• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

.::Droid Incredible Lounge::.

I would gladly share. I've had enough rain for quite some time.

I had to replace the pump switch at my well. The well house is actually a buried chest freezer with the back removed. It was low enough that it got under water. I also had to completely take apart and clean my grill that was chained to my deck. If not for being chained, I wouldn't have had to worry about it lol. Mostly the flood left a lot of debris on the property. Fence posts, pieces of tin sheds, lots of plastic gas cans, and other assorted trash. I also gained a picnic table that needs one new leg and a shattered wooden porch swing. I also gained some 4x4's from someone's future project and a huge bridge timber. I also lost four trees that were along the river's edge. It eroded the bank and they fell with the current... up into the yard. I haven't begun to attack that project but my woodpile will be replenished big time. It also deposited a serpentine like sandbar that stretches the length of the property. It's over a foot high in places and around eight feet wide. It's basically very fine white sand. It looks rather weird out in the grass. I suspect it will eventually grass over but it isn't going to happen for a year or two.

I made out great! I was sweating bullets over the weekend of the flood however. I couldn't get in there for my trailer and cabin were surround by water. A river is quite a force.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
chris-hansen.png

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Sounds like too much work to me, I've grown tired since reaching retirement age. LOL

Glad you made out well.

Be careful about gettin lazy my friend. My father always said that if a man that's worked all his life just sits around that he'll rust out. He was a very hard working man but there came a time in his life that he did just that... sat down and really didn't care to do anything. Sure enough, he rusted out. :eek:

Upvote 0
I would gladly share. I've had enough rain for quite some time.

I had to replace the pump switch at my well. The well house is actually a buried chest freezer with the back removed. It was low enough that it got under water. I also had to completely take apart and clean my grill that was chained to my deck. If not for being chained, I wouldn't have had to worry about it lol. Mostly the flood left a lot of debris on the property. Fence posts, pieces of tin sheds, lots of plastic gas cans, and other assorted trash. I also gained a picnic table that needs one new leg and a shattered wooden porch swing. I also gained some 4x4's from someone's future project and a huge bridge timber. I also lost four trees that were along the river's edge. It eroded the bank and they fell with the current... up into the yard. I haven't begun to attack that project but my woodpile will be replenished big time. It also deposited a serpentine like sandbar that stretches the length of the property. It's over a foot high in places and around eight feet wide. It's basically very fine white sand. It looks rather weird out in the grass. I suspect it will eventually grass over but it isn't going to happen for a year or two.

I made out great! I was sweating bullets over the weekend of the flood however. I couldn't get in there for my trailer and cabin were surround by water. A river is quite a force.

Ouch, glad it wasn't too bad though.

I'm still salty my drip pan from grill disintegrated on me :(
75 bucks to replace, with is half the cost of the grill. Deck just got finished being built and was going to try to get a few grill outs going on the new deck...

Upvote 0
Well that's the way with grills. Even the expensive ones will let you down. Mine at the cabin is a cheapie three burner with a side burner. I think it cost me 130 bucks or so. It wasn't worth cleaning up really but it is only a year old.

New deck eh? Sounds cool. Decks cry out for some bbq time.

Just had house built and moved in a month ago. Kitchen door is 4 feet off ground so deck was a must.

Mine is a 199 Grill Master 5 burner (with a side i never use). But with replacement part being 75, and the burner covers looking bad, I figure its time to get a new one. This one has been going for...... maybe 5 years now.

Upvote 0
IMO opinion, the cheaper the better. Find one that has the BTU output you are happy with and go with it. They all burn up/rust out/fall apart anyway. I have a thousand dollar Jen Air on my patio that I spent 250 on a couple of years ago to return it to use only to have it burn up again. Hey, it'is a great looking stainless steel cabinet now. I learned my lesson.

Now is a great time to shop for a grill if you are in the mood. They are or will soon be off the floor to be replaced with plastic xmas trees and the like.

Upvote 0
IMO opinion, the cheaper the better. Find one that has the BTU output you are happy with and go with it. They all burn up/rust out/fall apart anyway. I have a thousand dollar Jen Air on my patio that I spent 250 on a couple of years ago to return it to use only to have it burn up again. Hey, it'is a great looking stainless steel cabinet now. I learned my lesson.

Now is a great time to shop for a grill if you are in the mood. They are or will soon be off the floor to be replaced with plastic xmas trees and the like.

True that, I was leaning that way but wasn't sure if that was the sensible option. The 100-150 grills tend to look a little cheap. I'm leaning more towards the 150-200 range hoping that is the sweet spot. Just put current grill on new deck with 2 cookie sheets duct taped together, haha. That won't hold long

Upvote 0
I bought a cheap piece of for the cabin. That thing gets way hot and cooks great. And, when it quits, my feelings won't be so hurt that tossing it will not ruin my day. If you are willing to throw down a couple hundred on one you can get a nice looking yet functional grill. Are you looking for a LP model or charcoal? I like cooking with gas but have done plenty of cooking with both fuels. My favorite fuel is wood pellets. Though the pellet grills have come down in price, they are still pricey. There is also a lot to go wrong with them... being electric, with a couple of motors, and a controller board.

Let me know what you get... a pic of the deck too... would love to see how the better half lives. :D

Upvote 0
I bought a cheap piece of for the cabin. That thing gets way hot and cooks great. And, when it quits, my feelings won't be so hurt that tossing it will not ruin my day. If you are willing to throw down a couple hundred on one you can get a nice looking yet functional grill. Are you looking for a LP model or charcoal? I like cooking with gas but have done plenty of cooking with both fuels. My favorite fuel is wood pellets. Though the pellet grills have come down in price, they are still pricey. There is also a lot to go wrong with them... being electric, with a couple of motors, and a controller board.

Let me know what you get... a pic of the deck too... would love to see how the better half lives. :D

Well, I don't know about the 'better half' hahah!

But picks for sure. Wife's best friend is a good contractor so we got an OK deal on a 20' x 14' deck. I feel like 200 is a sweet spot, not cheap and falling apart immediately, and not too expensive that I'll lost sleep when I have to replace it (hopefully) after at least 5 years. Using propane now, and will most likely stick with that.

We were in an apartment for several months waiting on house, and had a tiny little charcoal grill. Forgot how different everything tasted with Charcoal.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't know about the 'better half' hahah!

But picks for sure. Wife's best friend is a good contractor so we got an OK deal on a 20' x 14' deck. I feel like 200 is a sweet spot, not cheap and falling apart immediately, and not too expensive that I'll lost sleep when I have to replace it (hopefully) after at least 5 years. Using propane now, and will most likely stick with that.

We were in an apartment for several months waiting on house, and had a tiny little charcoal grill. Forgot how different everything tasted with Charcoal.

I always liked the taste of meats cooked over charcoal. Especially if a chimney is used to start the coals vs a propellant. However, I seem to burp it forever no matter how the coals are started. My father always soaked his coals in a little gas. Everything tasted like a 53 Edsil ! It sort of ruined me on charcoal cooking.

Cool deal on the deck! I bet you love the hell out of it. I have a covered patio here at the house. It has proved to be well worth it's cost. I put a deck on the cabin at the river. It's only ten by twelve but large enough for a large table and six chairs. I added it to the existing deck which was six by eight. It's great to party on and around. There is something just so cool about a deck. Looking forward to your pics....

Upvote 0
I know nobody asked me, but while we're on the subject of decks...

Last year our deck got SO dilapidated that we had to demolish it and start all over. After several drawings and iterations, we got a contractor to come out and he did a SUPERB job on it. It cost enough... but it's a marvel!

Here's our OLD deck:

20140811064006.jpg

You can see how the 4x4 posts were literally warping! Once they came out of the ground, we discovered that they were just stuck into the dirt... no concrete or anything! Anyway, that's all gone now, and here's our new deck:

20141104165514.jpg

Now we have 6x6s anchored in concrete and supporting the deck, which is framed out with 12x2s... it's not going anywhere!

:)

Upvote 0
Both decks are cool and look well built. I love that outdoor space. There is nothing quite like having breakfast out on the deck.

Here is a pic of the almost completed deck I put on the cabin. It came complete with a slave to clean up... OH.. wait a minute, that's Mrs. Ob. :rolleyes:

IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

My buddy ran LED lighting all around the thing. They are on a controller that lets you change the color and intensity. It's pretty cool at night but looks a bit like the entrance to a French ..... house.:D:rolleyes::eek:

Upvote 0
Both decks are cool and look well built. I love that outdoor space. There is nothing quite like having breakfast out on the deck.

Here is a pic of the almost completed deck I put on the cabin. It came complete with a slave to clean up... OH.. wait a minute, that's Mrs. Ob. :rolleyes:

My buddy ran LED lighting all around the thing. They are on a controller that lets you change the color and intensity. It's pretty cool at night but looks a bit like the entrance to a French ..... house.:D:rolleyes::eek:

Love the idea of getting real LED's on it. We have some (cheap) solar led's we hung yesterday. Better than nothing, but not quite what I was going for. I'd like something tied to a switch, and colored would be cool. Especially when all the french girls come over. ;)

@chief damn, you were way past due for a new deck. I'd a broke that thing :)

Upvote 0
Love the idea of getting real LED's on it. We have some (cheap) solar led's we hung yesterday. Better than nothing, but not quite what I was going for. I'd like something tied to a switch, and colored would be cool. Especially when all the french girls come over. ;)

All jokes aside. The lighting is cool. Be certain to place them lower than your line of sight if you string some. Dim is pretty bright in the night and especially if they are in your eyes. Indirect is the ticket.
The controller this guy used does all kinds of stuff. Fades slowly and then slowly brings up another color is the best effect IMO. But the lights can chase each other and flash and ... well you name it really. Red, blue, and white lights in any combo which can make lots of different colors. French like, yes, but still nice light at night.

Upvote 0
Can I resurrect a thread or what? [emoji16][emoji23]

It's a valuable skill. I figure I have another good 30 years of posting in this thread :)

The thread is like having a vintage auto. It's good to drive it around a bit now and then but you don't want to rack up a lot of miles on the old girl. :D

HaHa!!! And that is funny :)

Reactions: olbriar and Musky
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones