Droid is great, except when needed as phone!

Last Updated:

1. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased my first Motorola Droid less than a week ago. I must say I absolutely love it. I'm always using it, I've never had a phone with applications before. I seriously just love it...

... Except when I need it as a phone.

I don't know if anyone else is having the same problems as me, or I just haven't adjusted to the phone, but whenever I'm using it as a phone, I always end up hitting the keypad with my face which isn't that bad, you just hear the beeping. But I can't even count the number of times I've hung up on people by hitting the 'end' button planted in the middle of the screen. I've tried ways around this by like clicking home, so it would stay on the home screen instead of the phone screen but it'll eventually just go back to it. Is there a way I can easily lock my phone while on the phone? I've tried hitting the lock button as well but it just kills the display.
    I also had a similar problem on my previous phone (LG Dare) occasionally (no where near as often) I would end up dialing someone else while on the phone. So it's probably just me.

But if anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Proximity sensor should turn the screen off when you hold the phone up to your face. Does the LCD screen turn off or is it still on when you're on a call?

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member

VERY common complaint. Search around, you'll find many discussions regarding this one.

My wife is returning her droid this weekend for this reason alone and getting something else.

As far as I know, there aren't any apps out there right now, but you could have a phone wtih a defective proximity sensor (if you dont have long hair). If you have long hair, then its the hair triggering. I'd go back to the store and demonstrate and see what they say.

4. Spike760

I'm not sure because I can't see the screen while I'm talking on the phone I'm pretty sure it's on. Is there a problem with my promixity sensor, or is there a way to change it in the settings?

Thank you for your prompt answer by the way.

Edit //

Thank you for your reply as well. It may be my hair because my side bangs are kind of long. I will show Verizon soon, thank you.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

If you have long hair, it may be in the way of the proximity sensor.

6. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Long hair / sideburns, etc. are known to interfere with the proximity sensor. The screen should black out when you put the phone to your face on a call. If this is not happening then you should return the phone because it is not working as intended.

7. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

The DROID said long haired freaky people, need not apply :D

johnlgalt, mcapehart and skunkpbguy like this.
  8. Spike760

Haha so pretty much if it becomes THAT annoying, I should either cut my hair, or return the Droid. Hard decision. Haha, I'll just deal with it though, thanks everyone!

9. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

If you hit the sleep/power button while the phone is next to your face it will turn off the screen and then turn on again when you take it away (you will have to slide the unlock button though).

10. mom on the move

mom on the move Member

I've been having the same problem. Hitting MUTE a lot or dialing numbers. I've tried all the tips on here... I keep my hair tucked behind my ear, I hold it lower on my face which has helped some as well. But it's not fool-proof.

One thing I did notice when messing around, and this may help someone else searching for help with this problem... I have Screebl Pro installed (LOVE the app) and under preferences there's an "In-Call Behavior" option... mine was set to "Screen Lock On"... well, the moto droid doesn't allow for a screen lock (so far... still crossing my fingers an app developer finds a way around this) so who knows what that setting was actually doing.... I think it was keeping my screen ON... anyways, I changed the setting to " Screebl Disabled at Ear" and it's gotten a lot better. Not sure if my screebl settings were keeping the screen on at the position I use to talk, but I have noticed an improvement to the "face dialing"

It sure would be nice though if I didn't have to adjust the way I've held a phone to my face for 30 years just to get my droid to "work right" when in a call.

And I don't have a broken proximity sensor... it works fine when my husband uses my phone, and I get the same problems when I use his phone... I've got tiny ears... wonder if that's a contributing factor?

11. johnrigu

johnrigu Well-Known Member

you can can look in the mirror to see if the proximity reader turnsz off the display OR
    just get one of these and your problem will be solved.

[​IMG]

12. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I've NEVER had this happen to me but, then again, I use the speaker phone 98% of the time.

13. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

there is an app in the market called "sensor test". Download it, its free.

Run it.

The 6th readout is "proximity sensor".
    It should say:

PROXIMITY
    SFH7743 Proximity sensor
    0: 2.1474837E8
    1: 0.0
    2:0.0

The sensor is in the upper left corner of the display next to the speaker. When you put your finger within an inch of that corner the reading on line 0 should go to 3.0. If it doesn't change you have a defective proximity sensor. I've had one and had to exchange the phone.

14. hitman618

hitman618 Member

never had this problem but i just hold the phone to my ear when i talk

15. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

There's a real easy fix for this.. it's called a Bluetooth headset. I got a cheap motorola that I picked up for like $15 off newegg and never had any problems with it. It fixes a lot of these common issues people have with their Droid.

I will however agree that the Droid does suck as an actual phone. Mine constantly misses calls because it doesn't kick on the screen quick enough for me to answer, or the swipe doesn't do anything, or it won't recognize my BT answer button. Then my custom ringtones hardly ever work, as well as the caller id. If I actually used my phone to talk a lot, I probably would have returned it by now.

16. schad89

schad89 Active Member

Weird, I've never had any of those problems and I talk on the phone quite a bit.

17. HumanContract

HumanContract Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to agree. The phone is awesome, I don't even need a laptop anymore when studying or basically ever. As a phone, not so comfy...definitely can't hold it with your shoulder. At night is when I may talk longer than usual before I go to bed, and I used to wedge my LG Voyager under my ear and between the pillow and I could jus talk talk talk all sleepy without even holding the phone and now it's like a serious activity to just talk on the phone URGH. Luckily I don't talk on the phone much, and now I'm using it even less lol, I'm constantly trying to get off the phone with people within like 2 minutes. BUT, my Droid is totally worth it, and it's taking over my life...and so is this forum. :rolleyes:

18. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I hit the keypad and speaker. Just test it by calling a number and put your finger over the upper left corner. Mine blacks out before my finger touches the screen .

19. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem if I try to hold it between my ear and shoulder. I mute the call alot which leads to the other person hanging up thinking the call was lost or something. Half the time it will go dark and just not come back at all. Sometimes it will go dark while I am touching it. I also have problems answering calls half the time. I hardly use my phone to talk at all........ Other then that I love the phone. But it is after all a phone and should function as one before the other features.

20. Pale_Flyer

Pale_Flyer Member

there are many apps out, android sensor data is a decent one, which will tell you of proximity sensor data, as well as many other things, it will display NEAR, and FAR, or INIT (no detect) for the proximity sensor.

21. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

My Droid is by far the very BEST voice phone I have EVER owned, hands down. However, I very rarely ever talk on any wireless phone without my trusty Jawbone bluetooth, and most recently, my Jawbone Icon bluetooth headset. The Motorola Droid and the Jawbone bluetooth headset together is the finest quality voice combo money can buy at ANY price, in my not-so-humble opinion on this. I really don't understand why anyone would use ANY smartphone without a bluetooth headset of some sort.

22. nstallion

I love when people resurrect a thread to answer a question someone asked 2 months ago.

23. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

While that is humorous, it shows that they are at least searching.

I'd rather have dead threads resurrected than see the same question asked in 5 different threads....

djkeller3 likes this.
  24. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Screen should automatically turn off when held up to your ear. If it isn't, the proximity sensor may be faulty, and maybe you should ask vz for a replacement Droid. Other than that, there is an app that turns off the screen during calls I believe, but I can't think of the name atm.

25. nstallion

ROFL. This definitely proves my suspicion that most people look at the first post in a thread and THAT'S IT.