Droid keyboard issue...Support

Last Updated:

1. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I recently went to the Verizon store because three of my keyboard keys were falling off my Droid. I got my phone on release day, and I was one of the people that got a Droid with the bubbly keys, opposed to the flat keyboard.

Anyway, the Verizon employee told me that there was an issue with the first batch of keyboards for the Droid (the version with the bubbly keys) which is why Motorola switched to a flat keyboard. (I don't know how true this is, but I am taking his word for it)

He then went on to ask me if I had phone insurance, which I did, and then told me that since it was considered "wear-and-tear", I could get a replacement for $100.

How is a problem that is related to a defect keyboard considered "wear-and-tear"? I found it incredibly interesting that immediately after telling me that there was a defect with the keyboard, he told me I would have to pay because my issue was considered wear-and-tear. Is it just me or does that not make sense?

Anyway, I told him that there was no way I was spending $100 to get a new phone, when I could simply just glue the keys back on.

Before I go and start gluing, Does anyone know if there is a way to get your phone replaced by Motorola directly? If not, I can at least deal with it until I upgrade in 2011.

Advertisement
  2. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

Why don't you call Verizon & see if they will swap it out as a defect?

3. Jon Nale

Instead of calling, I went to the store. That is where I talked to the Verizon person I referred to in my post.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I would call and get a second opinion... sounds like a defect to me

5. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

I always get MUCH farther by calling Verizon then I do with the idiots in the store.

6. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

By calling, they will not give you the "wear & tear" BS.... defective is defective... BTW, I find the stores employees have the least amount of tech knowledge. The phone people can transfer you to get help, the store will tell you to call for help.

7. Jon Nale

Cheers for the heads up everyone.

I will probably give them a call sometime after Thanksgiving.

Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving!