• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Has To Go!

Wow! I think I struck the right nerve. :eek:

I appreciate the time it took for you guys to investigate all my prior post.
I do like the Droid as stated in a previous post.

I search all forums and tried everything suggested.
I am holding the phone correctly.
I do understand it is a work in progress.
I do not plan to go back to AT&T.

I do though want a phone that does the one thing a phone should do right out of the box.

It could be a third party app, but doubtful, because the first time I was made aware of it I did not have but one app installed and that is unloaded.

I believe what one poster said about the deep voice has some merit. I went to the Verizon store while I was talking to my wife and she said it was muffled and when I got there a female employee called me from my phone to her phone and she sounded clear as a bell. I have thought for a while this could be the issue.

I am not alone. If you go to the Motorola forum you will find plenty of people with the same issue.

:p Maybe you guys that aren't having the issue are just a bunch of girls.:p
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Upvote 0
Smart for once? Why do you the Palm made the Pre? Why do you think Motorola made the Droid? Why do you think Google made the Nexus One? They are all trying to catch up with the IPhone. Obviously, Apple has done plenty right. Hating on the IPhone is utterly ******** and makes you look like a 6 year old. The IPhone has revolutionized what a cell phone is. If it wasn't for the IPhone, we wouldn't have the Droid.

Please grow up.

Wow, you make a LOT of assumptions there. Without the iPhone we wouldn't have touch screens on phones? We wouldn't have them on smartphones? We wouldn't have smart phones?

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great device, but it was not 'revolutionary'. It's still a phone. You talk in one end and hear the other person out the other end. There's nothing revolutionary there. It did EVOLVE the format and function of the mobile phone. Before I had an iPhone, I had a couple different 'smartphones' that used either small screens or classic 'touch' screens (the ones with the membrane and stylus) and get this - you could install applications on them!

Upvote 0
More than one reply has suggested that the Droid's mic handles higher-pitched/female voices better than low/male ones. The OP was simply making a joke. :)

So, we have a sexist phone huh? I don't have a high-pitched voice, and people hear me without any problems. This makes me want to do a male vs. female voice comparison test!

I guess my main point to the OP is that if you're not happy with the phone's voice quality, then simply opt for another phone. That's what I would do. After all, the Droid is a "phone" first ..cough..for some of us. :rolleyes:

OP, no hard feelings and Happy New Year.. lol.

Upvote 0
Wow, you make a LOT of assumptions there. Without the iPhone we wouldn't have touch screens on phones? We wouldn't have them on smartphones? We wouldn't have smart phones?

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great device, but it was not 'revolutionary'. It's still a phone. You talk in one end and hear the other person out the other end. There's nothing revolutionary there. It did EVOLVE the format and function of the mobile phone. Before I had an iPhone, I had a couple different 'smartphones' that used either small screens or classic 'touch' screens (the ones with the membrane and stylus) and get this - you could install applications on them!
tell him! don't forget the Fart apps too!

Upvote 0
Come on, you guys (male and female), with all the threads on this site and others (try googling "Droid muffled") you can't seriously still be trying to blame it on the users!? There are at least eight threads on the Motorola site alone, with the "phone sound quality not so great" being one of the hottest and longest threads on the site (31 pages last I checked) with lots of good advice that helps but does not fix the problem. It's not the cover, it's not the location, it's not the gender... it's the phone. Apparently some of the phones thankfully don't have the problem, but many, many of us have gone through 2, 3 and 4 phones (bless Verizon, they often claim ignorance of the problem, but they do follow through on their CS promises).

Upvote 0
I took my second one back to Verizon yesterday. I asked them what they could do for me? They couldn't do anything that wouldn't cost me a arm & leg. I expected that, but what really miffed me is the Manager telling me he had never heard of anyone having issues with the voice quality and turned around and asked the other employees and they all replied "No everyone has said how great they sound on them." Then turns away with a smirk on his face like I was a complete idiot.

At 5:00 pm. I am meeting a guy that wants to buy it and he can have the problems. I will get a different phone and wait till the Nexus comes out to see if they are better.

Again, I loved the phone, but it needs to be a phone first, then a hand-held computer. :mad:

DroidRoid Out

Upvote 0
wow, thats pretty dissapointing to hear.. im gettin worried, i just got mine today and even brought up to the rep working there about the two issues ive heard about the most was the keyboard loosen and the voice quality and he said he hadnt heard about nothin but i asked if that happens your gonna swap it, and so hopefully tomarrow my brother won't ask me if i just shot novakane in my mouth or my mom asking me what ive got in my mouth when im about to tell them i got a new phone and ask if it sounds okay.

motorola's site has 31 pages on this and it doesnt come to any happy ending yet.

Upvote 0
wow, thats pretty dissapointing to hear.. im gettin worried, i just got mine today and even brought up to the rep working there about the two issues ive heard about the most was the keyboard loosen and the voice quality and he said he hadnt heard about nothin but i asked if that happens your gonna swap it, and so hopefully tomarrow my brother won't ask me if i just shot novakane in my mouth or my mom asking me what ive got in my mouth when im about to tell them i got a new phone and ask if it sounds okay.

motorola's site has 31 pages on this and it doesnt come to any happy ending yet.

I) So...are you personally having problems or not? If so, describe them and maybe we can help. :) If not, stop worrying about other peoples' forum posts so much.
II) Punctuation is your friend. Really.
III) There are issues for this phone. Likewise, every single other phone in existence. Figure out your personal dealbreakers and ask whether this phone has them. If so, I'm guessing no one will wish you anything but the best. If not, we'll try our best to address your issues.

In any case...good luck!

Upvote 0
I) So...are you personally having problems or not? If so, describe them and maybe we can help. :) If not, stop worrying about other peoples' forum posts so much.
II) Punctuation is your friend. Really.
III) There are issues for this phone. Likewise, every single other phone in existence. Figure out your personal dealbreakers and ask whether this phone has them. If so, I'm guessing no one will wish you anything but the best. If not, we'll try our best to address your issues.

In any case...good luck!

When I referred to my brother and the novakane that's what he said when I answered and mom asked me what was in my mouth. . I just hope they can fix this because I love it otherwise. I haven't called myself yet so I can't get more descriptive k

Upvote 0
When I referred to my brother amd the novakane that's what he said when I answered and mom asked me what was in my mouth. . I just hope they can fix this because I love it otherwise. I haven't called myself yet so I can't get more descriptive k

Gotcha. There seems to be some people here (paging thelion?) who have had this sort of issue, for what it's worth. There's a few potential fixes through vzw programming (I'll look them up tomo...too crazy tired atm) but if reception/call quality is a persistent problem, I'd recommend calling #611 and telling them such and possibly arranging an exchange.

Upvote 0
When I referred to my brother and the novakane that's what he said when I answered and mom asked me what was in my mouth. . I just hope they can fix this because I love it otherwise. I haven't called myself yet so I can't get more descriptive k

Have you tried the possible solutions listed in this thread?

Upvote 0
no i was told it was a defective microphone probably? so i just want to swap it out and see if anything good happens...

but then this happens, i wake up this morning and someone stopped by so i had them use the phone and i use theirs, and honestly, we both agreed after swapping phones back and forth that there is no MAJOR difference. i mean, its not 100% crystal clear but i wasnt expecting that, i just didn't want to sound like i had a box of gum in my mouth. so then i called my brother again and asked him if it sounded any different than yesterday and he said its a lot better.

i dont know what happened overnight or how smart this phone is, but could it have adjusted itself to my talking volume? i doubt that. the only other thing i can think of is that maybe i powered down and it got better since it was brand new OR when i was on the phone last night it was about -1 degrees here in chicago and although i spoke the same way i always do, maybe the cold was having an effect on the speech quality of the phone? (no i wasnt standing outside but i did make a call when i got into my car and the phone was cold)

either way, im going to call verizon and see if they suggest me doing a swap just to be sure because they told me if i run into any problem like this to swap it. luckily i got it at a local store and can easily do this.

other than the voice problem, ive been loving this phone and can't wait to customize it once i know if im going to swap it one time or not.

Upvote 0
You may be able to edit the call audio quality using the ##program method listed here.
Wow man thanks for that page, it has so much good info on it, i will update on wheter i have better sound quality after i changed that setting. I will say i read some things about the dual mics on this phone and by covering up the mic with say my body glove case, i actually get better sound quality. Im refering to the mic which is behind and near the headphone jack, not to one you listen from. when i talk with my case off i have bad sound qualtiy, with it on its not to bad at all.I honestly think the biggest problem with the sound quality on this phone is the dual mic technology has not been perfected yet.

Upvote 0
no i was told it was a defective microphone probably? so i just want to swap it out and see if anything good happens...

but then this happens, i wake up this morning and someone stopped by so i had them use the phone and i use theirs, and honestly, we both agreed after swapping phones back and forth that there is no MAJOR difference. i mean, its not 100% crystal clear but i wasnt expecting that, i just didn't want to sound like i had a box of gum in my mouth. so then i called my brother again and asked him if it sounded any different than yesterday and he said its a lot better.

i dont know what happened overnight or how smart this phone is, but could it have adjusted itself to my talking volume? i doubt that. the only other thing i can think of is that maybe i powered down and it got better since it was brand new OR when i was on the phone last night it was about -1 degrees here in chicago and although i spoke the same way i always do, maybe the cold was having an effect on the speech quality of the phone? (no i wasnt standing outside but i did make a call when i got into my car and the phone was cold)

either way, im going to call verizon and see if they suggest me doing a swap just to be sure because they told me if i run into any problem like this to swap it. luckily i got it at a local store and can easily do this.

other than the voice problem, ive been loving this phone and can't wait to customize it once i know if im going to swap it one time or not.

I must be missing something. It sounded like you said it was fixed, but then you talk about getting it swapped? Did I miss something?

Upvote 0
Correct.
The HTC Touch (P3450) was already in development back in 2006 and released on June 5 2007. The iPhone was announced on Jan 9 2007 and officially released on June 29 2007. So basically the HTC Touch came to market before the iPhone.
Prior to this, Touch screen phones were already out such as the LG PRADA (Feb 2007), Granted The iPhone was far superior in its use and function. but the iPhone did not start that market, what it did do was push the envelope in style and function which others are just starting to get to years later.

TS

Upvote 0
Correct.
The HTC Touch (P3450) was already in development back in 2006 and released on June 5 2007. The iPhone was announced on Jan 9 2007 and officially released on June 29 2007. So basically the HTC Touch came to market before the iPhone.
Prior to this, Touch screen phones were already out such as the LG PRADA (Feb 2007), Granted The iPhone was far superior in its use and function. but the iPhone did not start that market, what it did do was push the envelope in style and function which others are just starting to get to years later.

TS

Show me where I stated that the IPhone started the market?

You agree with him, yet you say almost exactly what I said(which he disagreed with). The IPhone changed the way people thought about consumer cell phones, and every other manufacturer is playing catchup.

Upvote 0
From a post on another forum:

"You may want to check that 'voice privacy' located in call settings is turned off. This feature encrypts your voice and gives it a digital/weird sounding quality. I have no clue why they include this feature and have it on as the default. Let us know if this is the case and if when it is turned off the voice quality for your lisiteners improves"

Some who tried this did see an improvement in voice quality, whereas as others did not.
I just did this. It made a HUGE impact on voice quality on my end, and also on the recipients end (though they stated I was pretty good before the change also). I no longer feel as though I'm listening to a robotic voice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones