Droid is a mess

Last Updated:

1. rockne

rockne Member This Topic's Starter

So last week I took my droid in due to a ton of issues (reboots, data not working, email a mess, gtalk cannot get a connection). The manager offered to replace it with a new droid but she did not have any in stock. We agreed that she could ship me one to an out of town location since I was traveling. Low and behold my phone shows up and it is a certified "like new" droid. The droid has a 1 year man warranty, and to me this is unacceptable. Has anyone else had to return there phone and what did they get when this happened. I was under the impression it would be a brand new phone...after all it is only 4 months old and with a 1 year and $300.00 price tag this seems really crappy.

toughts??

rockne

Advertisement
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I feel ya, I used to feel the same way. But, if it makes you feel any better there's something to be said for the phones that go through (from what I understand to be) a more rigorous testing than the assembly-line new phones.

Before my Droid I had a Voyager. Or 7. The only one that lasted was the refurb I got after a buncha new ones.

*shrug*

I wouldn't worry about it. If that one has problems you can just return it, too.

3. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member

Seconded ^

New isn't always better.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I've replaced three iPods so far, one that cost more than $300. ALL of the replaced iPods were refurbs. I think it's par for the course today.

On a side note ... do you really think that "Droid is a mess" is really a fitting title for your issue? Just sayin'...

5. Wazoo

Wazoo Well-Known Member

Geeze, am I the only one who hasn't had any noticeable problems with my Droid?

6. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

I believe there are two of us. :D

7. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I had a description of CLNR phones at one point, and can't find it now.
    They are gone over and tested by hand, in my experience better than new.
    Nick

8. Juneau

Juneau Well-Known Member

Nope.

9. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't bother me unless it came all scratched and beat up. A one year warranty is a one year warranty.

+1 Bad titles clog up the forms just as bad if not worse as not using the search function. IMHO

10. i ride a burton

i ride a burton Active Member

+1 no probs so far (crosses fingers)

11. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

It's standard to get a refurbished phone for a warranty replacement. It's pretty much the same with most electronic gadgets.

12. zakany

zakany Member

Your used phone was replaced by a used phone.

13. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

touch

14. d1pham

d1pham Well-Known Member

I believe VZW's replacement policy is as follows:

< 30 days = new phone.
    > 30 days = refurbished.

15. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i have had no issues... i love my droid

16. Unclebill

Unclebill Active Member

Make that 3

17. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

no issues.

18. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member

Well, I when my phone broke I had NO warranty just manufactures and they gave me a new phone right out of a "new" box just didn't give me the box, just the phone

19. Motormech

Motormech Well-Known Member

My 3G went bye-bye on day 28 and I got a new phone to replace it. I asked about the new/refurb policy and this is what I was told. Under 30 days (from purchase) you get a new one. Over the 30 and you get a refurb.

20. mtrish88

mtrish88 Member

IF they would have had the phone in stock you would have got a brand new one but when they have to order one they give you a refurbished one..Just a side note

21. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I had a unique problem with my first Droid. After about 2 weeks (that was before we got root so it was factory rom) I had an issue with the notification light. All notifications resulted in a flashing red light. I read that you could change notification lights with an app on the market ('Missed Call' I believe). So I downloaded it and of all the notification led options (red, blue, light blue, cyan, white, pink, etc.) only the Red and Blue lights worked.

I reset to factory default and wiped all data but the problem remained. No issues with the new phone.

22. smguy101

smguy101 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with mine.
    But really what's the problem with a refurbished Droid???
    Arguably the refurbished one should work better than a brand new one because they go through so much testing before they are released.
    So don't make a big deal out of it, it's not the end of the world ;-)

23. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member

I'm on my second Droid - one day the first Droid wouldn't re-boot and got stuck on the Motorola symbol. Verizon called it "incomplete wake-up." It was after 30 days, so I got a refurb. It works fine and looks new. However, over time I've noticed some subtle fit-and-finish issues. The headphone jack is not snug (but so far, no static or drop out on either channel). I can see a line of white light coming up from under the 4 navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen. The spacebar on the physical keyboard looks and feels a little lopsided - but it works fine. But none of these is bad enough to justify a return and like I said, everything works fine. So far, nothing to really complain about with the refurb that isn't probably present to some degree on all Droids...

24. droidx

droidx Well-Known Member

yea, i have no problems with mine either, i just turn it on and it goes, i love this phone so much, no complaints, and yes the droid being a mess, not really, it was just your one experience, overall the phone rocks, now if you were to refer to at&t being a "hot mess" then you would be correct

25. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

another thing to note about refurbished is it doesn't necessarily mean something was wrong with the phone and it was fixed, tested, and given out as a refurb. more often than not, refurbs are just items someone had for a few days, didn't like, and returned. it gets put through the string of testing and is then given out.

my mom always acts like a refurb is more prone to breaking because "something was wrong with it to begin with" and that is just not the case all the time.