• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid lag is out of controll

my droid is lagging so badly i dont know what to do next..... i have had to revert to regular wall paper just to get the phone to do something. i have to reboot the phone 3 or 4 times a day and most times the icons and widget do not come back and i have to reboot again. do you think i need to exchange the phone? or is there something i can do to help it get back to the awesome thing it once was?:mad:

sorry, had to work, i am not rooted, not really all that custom anymore either, i keep turning stuff off to try and get it to work better. i use beautiful widget, power control widget and calendar widget 3x4. that's it. i just installed task killer to try and stop some stuff to see if that helps and it really isn't. i am going to try and clear caches next.

wont so a factory restart until last option

Upvote 0
sorry, had to work, i am not rooted, not really all that custom anymore either, i keep turning stuff off to try and get it to work better. i use beautiful widget, power control widget and calendar widget 3x4. that's it. i just installed task killer to try and stop some stuff to see if that helps and it really isn't. i am going to try and clear caches next.

wont so a factory restart until last option

Ok. YOu should clear caches. Advance task killer is probably not a good idea. there is a whole thread debating if memmory and task management programs should even be used. Most agree the answer is no. So if you have any other memmory management or task management apps you should just get rid of them.

I had similar issues with my droid. I am rooted so I would boot into recovery and format the cache. Im not sure what was causing the problem. I think maybe Pandora. I would clear the cache and it would run perfect for a couple days, then id have to clear it again.

I have Froyo now and I havent experienced any similar problems yet. My advice would be to root because waiting for Froyo stinks. Rooting now is so easy. You can even Root your current ROM and not load Froyo which would give you the recovery console where you can wipe your cache.

Im not sure how you could format your cache without root. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Upvote 0
thanks for all the help, i have basically stripped it down and its still lagging. i am going to try a hard reset then calling Verizon and swapping it out, i have also noticed now that the signal strength keeps dropping when its just sitting there not moving, it goes back and forth from 1g to 3g. i have called the update phone numbers twice and it didnt seem to help any. i am thinking its a hardware issue now

Upvote 0
My droid has been lagging. I bought "Quick App Clean Cache" for like 60 cents. Even if you're not rooted, which I'm not, it sorts your apps by cache size and lets you clear them one-by-one. Not bad.
Did it seem to help your "lag" out? I know you can do that sort of thing straight from the applications manager *Granted, it doesn't really sort by "Cache size"...*

Upvote 0
I just did it a couple minutes ago, and it seems fine. You're right, you can do the exact same functions from the app manager, but it doesn't Pareto sort the applications.

If the cache thing is really what's slowing the phone down, I'm pretty happy with this solution. However, the lack of cache clearing apps in the market makes me think it might not be the root cause.

Upvote 0
thanks for all the help, i have basically stripped it down and its still lagging. i am going to try a hard reset then calling Verizon and swapping it out, i have also noticed now that the signal strength keeps dropping when its just sitting there not moving, it goes back and forth from 1g to 3g. i have called the update phone numbers twice and it didnt seem to help any. i am thinking its a hardware issue now

Could you provide a list of apps that you have installed? I am willing to bet it is a random app causing the issue, because it seems from your post that your phone wasn't always as lagging, correct? That is one downside to Androids open source, one shoddy developer making a very poorly coded app can really do a number on the performance of your phone.

Upvote 0
I don't think you have to be rooted to clear the cache partition. Just hold X while booting, and it will take you into the recovery, where the option to wipe the cache partition is.

I've posted this in another thread, but no one has answered me yet.

I have done this. I hold x while pressing the poser button and until I see the exclamation mark inside a triangle with a droid laying in front of it. I then Press the volume up key and the camera key at the same time. I then press the volume down key to highlight Clear Cache. I press the camera button and nothing happens.

When I first get into recovery, I see a message that states: "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" without the quotes.

What is happening and why? I my phone defective? Is something broken? What is going on here?

Thanks,
Kratos

Upvote 0
Didn't read all the post but..I hear you man. I was so sick of this Droid being sluggish even Over Clocked to 1200. Finally i decided to give Froyo 2.2 a shot. Well, I have over clocked it to 800 and there is 99% no lag. I am officially happy with my droid and proud to show it off now. Even at 600 it was pretty fast. I say look into the 2.2 thing and all your worries will be gone.

Upvote 0
I've posted this in another thread, but no one has answered me yet.

I have done this. I hold x while pressing the poser button and until I see the exclamation mark inside a triangle with a droid laying in front of it. I then Press the volume up key and the camera key at the same time. I then press the volume down key to highlight Clear Cache. I press the camera button and nothing happens.

When I first get into recovery, I see a message that states: "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" without the quotes.

What is happening and why? I my phone defective? Is something broken? What is going on here?

Thanks,
Kratos

Once you highlight the cashe clear you need to hit the center of That d pad. It tells you on the screen to do this. I learned the hard way also until I read every thing on the screen. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones