droid keeps deleting messages

Last Updated:

1. John Connor

John Connor Active Member This Topic's Starter

am i the only one this happens too? it didnt happen with my old droid, but with this refurbish one, it seems to happen every other 2 weeks.... all of sudden my text messages just get deleted... also for a while i was unable to send text messages... i pulled out my battery and re-started my phone and its back to working...

my main thing is the whole deleting messages... any idea why this happens?.. can it be fix?

Advertisement
  2. Bg8780

Bg8780 Active Member

I had this happen when using Handcent. Are you using the stock sms app?

3. John Connor

the stock sms... i was thinking of maybe getting handcent, did this happen when using handcent

4. Bg8780

Bg8780 Active Member

Yes, that only happened to me when using handcent. I guess this wasn't the apps fault since you are having the same issue.

5. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

It happen to me as well while using Handcent. A Verizon tech fed me some bull about opening the message in the drop down tray deletes the message in the tread. BS

I un installed Handcent and every thing works now.

6. Plakius

Plakius Well-Known Member

I use stock SMS and this happens ... I used to use smsunread and they said it was that apps fault ... clearly "DROID does" delete messages ... :)

7. John Connor

so there really is no way of fixing it?

8. brett1987

brett1987 New Member

i use the stock app and it deleted all of my messages to

9. Muertos

Muertos Member

Yeah I'm having this same issues it even deleted all my messages after it did it previously a day before..it also deleted a lock message and I thought once a message was locked it "can't" be deleted but yeah I hope fix or something fixes this issue.

10. Snowman

Snowman Well-Known Member

This happened to me the other day. I had that happen to me twice since I had my replacement Droid.

11. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

Happens to me too...would this warrant a replacement?

12. Hola91

Hola91 Well-Known Member

I was having the same problem. Turns out that the antivirus app I had installed was causing it to delete them and force close the messaging. Stock sms.

13. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

If you guys are running any Task Killer type applications, make sure you tell it to leave the messaging app alone when you kill all open tasks.

I have a feeling killing the messenger app when it may have a file still *open might be doing some funky stuff. Just a guess.

-droidosis-

14. Neverendingxsin

Neverendingxsin Active Member

you know the one time that all my messages got deleted when using handcent, it happened when i opened up a message in the drop down tray

15. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

I use Handcent exclusively and my teenage son uses the stock app exclusively. Neither one of us have had the DROID delete our messages. I only do a couple hundred texts per month but my son does several thousand and we have never had that issue on either of our DROIDs. Wonder what's causing it for you guys so we can be sure to avoid it!

16. Neverendingxsin

Neverendingxsin Active Member

well with handcent im guessing its just a random bug that happens. not sure what causes it at all, but if i get any ideas ill be sure to post them :)

on the brightside its not so bad to have all my messages deleted, sometimes its nice to start fresh lol

17. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

I found two ways around the problem. I was originally using Handcent and thought that was the problem so I deleted Handcent and switched to the stock app. I still had the problem. After doing some reading I reinstalled Handcent and disabled the on screen notification window. After I disabled the popup my messages started treading again. I then went into Startup auditor and re enabled the stock messaging app. This made it where I can use the Handcent popups and still see message treads.

In short when I disabled the stock messaging app in Startup Editor it caused the issue. Handcent must use a process or file in the stock messaging app that Startup Editor was killing.

18. MyCameraIsPink

MyCameraIsPink Active Member

there goes my txt again... seems to be every other two weeks... happened almost the same time/date as last time... unless the phone doesn't like me being at the club?!

19. Rulethecourt

Rulethecourt Member

I got the almost opposite effect. My phone doesn't delete threads at all, i have to delete entire message. Not a big deal but i have to look up the people i text all time insted of deleting just the threads :)

20. John Connor

happend again last night, i was at a bar, from what i remember my gf text me and my whole messages just got all deleted, this is really frustrating.......

there is no way of fixing this?

21. rckymtnrfc

rckymtnrfc Member

I have a similar issue that's happened a dozen or so times over the past month.

I use Handcent. I get an Notification of a new txt in my Notification tray (I don't use the popup) but I have noticed the icon widget doesn't update with a 1. When I open Handcent the txt is gone....

Fortunately I'm using Google Voice so I open up the Google Voice app and I can see the missing txt.

22. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

definitely just happened overnight for me.

but I use ChompSMS

23. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

Guys this has nothing to do with ChompSMS or Handscent or any other application. It is a HUGE bug in the Android OS.

Issue 5669 - android - Droid deleting all Messaging/SMS conversation threads at random or triple sending - Project Hosting on Google Code

Please star it and voice your opinion until it is fixed, because this is not acceptable I have lost all texts over 5 times now and I want to keep them just like the iPhone kept my messages for 2 years!

24. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

Mine were deleted:

Battery pull with a message open in Handcent did it. Can't say that I mind. Handcent runs much quicker without all those messages stuffed in there.

25. crodell6

crodell6 New Member

Hopefully they do something, they got quit a bit of complaints!