• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Includes FM Receiver and Transmitter

Upvote 0
personally this would be perfect for me, my current car is a 79 camaro, stock radio "am/fm" thats it nothing more. no aux inputs or anything. i have a cd player that i will be installing into it but probably not for a while. my other car though has a dual touch screen dvd player lol but its my baby "supra" and it gets all the attention and money. so for the camaro transmission of sounds via radio would be perfect.

Upvote 0
I drive an 85 dodge ram truck with the stock radio, and bought an fm transmitter that plugs to the lighter and it works okay. It works better in the truck I drive for work, but that's just because that truck has more than one speaker. It wouldbe amazing to do it through the phone, but then I'm gonna have to get a car charger. Decent fm transmitters are gonna eat battery

Upvote 0
The MOTOROKR is a good alternative (though pricey) for folks to use - it allows music to pass to the T505 from the DROID via BT, then transmits the signal to your radio via FM, using a scan for open freq method and announcing the freq it has selected for 2 seconds (twice) allowing you to set the same freq on your radio.

I have a 99 Altima in which I am going to do some extensive testing in (during the day on weekdays, for example, I cannot find a single channel above the 87.7 / 87.9 freqs that does not pick up some sort of station, even weak ones) and the Satechi FM transmitter with multiple capabilities gets a bit strained...plus it uses a wire to connect to the DROID, and the headphone jack is less than spectacular, from reports made in these forums.

However, if the DROID is finally hacked to be able to do the same thing as the Cliq, then if it has *transmitting* capabilities I will be just as happy as Fade.

Upvote 0
lol I'd be driving, so the visualizations would not be a top priority for me - Nav would, though.

That reminds me - wonder if Nav gets transmitted as well? I have my new MOTOROKR T505 to test and play with today and / or tomorrow (prolly tomorrow as it is storming here today) and I'll see if it transmits just the music (which is my guess) or all sounds through to the radio.

If the devs can get this working in the DROID without the need of the T505 then that'll be awesome.

Upvote 0
Ok, so everyone seems to be hung up on listening to music or whatever on their car or other radio.
What about all the other things in our life that use FM transmissions.
If this Moto Droid is the "Does" phone, then why not start using it for some real useful things?
Like replacing your car alarm key fob. Car alarms send their signals using FM. Alot of the new cars are coming out of the factory with keyless entry and use a keyfob instead. It would be great if you only needed your phone and a code to open and start your new car.

difference is, your phone runs out of battery quite often, unlike your car key

Upvote 0
In checking out the new Droid X specs I found a post with a link to this TI extends a warm welcome to Motorola?s Droid X - Mobile Momentum - Blogs - TI E2E Community

Basically it states that the fm, bluetooth, wireless network chip in the new Droid X is exactly the same as the one used in the original Droid. Anyone think that now, since the Droid X has wireless N and a working FM radio someone out there may be able to get it working in the Droid fairly easy as well?

Upvote 0
In checking out the new Droid X specs I found a post with a link to this TI extends a warm welcome to Motorola?s Droid X - Mobile Momentum - Blogs - TI E2E Community

Basically it states that the fm, bluetooth, wireless network chip in the new Droid X is exactly the same as the one used in the original Droid. Anyone think that now, since the Droid X has wireless N and a working FM radio someone out there may be able to get it working in the Droid fairly easy as well?

It's not exactly the same. Droid uses OMAP3430, Droid X uses OMAP3630. The biggest difference seems to be the die size. You could be right though, that the radio chip is probably the same, I know the GPU is identical. It's possible that we might see people able to get these things working on the Droid because I think the problem with FM radio right now is that Motorola never bothered to program drivers for it.

Upvote 0
It's not exactly the same. Droid uses OMAP3430, Droid X uses OMAP3630. The biggest difference seems to be the die size. You could be right though, that the radio chip is probably the same, I know the GPU is identical. It's possible that we might see people able to get these things working on the Droid because I think the problem with FM radio right now is that Motorola never bothered to program drivers for it.

From the link:

"WiLink™ 6.0 solution for robust connectivity: Optimized to work with TI’s OMAP 3 processors, the WiLink 6.0 solution provides the strong connectivity support that brings Droid X experiences to life. By integrating mobile WLAN, Bluetooth

Upvote 0
Greetings everyone! New guy here, my first post as I'm a new recent owner to a Droid. Here's my question for any who can give me an assist. I have a basic car stereo without the now-common jack plug for people to take their ipods and MP3 music on the go. So I don't have that plug, but I want to be able to use my Droid as a de facto music player through my car stereo. A buddy of mine told me there's, I guess, an RF-type adapter I could buy? But as I've been checking online trying to do my own research, it sounds like there's a way to tune your car's radio station to some frequency that, when having your Droid plugged into a cigarette power port in your vehicle, might somehow "synch" your phone in a way that'll allow you to play your music through your stereo based on that radio station frequency? I apologize for sounding confusing (because I am) but if anyone can help clarify for me what I need to make that happen, I'd be much appreciative!

Upvote 0
Greetings everyone! New guy here, my first post as I'm a new recent owner to a Droid. Here's my question for any who can give me an assist. I have a basic car stereo without the now-common jack plug for people to take their ipods and MP3 music on the go. So I don't have that plug, but I want to be able to use my Droid as a de facto music player through my car stereo. A buddy of mine told me there's, I guess, an RF-type adapter I could buy? But as I've been checking online trying to do my own research, it sounds like there's a way to tune your car's radio station to some frequency that, when having your Droid plugged into a cigarette power port in your vehicle, might somehow "synch" your phone in a way that'll allow you to play your music through your stereo based on that radio station frequency? I apologize for sounding confusing (because I am) but if anyone can help clarify for me what I need to make that happen, I'd be much appreciative!
You plug the fm transmitter into the jack on top of the Droid, and set it to transmit at an unused fm frequency in your area. Then tune the car radio to that frequency. If all is well, the music from the Droid will play through the car radio. HOWEVER, this system is not the best for good sound. I have an older car radio with an attached cassette tape player, and use a cassette adapter to actually play the Droid through the tape player. Almost as good as a direct wire connection to the car stereo.

Reactions: XeperRising74
Upvote 0

You might want to check out the MOTO T505 (also mentioned earlier in this thread). Your Droid connects via Bluetooth and it broadcasts FM to car radio. All audio goes through (calls, music, navigation, etc...). It can also be used as a speaker phone without. FM . Been using it since march and no problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones