• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Includes FM Receiver and Transmitter

Hey, brand new here. Had an Eris for 29 days and then switched to the Droid. Looking forward to all these forums have to offer! My 2 cents on this issue: I have used my Jabra SP700 for my blackberry Tour, the Eris, my son's Krave and now the Droid. It transmits very good quality sound to the FM radio in my Passat and it is extremely easy to hook up and use. It's also very portable for traveling and using in a rental car. It plays loudly so you can cover up any road noise and rock out if you want. Hope this helps someone! (JABRA SP700 - speaker phone)

Upvote 0
Hi Guys. Just a couple of things:

- For those radio lovers out there, and people looking to listen to local news/traffic/sports/etc on their Droid, install "iheartradio". It streams EVERY Clearchannel station (900+) over 3G/wifi, and you can get stations from other areas. I'm not saying this is as good as having real radio, but it's quite a decent alternative. Unfortunately, they probably block out NFL games, although I haven't tried it yet.

- FM transmitter would be a nice backup/ad-hoc solution for audio streaming, but it aint gonna happen. Even if the chip supports it, I'm sure it's not connected to any kind of antenna. So even if some genius dev wrote their own code for rooted Droids, it wouldn't receive anything. I remember reading somewhere that Motorola was talking about how the metal casing blocked signals, and so the wifi/3G antennae were put in the bottom of the device where it's not shielded. No way the chip would get any kind of signal on its own.

- Why would they not include this functionality? Basically, because it's not particularly important, yet would require a significant code investment on what is currently essentially an unmodified Google software stack. It's not uncommon to build a device based on one of these all-in-one chipsets, and not use all the functionality. Sometimes it can be coded in later, but in this case, the lack of antenna will prevent that. The innards of the Droid are a _VERY_ tight squeeze, and I'm sure trying to fit an FM antenna in there was not high on the priority list.

Upvote 0
- FM transmitter would be a nice backup/ad-hoc solution for audio streaming, but it aint gonna happen. Even if the chip supports it, I'm sure it's not connected to any kind of antenna. So even if some genius dev wrote their own code for rooted Droids, it wouldn't receive anything. I remember reading somewhere that Motorola was talking about how the metal casing blocked signals, and so the wifi/3G antennae were put in the bottom of the device where it's not shielded. No way the chip would get any kind of signal on its own.

I just want to clear up something for you, as it seems like you are crossing your signals here.

FM Transmitter: Transmits

FM Receiver: Receives

an FM Transmitter doesn't need to receive anything, only broadcast.

Since the FM chip is currently being used to transmit and receive a signal (I believe bluetooth?), than yes... it has an antenna of some sort. Yes, it would be able to transmit to your car, provided the hardware/software support allowed it to transmit over FM.

Since the FM chip was intended for something which already broadcasts and already receives signal, then the metal case wouldn't matter. And yes, if a genius dev wrote an app for existing hardware, provided it would support the desired use, it would work.

internet radio only solves a very small part of what the people in this thread would love to see working. For me, personally, the sole purpose would be to broadcast internet audio such as pandora over FM to a factory radio when I am in another car. (Rental car, for example.)

Upvote 0
Ok, so everyone seems to be hung up on listening to music or whatever on their car or other radio.
What about all the other things in our life that use FM transmissions.
If this Moto Droid is the "Does" phone, then why not start using it for some real useful things?
Like replacing your car alarm key fob. Car alarms send their signals using FM. Alot of the new cars are coming out of the factory with keyless entry and use a keyfob instead. It would be great if you only needed your phone and a code to open and start your new car.
Or replacing your home security keypad. Your house alarm could recongnize you when you walked up to the front door.
Or your garage door opener could be replaced.
The gate at the apartment complex could also be opened with your phone.
There are lots of other things that could be intergrated into a program that can send FM signals.

Obviously there would be limits and the FM transmitter would have to have a wider Bandwidth. A lot of other companys would have to allow integration into their systems and the app that would run it would have to be propritary.

"Lets open 'er up and see what she'll do"

Upvote 0
Like replacing your car alarm key fob. Car alarms send their signals using FM. Alot of the new cars are coming out of the factory with keyless entry and use a keyfob instead. It would be great if you only needed your phone and a code to open and start your new car.

This will never happen because car alarms don't simply broadcast a signal... otherwise an alarm would be useless because anyone could get it. (it is easy enough as it is.)

Or replacing your home security keypad. Your house alarm could recongnize you when you walked up to the front door.

You can already do this via WiFi, provided you feel like spending a couple hundred dollars to outfit your house. Turning lights on, running/viewing video cameras, unlocking your front door, etc.

Upvote 0
Well I guess we need to add some "N'T" to these phones

as in DoesN'T

I know that the alarms keyfob's send code to activate only the alarm for the receiving alarm system. That would have to be the propriatary part. Just because you don't have an expensive alarm system doesn't mean others don't. I find it very useful to sell expensive product to people who will pay large amounts for simple answers.

Upvote 0
I've used an FM transmitter to hear announcements, calls and play MP3 music from my Garmin nuvi, but the problem has always been the need for free band hopping when you drive. In larger cities, there are very few free FM bands to tune your FM, and they quickly change (pop up or fade) if you drive even for 15 minutes. I solved the problem by connecting 3.5 mm jack cable to a $20 casette adapter, but newer cars don't have those.

Upvote 0
meandmydroid that would work, but when I am in the gym, I want to listen to the FM transmission from the TVs not an actual radio station. I know I need to do something soon as my screen is dying on my Storm.
This thread caught my eye because my gym also broadcasts their TV's sound over an otherwise unused local FM signal. Yes, I have a cheapo $6 FM radio that I only use at the gym to hear the TV's, but for me, I want ONE device to keep track of, and charge.

I also live in an area that gets some pretty wicked storms, so tuning to a local FM band would be very informative during a tornado warning :D

I'll be watching this topic for developments....

Upvote 0
Ok, so everyone seems to be hung up on listening to music or whatever on their car or other radio.
What about all the other things in our life that use FM transmissions.
If this Moto Droid is the "Does" phone, then why not start using it for some real useful things?
There are lots of other things that could be intergrated into a program that can send FM signals.

Obviously there would be limits and the FM transmitter would have to have a wider Bandwidth. A lot of other companys would have to allow integration into their systems and the app that would run it would have to be propritary.

"Lets open 'er up and see what she'll do"

Or simple IR! Let me replace my stupid remotes please!

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, Tazmanian Droid and I have enabled the FM chip within the Droid (it's a one line change in the kernel) and he's working on getting an FM test app that TI published to compile and run on the Droid. The test app is a command line binary (meaning you need a terminal emulator), but once that is running, others can make a GUI apk to do the same.

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, Tazmanian Droid and I have enabled the FM chip within the Droid (it's a one line change in the kernel) and he's working on getting an FM test app that TI published to compile and run on the Droid. The test app is a command line binary (meaning you need a terminal emulator), but once that is running, others can make a GUI apk to do the same.

If you're being serious about this, then keep us posted. Very interested in this.

Upvote 0
Could it really have a FM transmit/receiver? My Nokia 3250 did but it said it only worked with UK stations or something. I couldn't ever get it to work.

I don't care about the transmitter but receiver would be really nice. I don't need it for my car, I have a tape deck adapter (Yes its old! 1996 Audi, it has a car phone too!!). But it would be awesome when I go to the gym, right now I use my phone to listen to music at the gym and it would be great to be able to tune into the TVs at the cardio area

Upvote 0
Well I guess we need to add some "N'T" to these phones

as in DoesN'T

I know that the alarms keyfob's send code to activate only the alarm for the receiving alarm system. That would have to be the propriatary part. Just because you don't have an expensive alarm system doesn't mean others don't. I find it very useful to sell expensive product to people who will pay large amounts for simple answers.

Radio FM and keyfob FM aren't even close in the same spectrum. Here in the US they transmit at 315Mhz, and in Europe they transmit at 433.92Mhz. The highest FM radio frequency you can transmit at is 107.9Mhz, not sure about Europe. I'm 100% positive that the radio in the Droid can't transmit at that high of a frequency with it's FM transmitter.

Upvote 0
Its a matter of consolidation and simplicity, the same reason why bluetooth, gps, and wifi are all utilized on the chip rather than plug in accessories (I used an external gps receiver with my previous phone). Granted, the demand for these features is presumably much higher than fm reception and transmission, but the droids potential fm radio capabilities are personally intriguing. If the potential is there, why not exploit it?

I'm not so much interested in fm transmission, though on occasion it would certainly come in handy. I would personally like to be able to receive fm signals, as fm broadcasts are heavily utilized at my school's library and gym (where I spend most of my waking life).
Just to add to meekrab's point, I think there was a thread on this forum where a couple of enterprising Droid users built an app that specifically turned on the camera's LED as a flashlight/strobe. Now a so-so cell phone camera is a VERY powerful flashlight thanks to LED Flashlight and MotoTorch LED. To a professional photographer or a cell phone designer, these may seem silly or counterproductive.

Sure, we could have bought ourselves a small LED flashlight (I've got several myself, some were bike headlamps), but if the capability is there, why not? It's the exact same reason why Android is this open, and why there are tons of open source software out there.

Upvote 0

Nice work, Speeddymon.

Just so people know--> Kernel change means you need to root your Droid to use this.

Can't wait to see (hear) the results!

--Bill

Upvote 0
To be honest I'm glad my Jeep has a tape player, I love the connection, I use it for my Droid and my Sirius sattelite radio, where I live in NJ there are no channels for the FM transmitter,they're either broadcasting or have to much static, and it keeps me from having to pull the radio to hook-up, I also like the fact my phone calls come thru car speakers automatically, it just cuts the music, then turns it back on when call ends.

Upvote 0
Radio FM and keyfob FM aren't even close in the same spectrum. Here in the US they transmit at 315Mhz, and in Europe they transmit at 433.92Mhz. The highest FM radio frequency you can transmit at is 107.9Mhz, not sure about Europe. I'm 100% positive that the radio in the Droid can't transmit at that high of a frequency with it's FM transmitter.

If the FM transmitter is part of the BT... doesn't BT operate at 2.4ghz?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones