• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Incredible - Water damage

gordonm002

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
I dropped my phone in a sink full of hot soapy water the other night doing the dishes. I took the phone apart and put in rice to let it dry out... I think I tried turning it on before it was fully dry tho and it doesn't work. Its fully dry now and shows that its charging, that its on, and also connects to my PC but I have a black screen. Nothing shows up. It still vibrates when I get texts tho... I just can't see them (the screen is completely black). Anyone have any idea as to what is wrong or if anything can be replaced to make it useable again????? I'm not available for an upgrade til 4/12 and don't really want to pay full retail for a phone. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the motherboard is working. Mostly likely you will need a new LCD and maybe a new digitizer. Worse case is the LCD driver on the motherboard is dead (need new motherboard). You won't know until you try connecting the motherboard to a known good LCD. Note there are two versions of the phone, each with a different LCD and motherboard (not interchangeable), make sure you have the right parts if you try to repair.

Also, the water will eventually cause enough corrosion to cause the phone to fail in the future. If you do go ahead with a repair, you might trying soaking the parts (except the battery) in pure (distilled) water and letting it dry before repair (you can also try rubbing alcohol (as pure as possible) as that dries quicker. This will hopefully take all the offending minerals away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones