Droid Maxx WiFi ProblemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

I've had a Maxx for some months and suddenly it would start dropping wifi, and not be able to pick it back up. My phone screen was cracked so I had to get another one on an insurance claim. The one that arrived connected a few times and now will not at all. I have my Laptop, Xbox, kindle, and other cellphones on the wifi without problems.

The phone is allowing me to turn on wifi, it allows me to save the password but, when it can finally see my home network, which it doesn't always even though when it does it has it at excellent strength, It wont connect. When I hit connect the network suddenly drops to low strength or the connect option simply goes away without doing anything.

I have switched routers thinking that was the issue, from an old Belkin to a new TP-Link and the problem stayed the exact same. I have factory reset my phone to no effect. I have deselected 'avoid poor connections' and 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' is on always. I am on Android version: 4.4, and system version: 19.6.3.obake - maxx _ verizon . Verizon . en . US,

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It sounds like a hardware problem. Call to tell them about it and get a new replacement.
  3. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

My first maxx had the same issue and it wasn't fixed with a replacement.
  4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Is the wifi router set to 2.4 or 5 ghz? Set to which authentication (wep, WPA, wpa2) or none? Set to n only or b/g/n?
  5. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

I'm out of town right this second. I'll get all the data on sunday
  6. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

It says mode: 11bgn mixed. Security: wpa2-psk,with a aes encryption. I don't see where the router is set to 2.4 or 5. But the phone is set to auto.
  7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

bgn mixed is definitely 2.4 GHz. You can try changing the phone to 2.4 GHz only. You can also try changing the channel that the router is using (the channels in the US are 1-11 on 2.4 GHz, but they span about 5 channels, so most people use 1, 6, or 11.) It could be that the channel you are using is in common use in your neighborhood or area and you have some channel conflict.

That's a setting on the router, not on the phone.
  8. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

I've changed the phone to 2.4 GHz and cycled through the channels to no avail. I even changed the channel width from 20 to 40MHz.
  9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Time for a warranty replacement, then, I think. I have no trouble at all with WiFi on any router or access point that I've tried from a variety of vendors (Apple, Asus, Netgear, Linksys and D-Link.)
    Thom likes this.
  10. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

This phone is a warranty swap. The last phone I had had these same exact issues as well, I swapped it out due to a cracked screen though.
  11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I think that you need another replacement. You've tried the phone on two different wireless routers that are serving other clients without problem. That just isn't right. It sounds like you have bad luck with handsets and WiFi so far.

The only other thing I can think of is to start in safe mode to rule out interference from a third party app. This post has the instructions for entering safe mode: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...y-automatic-reboot-occurring.html#post6611139
  12. cornelius2008

cornelius2008 Member

Tried the safe mode. No success. I guess I'll have to try the warranty swap. The thing that makes me hesitant is that it connects to my University network no problem. At least non that I've noticed.
  13. wooddale

wooddale Member

I'm having the same problem just got phone used connects sometimes and sometimes not then it will all of a sudden connect up again
  14. Miss_Crystalix

Miss_Crystalix New Member

I'm having this exact problem too, and I'm also already on my warranty replacement phone (other had screen crack). Did you ever find a solution to this, and do you have any idea whether Motorola is aware of this issue? I want to just get another phone, but apparently Maxx is the top >:-(

Also, since they might be related, is your bluetooth also behaving this way? Randomly dropping or refusing to connect with paired devices?
  15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You don't happen to have any flashlight apps installed on the phone? If so, I know of a known issue with those preventing WiFi and BT connections.

To rule out any other app issues, I'd suggest restarting the phone in safe mode and run the phone for a while to see if there are WiFi issues. Safe mode will prevent third party apps from autostarting at boot.

Long-press power, just as you normally would to power off, but then long-press on the "Power-off" field until you see a message about safe mode. When you acknowledge that, the phone will restart in safe mode. To restart normally, just do a normal power off/power on from safe mode...
    Thom likes this.