• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Maxx 4.4 Kit Kat Bugs

I definitely think it works better if I don't turn it off. I just noticed something in advanced settings, that I don't know if it was there before.. "Scanning always available"

Is that new to KitKat or did I just never notice that before? Sounds like it could be a slight battery thief with the line "apps scan for networks, even when Wi-Fi is off"

Right, I knew there was a setting or two that may be affecting this. I think if you keep those two turned on it keeps the WiFi radio on, even if you switch it off.

Upvote 0
Thom battery sucks after 4.4. Did FDR, still bad. Is yours the same as before?

One of the change log items for the recent update from 4.4 to 4.4.2 for a very similar phone, the Moto X, lists battery improvements for some users as part of the update. Yes, my battery life is slightly worse. I did do a factory reset and, within a day or two, battery life was the same as it was prior to the reset.

Generally, prior to the update, my phone trended to about 40 hours total battery life with about 5 hours screen time in those 40 hours. Now I am regularly trending to about 34 hours with about 4.5 hours screen time. The difference is noticeable and consistent. So, battery doesn't "suck" but it is worse than before.

I'm hoping that the Droids will get an update to 4.4.2 and that the update will improve battery life for me. Until then, I am happy that we have a phone with a battery as large as the Maxx.

Upvote 0
It would seem from the answers that my use is not particularly representative and probably the reason is that I don't see a hit. I don't stream anything. Perhaps that is the reason.

To answer your question ... in Safe Mode the apps that you added are not visible. The home screen reverts to the distributed version and alternate launchers are not identified. The app drawer does not show any of the apps that you added/

The easiest way to get familiar with Safe Mode is to boot into Safe Mode ... look around ... and then reboot into normal.

... Thom

Upvote 0
It's interesting that I was coincidentally doing my first "drain the battery" test in three months. I've done this three times now - I do this mostly to make sure that the battery charging circuitry is calibrated correctly. The first two times were under Jellybean, and in both cases I got to about 5% before I couldn't wait any longer and had to plug it in. Both times were over 40 hours.

This time - my first on KitKat - the phone got to 39 hours and powered off by itself.

And, for what it's worth, on Jellybean, if I ever left my phone unpowered while I slept, it drained about 1% per hour. The last two nights on KitKat I measured a drain of about 1.8% per hour.

I don't stream music, either, unless I am in the car and then I power the phone. My phone is basically doing the same things now it was doing under Jellybean. In fact, there are probably fewer apps now. The only thing I've changed is switching to Nova Prime as a launcher, and I know that's not causing drain - I've tested under the stock launcher as well and seen the same battery performance.

Of course, our experience are just two data points. Others, like Thom, may be seeing no difference, or perhaps even better battery life.

So, my suggestion would be - if you find no major difference under safe mode, or cannot find a mis-behaving app, try to find opportunities to plug in until there is an OTA; perhaps an update will help. Perhaps you can while driving to and from work in the car, or while sitting at your desk, or while you are eating dinner when you get home. Plug in while you wash up before you leave for work. It will not hurt the battery - if anything, the deeper the discharge and subsequent charge, the harder it is on the battery.

Upvote 0
I do not claim that this is representative of anything. I did try a full charge to full discharge test after Kit Kat had been used for a few weeks. The result was 3d 8h. This is just about the same result I got with Jelly Bean. See attached.

... Thom

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-05-17-33-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-05-17-33-50.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones