1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Droid Maxx vs Moto X - SoftwareGeneral

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

is the software IDENTICAL on the maxx and moto X? im talking touchless controls, active screen, great voice controls without touching the phone...

is all this on the maxx as well? i BELIEVE it was from our device info session we had at work but i honestly can't remember

IF the software lacks ABSOLUTELY no feature that the X has then i will be buying the MAXX outright because it will have 32Gb of memory upon release... I would prefer the Moto X at this point but no 32Gb option will kill me... i prefer the build quality and aesthetics though of the X more.

currently i have a GS4 and am actually quiet annoyed with the device overall... battery life sucks if i use BT and GPS turned on. which are two frequent things i use so i would prefer they stay on. besides that i just don't like the look of it to be honest... i much prefer the looks of the Moto X and even the Maxx

Advertisement
    :
  2. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

3. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Well-Known Member

No, of course not. The X has softkeys so, by definition, the software is not IDENTICAL. Any other questions? J/K

I appreciate the insight about the S4 by the way. I was thinking about S4 vs dmaxx. SD drive, removeable battery, more support from developers and accessories wise, and just generally seems like a phone that will have more longevity.

dmaxx vs X, the battery life is much worse on the X. Also, the X, for all it's choices of materials/colors doesn't have softouch kevlar in carbon fiber. Also, the X comes with 50gb of gdrive.
  4. Covert_Death

all motorola phones have 50gb of Gdrive for 2 years now...

i guess i will just have to wait till both hit our store and feel them out in person before making a decision either way.... grrrr my boss thinks its funny too that i just got the GS4 and am looking at a new phone already
  5. mistermojorizi

that's good to hear. another difference: droids have droid zap.
  6. argent7

argent7 Active Member

Per the Moto X review at Droid Life...

"Assist is probably the least talked about of the bunch, but is equally as important for those who travel a lot, regularly fill up calendars and need quiet time, or simply like to sleep at night without getting bothered. Assist is an app that when activated, gives you three categories to choose from: Sleeping, Driving, and Meeting. In a way, they are like profiles that set your phone to a certain state depending upon your needs. If you are driving and you have Assist turned on, the phone will recognize that you are in a car and automatically start reading text messages and incoming calls aloud. If you set it to Sleeping, you won’t be bothered by notifications between the hours you select, unless you want to set an exemption for important people. In Meeting mode, your phone will silence itself based upon your calendar status, and even auto-respond to calls with a pre-set text message.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Screenshot_2013-08-06-00-02-11-162x162.png "

The full X review..
    Moto X Review (2013) – Droid Life
    Outatime likes this.
  7. mistermojorizi

the dmaxx has assist according to pcmag: Hands On With the New Motorola Droids | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

in one review it started reading someone's text messages out loud in the car without him authorizing it to do so. another one i read had audible notifications during the time where he didn't authorize any (by designating the time to "sleep" in assist).

So it's a marketing gimmick that i personally wouldn't rely on and would be concerned about.

Here's an awsome comparison chart from VZW themselves: http://www.droid-life.com/wp-conten...een-Shot-2013-08-11-at-9.06.53-PM-650x451.png

confirms that the droids have everything! and moto x is missing half the marketing gimmicks! and it's specs are in gray instead of RED! /sarcasm
    robertw900 and Outatime like this.
  8. heebs79

heebs79 Member

I have read the Moto X and Maxx are running fairly close to stock Android. Any reason to believe the bloat will be any less on the Verizon version of the Moto X compared to the Maxx?
  9. Outatime

I wish the bloat nonsense would calm down. If there's an app you don't like, don't put it on your main desktop. You'll never see it. It will barely be taking up any space. What is the issue?
    Thom likes this.
  10. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Yes and it is too bad the app drawer doesn't have folders. If it did you could jus have a folder there and move the apps you didn't want to see into it.

... Thom
  11. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Use Nova Launcher Prime and you can hide apps from the drawer. Speaking of Nova Launcher. Will any of you be using a launcher over the stock launcher?
    Thom likes this.
  12. Outatime

I will almost definitely be using Nova Launcher. I love it.
  13. heebs79

heebs79 Member

I was under the impression that the bloat apps can slow down things, it sounds like it's not a big deal, I don't have a problem with just hiding them, thanks for the reply
  14. Outatime

Well, obviously if it's an application that's polling in the background and stuff, it could be slowing your phone down. But if it's just a stupid app that you never use, it won't consume system resources because you're not using it.
  15. chrisv79

chrisv79 Well-Known Member

So far the couple of unboxing's I have seen for the Ultra look promising. The guys who have used both the X and the Ultra are saying the software is pretty much identical save the couple of Droid specific features. Looks like for sure everything the X has these phone have also.
  16. Outatime

Yeah those unboxings were awesome. Fast and silky smooth.
  17. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member

And most can be disabled even if they can't be uninstalled. They go to the bottom of the list in the app drawer.
    Outatime likes this.
  18. rabaker07

rabaker07 Member

19. lewwill

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/78aeb2de25?page=3

This is the comparison. I have gone over the specs carefully and the only other things I have found are the Moto X has "ac" wifi while the Maxx has a,b,g,n. No problem for me. I like the kevlar unibody and the 5" display. IMHO the Maxx has the advantage over the Moto X with the exception of hype. My Maxx will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Lew
  20. schlanz

schlanz New Member

I haven't held the Moto X but I have the Razr Maxx in hand and it is a HANDSOME phone that feels quite nice in the hand. By far the best looking Droid ever made... which may not be saying much. But I assure you it's no slouch in the looks department.
    Outatime likes this.
  21. lewwill

Oh No Mr. Bill!!! Say it isn't so. They have suspended engraving on the Moto X due to poor quality. There goes one of the biggest promo points.:rolleyes: Pardon the sarcasm.
  22. Outatime

LOL. If I was getting that one, I would get it all black. Having my phone be neon green with my initials engraved on the back doesn't matter to me at all.

I think the Maxx looks sweet.
  23. tspangle88

tspangle88 Well-Known Member

Moto X vs. Droid Ultra: A real-world comparison | Computerworld Blogs
    Ouch.

My upgrade is next Wednesday. I'm going to wait until I can hold the Maxx and the X in my hand before I decide which one I want, but it'll be one of those two.
    aportable likes this.
  24. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Well-Known Member

These blog writers kill me. The Droid is basically the same phone as the X, but slightly bigger with slightly more bloat. Don't like the bloat? Disable them and they will drop to the bottom of the app list (as well as be hidden in the App Drawer). Really don't like the bloat? Root your phone and uninstall them with TiBu or something similar. I don't like apps on my phone that are forced upon me that I don't want, but honestly, the hub-bub over bloat is a little ridiculous. The bloat is easily hidden/disabled/removed and like someone said, if it's not running in the background you'll never know it's there.

And 'vomited on' by a Verizon monster is laughable. This is the least Verizon-branded phone I've seen in a long time. We all know how Verizon just can't resist putting their stupid logo on every available space on phones (anyone remember the phone that had it on the home button?) but it's only on one small part of the back of the Droid, if I remember correctly. Most people put their phones in cases, so you'll never see the logo.

Too funny.
  25. Covert_Death

as far as branding, get over it, every carrier does it... even ATT on the Moto X is branded. atleast they are taking them off the front and hiding it better