Droid Incredible browser not scaling images!Support

Last Updated:

1. plnelson

plnelson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm playing with a Droid Incredible my wife got from her company because I'm thinking of buying one.

I do photography and I have a website. The images aren't huge - maybe 600 x 800 pixels - but that's bigger than the screen resolution of the Incredible so I can't view them on the built-in browser without panning around! A normal PC browser is smart enough to shrink the image to fit the browser window. Also, my wife's iPhone handles this with no problem. - How do I get the browser on the Droid Incredible to do that?

My website is http://www.pnart.com and a good example of the problem is in some recent Alaska vacation photos: Alaska

(warning - many parts of my website aren't quite as family-friendly as the above example)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

you have tried just two finger pinching?

3. cortecds

I use dolphin browser and it seems to work fine with the site you gave.

4. plnelson

5. plnelson

It's hard to imagine any browser that wouldn't work fine for this. But I'm asking how to get the Droid Incredible to do it with its native browser.

If this is a limitation of the native browser in the Droid Incredible, it's a pretty serious flaw! It's hard to imagine that anyone would release a browser in 2010 that could only display images up to the screen resolution of the display, so surely there must be a setting or something.

What do the other Droid phones (Droid 2, Droid X, etc) do?

6. cortecds

Yah, it is a flaw. I tested it on the standard browser. I believe the reason for the problem is that it is showing a picture in a pop-up that is not full size.

7. plnelson

What do you mean "not full size"?

Are you saying there there is no work-around for this? That this is a bug baked-into Android? Or is it just this phone (the Incredible)?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "pop-up"? The images are shown by javascript opening up a separate window. I don't think they are true "pop-ups" because the pop-up blockers on Firefox and IE both work fine on normal popups (e.g., commercial ones) but they don't block these windows.

This is a very standard technique for showing images on photographers' web pages. So this seems like a serious limitation for Android!

8. cortecds

It is a pop-up that comes from a click that is why it is not blocked by pop-up blockers.
    It is a flaw in the default browser and may be fixed in updates as android discovers it. Like I said before it works fine in the dolphin browser.

9. plnelson

Is this a problem unique to the Incredible or is it on all the Android phones?

I went to dolphin-browser.com and only saw download instructions, no information on the publisher. Who makes it; is it open-source; is it some guy in his basement, is it a big company or what? How do you get support for it?

I've seen lots of bad reviews of Dolphin browser on the web, especially WRT UI/UX and performance.

10. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Honestly, those type of menu's are really not mobile friendly regardless of whether it's easier or harder to use on some other phone.

Look at appbrain.com, you'll find info/reviews of most apps out there. Not to mention, it's an awesome app when combined with fast web installer. one click app installs from the web to your phone.