not VZ Navigator. Also, this is going to be considered a smart phone, therefor will require the 29.99 data package.

13. Jacqueline

Average Joe, yes it means you can use any GPS program that runs on your phone. As DroidDoes mentioned it comes with Google Maps, and it also comes with Google Turn-by-Turn directions.

14. ybnrml86

ybnrml86 New Member

15. Memitim

Memitim Member

16. johninbigd

I think the author was referring to past practices, but that sentence was very poorly written. I also thought it sounded like he meant *this* phone was crippled.

17. ybnrml86

ybnrml86 New Member

Assuming that this was a legitimate conversation this was posted as one of the comments on the (p)review

"Here’s a twit from BGR regarding the GPS comment incase some people still are concerned: @boygenius Lots of discussion on HoFo re: your Droid GPS comment. Can you clarify whether the Droid GPS is locked down? Thanks!
    @nateallen80 its not. I was taking a shot at ppl who said no gps, no wifi, no android market. Gps is 100% unlocked"

I also found this on HoFo http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1580661&page=1&pp=15
    "First off, this phone is slated to become Verizon’s first Android phone. It will be a ‘Google Experience’ device. What does that mean? That means Verizon signed a contract with Google that they cannot screw with the phone – they can’t remove stock apps and they can’t clutter the phone up with their junk proprietary software. That means we should be getting a completely functional phone – open Bluetooth, app store, all Google applications INCLUDING GOOGLE VOICE (as the word on the street says GV will be on there), unlocked and fully functional GPS…this will all be there by contract requirement – VERIZON IS NOT GOING TO DUMB DOWN THIS PHONE. IT WILL NOT BE CRIPPLED. VERIZON DOES NOT CRIPPLE SMARTPHONES AND EVEN IF THEY DID, THEY WOULDN’T BE ABLE TO BECAUSE OF GOOGLE’S CONTRACT!!"

Time will tell.

18. GixxerJoe

GixxerJoe Active Member

yes yes yes GPS will be open...VZW is not going to lock anything down on this device. Period.

BGR even updated his post saying that he was joking. The tweet that was posted is true too. Follow @boygenius and check his time line. :D

19. altierior

altierior Member

i'm looking for the ability to map where i've been - specifically, off-roading or hiking. can this GPS map my location in real-time and store the info?

20. altierior

altierior Member

i guess i should clarify my question further: my current Verizon phone has VZNav, which i like, but it is only useful as a roadmap. a true GPS can get you anywhere and back - offroad as well as on.

21. joepaz

joepaz Member

Absolutely. Check out the free app My Tracks for Android

22. altierior

altierior Member

excellent! i just bought my droid shortly after posting above. then, after searching around a bit, i found this very app.

so this app actually uses the GPS satellites and not the verizon signal? i.e., it will work even if i am in the wilderness with no verizon signal?

23. joepaz

joepaz Member

From the My Tracks FAQ:

24. orangefan

orangefan New Member

My Tracks works pretty well. You need to play with some of the settings when you're walking/hiking to get accurate distances - especially the Minimum distance between successive points - default is 16 ft - I changed to 3 ft and the distances were pretty spot on(checked for my road walks). I also changed the Recording Frequency to 2 sec. A hike I took in the woods recorded a shorter distance than it should, so I need to hike it again with the new settings.

Cardio Trainer also does good milage and time recordings. I've used them both at the same time and they are almost exactly the same milage, but must use different algorithims to get slightly different results.

25. altierior

altierior Member

i'll know firsthand soon enough. i'm heading to the mountains again next week.