• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Incredible album art issue

Ok...I've been fighting this problem as well. I have about 4GB of music on my 8GB SD card for my HTC Incredible. All of this music is in MP3 format and has been tagged with Media Monkey so all of the tags are correct and all of the album art is embedded in the files. When swapping SD card's or when I get an application update for ASTRO (my fille manager application), the HTC Sense music player will lose track of the album cover art for all my tracks, or sometimes just some of the tracks. I've tried everything listed above....deleting Media Storage cache, renaming the folders, etc. Even wiping the SD card, reformatting and recopying my tunes over.

I think I have the fix.

1. Make sure the HTC music player process is "killed"
2. Unmount the SD card.
3. Clear the Media Storage Data as listed above
4. Reboot the phone
5. Open the HTC music player
6. Change the view to "Album"

The album cover art should properly begin to show up on each album listing.....give it a minute or so depending on how much music you have on the card, but they should all populate.

If you just have the view set to "track" or "artist", the art won't populate until you go to "Album" view.

If anyone can reproduce this, it would be helpful. I finally have all my art properly showing so I don't want to dick around with it anymore.

Upvote 0
I've detailed this problem before but was accused of being a whiner. "this is a phone not an mp3 player, go back to your iphone,blah,blah."
It is interesting to see others have the same problem.

This is what I know:

The media database gets corrupted. I looked at the catlogs thru a debugger and can see where the music player trips or fails to find the correct album art. If you plug your phone into the SDK and launch ANY music app (Doubletwist, MixZing, stock HTC,whatever) you will see how it works in realtime in the debugger window.

Renaming your folder Music to MP3 is only a temporary solution. Best bet is to reformat your card everytime you synch your music over or make a habit of making "UNIQUE" folder names so the media players re-scans and re-analyzes the music files. It will re-scan and pick up the album art. Everytime it re-scans, it stores the file information into a SQL3lite database. This is where it gets the album art in the player.
It simply re-reads from the database. I assume they do this for performance and speed reason. It will be too slow to always read the ID3 tags. It doesn't read it from the file after it gets scan. So if you continue to add new music to your existing Music folder, it will get corrupted.

I've made a habit of naming my music folders by date like this:

MUSIC_07232010
Then on the next day I re-synch, I reformat and make a new folder
MUSIC_07242010

I basically force the phone to re-scan my music and store the new info into the media database.

I have to say.. This is one thing Apple does 100% right. I've never ever had this sot of ridiculous mismanagement music problems.

All my music is purchased 100% from Amazon music store, standard mp3s with correct tags, and all the album art are embedded. I don't need an Android app to re-download album art. What I need is HTC to fix this problem.

Upvote 0
This album art problem almost made me completely insane. I had every problem listed above, and I tried every remedy listed on this forum and others (and them some). What made it worse was that when trying each of the "fixes" some album art would show up and others wouldn't.

I tried:

NOTHING WORKED!! :mad:

THEN I noticed something...
I was synching to my SD card to a directory called "Music". But the music folder in the on-board memory was titled "MP3". I couldn't think of a reason it mattered, but, in desperation...

I renamed the "Music" folder on my SD card to "MP3".

Viola! All the art magically appeared! :D

Now maybe I'm a moron, but I've not seen this "fix" posted anywhere, and I cannot explain why it would make a difference. But, so far so good, so I'm stickin' with it.

Now I synch to my SD card to the "MP3" folder using MediaMonkey (as a USB drive) and I don't seem to be having this problem any more.

Hope it works for you.
I did this and it worked perfectly. Thanks! :]

Upvote 0
I don't know if people are still having issues with the cover art, but I found that it also has to do with the album name within the metadata. I had a few remixes that I had all with the same album name, and they wouldn't retain their individual cover art. Once I named them with individual album names, they are now showing up with the correct album art. I still did the force stop on both music and media under settings\applications\running apps, and cleared the data for both, just to have it re-sync itself. Hope this helps?

Upvote 0
I'm losing my f!#king mind. I've been sitting here for hours. How in god's name do you fix this bs. I've renamed folders, encrypted in encrypters, screwed with every angle. Damnit I could have drawn every piece of artwork by now. And what baffles me, is that some of the artwork that does show up, isn't even the artwork that I added to them on itunes. I had to manually copy and paste a lot of images from google onto itunes, then had to re-do them because they were blurry. Somehow, the phone still has the old images... which should be non-existent. Why is this so hard. Why has android not addressed this issue yet. I'm preparing to lodge a pencil through my eye.

Help me... Please...

Upvote 0
Coincidentally Aidsdroid I was just about to give up on the whole idea of ever getting cover art to show up on a Christmas present tablet to which I had transferred all the lucky recipient's mp3s. I used albumart.org to find the art and initially just expected it to work with each picture file named 'cover.jpg' in the folder with the mp3s. Like others, I had very limited success (after I'd renamed the files to AlbumArt.jpg). I also tried various programs to tag or embed the pictures to the mp3s - still without any improvement.

It's pretty obvious that just changing the folder name from 'Music' to 'mp3', as suggested above, won't do anything. :) But I tried it just in case and it works!!

So, really, try it if you haven't.

A million thank yous to godzooky75. I would never have thought to try that.

Upvote 0
I think MrSpeedMaster said it all. I renamed, as others suggested, and it did "work" (not entirely...I get duplicate album entries for almost every album). But then I renamed it back to Music, and it is still "working". So I believe MrSpeedMaster (and others) are right about the data being corrupted. Renaming just "accidentally" cleans things up....temporarily, I would imagine, as MrSpeedMaster says. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones