Droid Love/Hate Relationship!

Last Updated:

1. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well....after a few weeks with the droid, I can say that I really like it in a lot of respects.

However I think I have come to the realization that I just might not be a smart-phone kind of guy. While I love all of the features, apps and overall slickness to the interface while I am sitting at my desk, I start to get irritated at how many features there are once I am on the road. All of the little menu's and smallish touch buttons are distracting while driving.

For driving, I think you need a simple device, with big buttons/display.

For example, last.fm is a very cool streaming music player that allows you to skip songs while driving.....oops, hit the wrong button...now I have a search menu up...damn, have to hit the small "back" touch button, shit hit the go button, now it's searching the internet for what ever key combo I just pressed, have to hit the smallish "home" touch button, now bring up the apps menu, now navigate back to where I was before......all while trying not to run off the road. The device (to me) is just too complicated to make a good car player unless you are the kind of guy that can just set and forget until you stop the car.

Bluetooth doesn't do voice commands....yet. however there is an again small touch button on the screen for that...shit hit the wrong thing....slam brakes to avoid collision with cars in front of me....F#$ck this

Camera sucks (not just the auto focus issue, the lag from snap to actual pic), but may be fixed in the Dec. 11th update.

Someone may come up with a car app that addresses these issues but I don't know if I can wait.

Again, while sitting at my desk....I love it.... I think it's more of a two handed device, or I'm just not agile enough with my hand/thumb to do it safely while driving.

I guess I'm just a simple man and need a simple phone!

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

That was a really good read, made me laugh hahaha. I agree with you that it is very tricky to use some apps when driving, but maybe we shouldn't mess with our phones while we drive lol. I have been a smartphone lover for about 4 years now so I am use to the small touches it takes to use things, hell after using WinMo for so long Android was a huge relief. Much more user friendly and easier to get to your destination. Have you tried Pandora instead of last.fm? I think it is much easier to use especially when driving. To be honest you sound like someone who would do better with a iPhone, it is simple with big icons and a very intuitive interface, plus only one hardware button and it takes some pressure to push it. The AT&T network blows goats though so if T-Mobile is in your area I would go with them.

3. katoom400

I would have had an Iphone years ago if where not for the crappy AT&T network and customer service. I had high hopes for the droid, and maybe it's not as bad as I make it out to be, but it seems to be a pain in the arse while driving to me. I agree about the intuitive interface on the iphone....just can't live with AT&T in my home area!

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Ar yo saying if they outlaw using your phone while driving in your state you will love the droid completely?

5. katoom400

no, I'll still be fustrated, and I'll have the tickets to prove it!......lol