Droid Memory Issues

Last Updated:

1. swimman2867

swimman2867 Member This Topic's Starter

Moto Droid user reporting in. I noticed that when looking under running applications, three were running. However, after I ATK'd my apps, the ATK widget said I had just killed 7 apps.

Any explanations??

Advertisement
  2. rmp152

rmp152 Active Member

Kind of a side question...

I used ATK when I had 1.5, but after upgrading to 2.1, each time I would click the widget, my data would cut and then reload after about a minute. It makes that notification noise when it's off, and then again when it's on. I like ATK, but I hate my data cutting in and out.

3. swimman2867

swimman2867 Member This Topic's Starter

More specifically, I need help understanding how the Droid manages its memory. Am I wrong to assume that adding more apps drains RAM even if they are not running?

4. JerryCrockford

JerryCrockford Member

Having just come from the Symbian environment, I just LOVE Android on my Legend.

I do miss being able to 'tidy up' after using an app by using the 'exit' option though.

As I understand it (Newbie here), Android manages apps itself, turning off those that aren't being used.

But today, about two hours after I used Sygic Navigator to get to an appointment, it started bleating in my pocket telling me I had "Arrived at my destination". (This, let me tell you, was VERY helpful during a client meeting).

So, I guess the maps app had been running, burning battery the whole time.

Is Advanced App Killer a good solution for this?

Or would Android have eeeeeeventually shut the app down?

Cheers,

Jeremy

5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Android doesn't kill active apps, and it will only kills apps in the "background" (inactive) if it needs more memory for other apps.