1. kmwhiten

kmwhiten Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. Robweis

Robweis Member

Yes they did pull it
  3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It sure looks like they stopped the update, but I have read no official announcement that says so. The last thing I read from Verizon or Motorola on the subject is that it was still rolling out, slowly.
  4. Robweis

Robweis Member

I heard that they did pull the update but you can download the update online I was looking for the step by step instructions
  5. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Well-Known Member

that would explain why I have not seen an update yet
  6. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Well-Known Member

my phone is currently downloading an update as I type this. Has KitKat been released for our phones again?

Disclaimer *if this is part of a soak test I never signed up for one and did not sign a NDA regarding it*
  7. ThrillKill

ThrillKill Well-Known Member

I checked this am and it started downloading. Was not prompted. Installed smoothly. So far no hiccups
  8. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

After it installs ... someone (if not signed up for a soak test) please take a screenshot like the one from the December Kit Kat release below and post it here.

Thank you.

... Thom

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  9. lbrow042

lbrow042 Member

Currently downloading. Will try to post the screen shot when it finishes.
  10. lbrow042

lbrow042 Member

Would you recommend doing the FDR or just using it for a while and seeing how it goes? I hate doing resets because it takes sooooo long to ge tthe phone back to how i want it.
  11. Rumma

Rumma Active Member

I'm receiving a system update as I type. Looks like the cork is out of the bottle!
  12. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I wasn't able to do a factory data reset until a few days [edit - it was eleven days] after my phone updated. I created a thread about it: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-maxx/814155-factory-reset-after-kitkat-update.html

tl;dr: I haven't noticed a tremendous difference or advantage from doing a factory reset. I thought so at first, maybe a little, but things are exactly the same right now. I would suggest unpairing and repairing any Bluetooth connections that you have, though. I had some BT issues at first until I did that (and not at all after the FDR.)
  13. lbrow042

lbrow042 Member

Just finished DLing and working on the screenshot, but I can tell you they will be identical.
  14. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I don't know what it is that we are dealing with yet.

If this is someone's update from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat then I think a Factory data Reset is a good idea. Do it when it is more convenient.

If this is someone's update from one version of Kit Kat to the next then I don't think a Factory Data Reset is needed.

The screenshot will give us a lot of insight.

... Thom
  15. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I was in the December soak test and waited until the release had been out a day before doing the Factory Data Reset (about five days).

The benefits from a Factory Data Reset after a major release update are unnoticeable in many cases. Not doing it and getting nailed to the wall after days, weeks, or months is the history we have seen repeated over-and-over.

Incremental releases within a version ... usually not needed.

... Thom
  16. lbrow042

lbrow042 Member

hope this helps

Attached Files:

Outatime and Thom like this.
  17. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

It does help.

This is identical to the December release of Kit Kat. As such I ASSUME you are updating from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat.

... Thom
  18. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

[​IMG]

There ya go Thom
    Outatime and Thom like this.
  19. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Same. See previous message.

... Thom
  20. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

I just updated my maxx and really see no changes. Seriously, what was all of the hype?
  21. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Smoooooooth. That's what I notice. Not much as far as the ui goes, but it runs very nicely.
  22. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This makes absolute and complete sense. If Motorola/Verizon had a different OTA, then they would have to create an update for everybody who received the update in December. That would be a nightmare and I could only see it being necessary if the December update was loaded with bugs. It really isn't.

Now Motorola can work on the next update with everybody at the same software release.
  23. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

My dad, step mom, mother-in-law and friend all received their upgrades to Kit Kat today. Looks like everyone is getting their break today!
  24. tweak4

tweak4 Well-Known Member

I got the 4.4 update today, and my biggest issue is that it seems to have hosed my bluetooth. I usually keep BT on all the time, and when I came within range of certain devices (my home phone, my car, etc), the phone would automatically connect. After taking the 4.4 update today, none of my devices connect automatically, and I have to go into the BT settings and manually connect to each one.
    Hopefully this is just a flaw that will be corrected, as it is a HUGE annoyance and major step backwards in terms of usability.
  25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I had a few similar BT issues after the update. It was fixed by reestablishing the pairings for all of the devices. Give that a try.