Droid Incredible LED flashlight!

Last Updated:

1. Bisnicks

Bisnicks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would simply like to be able to toggle the flash on or off on the back and be able to keep it on. That's it. Basically make something like droidlight that is compatible with the HTC Incredible. I can't imagine it'd be difficult!

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i know there is one for the samsung moment, you might try that one idk if it'll work though, if not i'm sure someone is working on it

3. BigBK

BigBK Member

Hey I noticed this forum seemed to slow down a bit. Any word on the app yet. I read somewhere that it would require root. I'm new to the community and I have no idea what that is and why that complicates things so much. Why is root inaccessible at this time and are any devs close to working it out?

4. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

it might require root becuase the current OS does not give access to the LED directly (only through the camera)

getting root permissions is similar to jailbreaking an iphone. what it requires is hacking the software and changing it to allow you to do whatever you want.
    there are devs working on this currently and they are making ground. we just have to wait for it to happen at this point.

rooting your phone is something not to be done lightly though. (and almost definitly not just for a flashlight app)
    it is possible to damage your phone if you dont do it correctly and definitly voids your warrenty.
    it also gives you abilities on your phone that could damage your phone after you have done a successful root.

that being said it is a great thing that the devs are working on this. there is loads of functionality that can be improved by doing this.
    i for one dont have use for anything that my phone cant do right now but i always like seeing the possibilities and may at some point root my phone for play.

anyone have anything to add or edit in my post??? :confused: :D

5. Doctor Hanso

Doctor Hanso Member

Why would rooting your phone void your warranty? Wouldn't that just be a software change fixable with a factory reset? Wouldn't any app that "roots" the phone to do something such as turn on the LED technically be "rooting" your phone and those apps would in turn void your warranty?

Nice Maniac Mansion reference BTW... ;)

6. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

i played Day of the Tentacle when i was just 5 YO i think... :D

unfortunatly i dont know the subject well enough myself to help any further :(

7. zebdor

zebdor Member

Rooting, if done incorrectly, can sometimes brick the phone, making it unusable and a factory reset might not always work. This is most likely the reason why the warranty would be voided. Rooted phones can be dangerous if someone doesn't know what they're doing. Carriers and phone companies probably don't want to mess with issues and complaints if a user screws up the phone so they just void the warranty in those cases.