droid + irc + verizon = no go?

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i frequent efnet on irc to talk to friends and i realized that i cannot connect using 3G... i read this is a problem but verizon doesn't really acknowledge anything. the only way i can connect to a server is through wi-fi or a java client like mibbit.

anyone have any additional info on this or know a way to get irc to work? ive tried AndChat and i emailed AndroidIRC (who stated that if AndChat doesn't work, then Androidirc won't either) .. basically it comes down to verizon blocking ports? not too sure... this sucks though..

any suggestions on how to get on irc?

Advertisement
  2. culpin

culpin Well-Known Member

I would also love an answer to this! :D

3. kraze0g

so far i've had to use www.mibbit.com ... the web based irc thing :(
    everyone is telling me (the makers of AndChat and AndroidIRC) this is strickly a verizon issue in restricting IRC access for unknown reasons.. but verizon is reluctant to say anything because they may get in trouble for disrupting a social network thats been around forever.. they won't really comment on anything. sucks. i should be able to use 3G for irc just like other wireless companies allow their customers to do so.

4. EMSguy

EMSguy Active Member

I'm using some pretty crappy but free IRC app called DaraIRC. I've had no issues on the verizon 3g network.

5. kraze0g

ill give that a try -- your one of the few that can get 3g to work with irc.. it also depends on what server ur connecting to and i guess location (from what i heard).. interested in knowing what server u frequent and what are your in..