Droid Incredible Boot Animation helpSupport

Last Updated:

1. masully1984

masully1984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to change the boot animation on my droid incredible I saw these 2 threads on here. I downloaded all the zip files and I've been trying to change the boot animation with terminal emulator. I'd like to change to the boot animation with the droid peeing on the apple logo. I'm have no knowledge of programming and the more I read these the more confused I become. Has anyone been able to change the boot animation using terminal emulator? Ever time I try to change it the apps keeps telling me "permission denied." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/70040-incredible-boot-animation-3.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/128602-custom-boots-we-all-wanted-lol.html

Advertisement
  2. BetaMan

BetaMan Well-Known Member

Have you rooted your phone?

3. UHF3

UHF3 Well-Known Member

If you're not rooted (I wouldn't doubt that you can use this if you are rooted as well) and you are using a Windows OS computer just use this method mentioned in this thread. It's the simplest way of loading a boot animation.

masully1984 likes this.
  4. masully1984

Betaman, No I didn't root my phone. I don't trust myself enough to do it. Maybe in time I will.

UHF3, I'll give that a try later tonight. Seems pretty simple. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.

5. masully1984

I tried tonight and had no luck, I've been have issues getting Sync installed and working. I can't get the icon to turn green at all. I'll let you know if I get it working.

6. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

you dont want to have sync installed there is no need

7. masully1984

Yojoe600, really? Did you use this method on your incredible? Or did you use a different method since your rooted?

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

The only reason it says to install Sync is that the download includes a generic driver for USB recognition. No need to actually run the Sync program. It causes more problems than it helps for many people.

And you can pretty much skip #2 in those instructions also. Do this:

Download the linked file and save to desktop, right click the ZIP and "extract all". It will auto create the new folder of the same name. In the new, unzipped folder drop the boot animation of your choice (fully zipped still) into the PutYourBootHere folder. Then...

Connect your phone to the computer's USB slot. Need to have connection type on phone set to disk drive and also enable USB debugging. Once that is done, on the PC double click the RunMe batch file in the PutYourBootHere folder. That will auto open a modified DOS window and you'll have to answer a few yes/no questions. Can't remember the exact wording b/c I did this a long time ago but the questions are very intuitive and you should have no problems at that point.

masully1984 likes this.
  9. masully1984

iowa, thanks man. I enabled the debugging and it worked fine.

10. masully1984

I manually updated my phone today to 2.2, the OTA not RUU. It wiped out my old boot animation, will this same method work on 2.2? Thanks

11. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

This method will no longer work with a stock 2.2. The location and file names for the bootanimation has changed. The new location is /system/customize/resource and the filenames are VZW_bootanimation.zip and VZW_Droid.mp3. Unfortunately, the location is not writeable unless you have root.

jimmiet and masully1984 like this.
  12. NMMI89

NMMI89 Well-Known Member

Damn!!! I loved my droid x boot animation and I don't want to root so I won't be able to get it back. :mad:

13. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

My phone is rooted, I installed the leaked 2.2 OTA a few weeks ago [a few days before it was officially released]. So how do I get that location to be writable. I just checked via ASTRO and it wouldn't let me rename to VZW_bootanimation.bak due to lack of permissions.

14. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You can bypass the lack of permission by using Root Explorer instead or move and replace with your own animation/sound using SDK.

15. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

Thanks. There's nothing free in place of Root Explorer?

16. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

Not that I know of. I usually just use adb to make changes in the system area.

17. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

After purchacing Root Explorer, I learned there is a free one... EStrong's File/Root Explorer. but I haven't used it yet.

18. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

So far, every time I paste my new .zip into /system/customize/resource, it tells me "Paste Failure. There was not enough free disk space to complete the paste operation".

I've even tried making some of the files smaller. Any ideas?

19. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member

In Root Explorer, you need to mount at R/W. Default is set to RO (Read Only)

Kushie likes this.