Droid in Ireland?

Last Updated:

1. MK19

MK19 Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to Galway, Ireland next week and was curious if my Droid will work over there or not. I've never had a cell phone overseas, much less a smart phone like the Droid, so any input is greatly appreciated.

TIA

damon

Advertisement
  2. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

No, you won't be able to make calls or anything with the phone while over there. It could function as a pda of sorts but as a phone you it wont' work. Simple reason being the droid is cdma vs the UK and Europe all using GSM for their phone networks.

3. MK19

MK19 Member This Topic's Starter

Cool, thanks for the heads up

4. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

im not sure about Ireland, but some countries still have CDMA as well as GSM and your phone may work, but if it does and you use it, it would be very very expensive.
    to be safe i would turn it off.

see: CDG : Worldwide : CDMA Worldwide

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Anyone else think it's funny that Verizon's commercials are pretty much all the same old "HEY GUYS WE HAVE THE BEST RECEPTION EVER" and meanwhile, if you go outside of the US, you're much more likely to get service with AT&T or even T-Mobile!

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You won't get service with AT&T or T-Mobile when your overseas. You will get service with whatever GSM carrier is in the country your in. T-Mobile is actually based in Germany IIRC but the point is no US carrier works overseas, it's the phone that may or not work on overseas carriers. Also if you stick with your stock SIM in a GSM phone then expect a bill in the hundreds IF NOT thousands of dollars so make sure you get a prepaid SIM from a local carrier when you arrive.

7. ralphjb

ralphjb Active Member

Is it possible by bluetooth to set the Droid as the client and then tether to a GSM phone? I used to do this with Windows PDA devices all the time.