• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid/Milestone vs Nexus One

Droid/Milestone or Nexus One

• Total voters
"I tried. Really, I tried not to go there. But in the end, it ate at me until the words typed themselves."...I just wanted to point out that googling that phrase, with the quotes, points to only one link in the entire world as of this post.
...which means something very Meta, I'm sure...but it also means that I still don't know what your quote is referring to.

Upvote 0
Still think it's crazy that so many people are choosing Droid above N1.

Guess you american people are very influenceable by ads after all. :D

*runs away very fast to a safe distance*

Just teasing eh! ;) Still I wonder how come...can't all be just because of the hardware keyboard I guess.

EDIT: Waiting for my N1 to arrive in Belgium by mail. Bought it for $540 = €400 incl. shipping on ebay whilst it costs €600 if i'd buy it here via expansys. :D

Upvote 0
With the option to type on a keyboard, which the N1 will never have, and now the ease of rooting giving me a faster processor than the N1, oh and the higher resolution and stronger materials used to build the phone, the choice is easy. Droid all the way.

The people being influenced by marketing are the ones that think they need a super light phone like the iphone and a phone without a keyboard, again like the iphone. "real" phones are made out of metal and gorilla glass and come with a full keyboard :)

Upvote 0
If the N1 was on Verizon, I'd ditch my Droid in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah, indeed. I forgot about that locked devices crap.
In Belgium I guess it's not legal for providers to lock devices and sell them in specific bundles which include a subscription. Which in this case is a bad thing since I have to pay unlocked price for my N1. Still happy to get such an awesome device for only

Upvote 0
With the option to type on a keyboard, which the N1 will never have, and now the ease of rooting giving me a faster processor than the N1, oh and the higher resolution and stronger materials used to build the phone, the choice is easy. Droid all the way.

The people being influenced by marketing are the ones that think they need a super light phone like the iphone and a phone without a keyboard, again like the iphone. "real" phones are made out of metal and gorilla glass and come with a full keyboard :)

It's possible to root and overclock the N1 too I guess, no?

The Droid has a higher resolution :eek: I just had to google this to believe it...dindn't know about this until now...though I guess less pixels + faster cpu = more snappyness. And the droid has a lower res. camera I think, not that that matters a whole lot....

And as far as the gorilla glass:

PC171628-550x412.jpg

And the keyboard makes the Droid easier to break than the N1 imo. :)

Of course they both are kick ass, but I'm still happy I went for the N1 instead of the Droid...

greets

Upvote 0
Still think it's crazy that so many people are choosing Droid above N1.

Guess you american people are very influenceable by ads after all. :D

*runs away very fast to a safe distance*

Just teasing eh! ;) Still I wonder how come...can't all be just because of the hardware keyboard I guess.

EDIT: Waiting for my N1 to arrive in Belgium by mail. Bought it for $540 =

Upvote 0
For me it boils down to having a good phone or great service. I really like HTC phones and if Verizon had the N1 I would have it, but I will not switch to T mobile just to get a hot phone.

Besides the more I have played with my Moto Droid, the more I love. This phone will be around for a while. There will be a new N1 in a few months.

So you americans almost always buy phones locked by your carrier?

Over here the government "protects" us from getting nailed to a specific carrier and payment plan by only allowing unlocked phones....I guess both approaches have their strenghts and weaknesses, though I prefer how it goes in the states, since I think I wont be so stupid to get lured into something that seems to be a good deal at first, and appears to be a big mistake later on.

Upvote 0
The advantage of locked phones is that the cost of the phone is subsidised by the carrier. If you get a big enough contract you can get many phones given to you for free, but even the cheapest contracts make a phone a fair bit cheaper (at least in terms of upfront payment)

My left side feels like posting something like:
YouTube - Braveheart freedom speech -- Matt

Though my right half thinks that allowing people to buy locked as well as unlocked phones is more freedom...I guess a lot of not so intelligent people will become victim of this strategy, but people who know how to make the right choices will benefit from it.

Upvote 0
It's possible to root and overclock the N1 too I guess, no?

The Droid has a higher resolution :eek: I just had to google this to believe it...dindn't know about this until now...though I guess less pixels + faster cpu = more snappyness. And the droid has a lower res. camera I think, not that that matters a whole lot....

And as far as the gorilla glass:

PC171628-550x412.jpg

And the keyboard makes the Droid easier to break than the N1 imo. :)

Of course they both are kick ass, but I'm still happy I went for the N1 instead of the Droid...

greets

Its faster because it has a faster processor....The Droid does not have a lower res Camera, in fact it should take better pictures due to its dual LED Flash rather than the Nexus Ones, single Flash.

What is that pictures supposed to insinuate?? I dont know what the hell they did with that phone but the person has to be extremely dumb to let that happen, whatever they did to get the screen like that NO phone would survive it....

How does the keyboard make it easier to break??? Its the sturdiest slider ive ever seen on a phone.

Upvote 0
@ Dr Drane:

Americans have to deal with too many TLAs (three-letter acronyms).

GSM
This is, of course, a global standard. However, in the US it means going with AT&T or T-Mobile. Both use different 3G spectrum from European carriers. AT&T uses 850 MHz (like Japan and Australia in some senses) while T-Mobile uses the 1700 MHz AWS spectrum.

AT&T has much better coverage than T-Mobile, and their 3G rollout has progressed much more than T-Mobile's. That said, their device lineup is much less Android-centric at the moment.

Both carriers SIM-lock their devices, subsidize the phones via contract, have a 30-day grace period. For basic devices, unlimited data is 20 USD/mo, but for advanced devices it goes up to 40 USD/mo. Laptop cards are 60/mo. I have sneakily switched my contracts down to the lower tiers since I do not use subsidized phones anymore. I use AT&T for both; one SIM card is currently in an HTC Touch Pro (AT&T Fuze) and the other migrates between an iPhone and a laptop and a netbook.

CDMA
CDMA is the world's other cell-phone scheme. China used to have some CDMA networks, Canada and Mexico have them, and I know Ghana has at least one from personal experience. In the US, CDMA networks do not use SIM cards: there is no such thing as an unlocked phone, and switching carriers is not possible.

The advantages of this for the carriers are clear: no "churn" or customer turnover. Verizon and Sprint are the two CDMA networks in the US. Verizon has much better coverage than AT&T, (although AT&T's problems are partly due to the iPhone antenna design and urban population centers) and CDMA technologies have slightly longer range than GSM technologies. (This is generally not an issue in densely-populated Europe....)

USA
I don't appreciate being called a silly American, but I'll get over it. We have subsidized phones, because nice phones are expensive and thus unaffordable, because we like to buy things we can't afford, and because the telcos and manufacturers have a stranglehold on the consumer.

The iPhone was the first phone to be released where the manufacturer was able to take charge, much to the chagrin of AT&T. The Nexus One is basically the second example of a scenario in which the manufacturer/Google are taking control. The Nexus One is unsubsidized on certain US carriers.

Belgium's policy, (I spent a summer working at the European Parliament in BXL and used Proximus' data services extensively) makes some sense. The end user is not locked in to expensive monthly plans. With the prohibition of subsidization (for non-cheapo phones) end-users know what they are getting themselves into. I believe this is true in Finland as well, but it is generally not true in the UK or France.

The best part about European networks is the ease of switching networks since everyone is on the same GSM standard. (You all and all of the US networks will be switching to LTE, so this difference will disappear.) The worst part are the roaming fees, especially for data, between countries. I know that EU legislation is changing this. Still, GSM carriers have no incentive to merge and achieve economies of scale because they can charge so much for roaming. Even Vodafone customers in one country pay roaming fees on Vodafone in another (albeit reduced).

In the US, all networks are national, and thus there are no roaming fees across an area 2/3 (?) the size of Europe. (I'm not counting Alaska and Hawaii, though maybe I should.)

Lastly, I'll just point out that European governments are generally more interventionist. In the US, the FCC has mandated "number portability," but given the fact that we have 4 competing national networks (and other smaller regional ones), there is little incentive for the FCC or the FTC to intervene.

Europe's GSM networks are older, and roaming and formerly state-owned telcos make the whole thing more complicated. Interventionism is more popular, and arguably necessary.

Droid
This is a 3G CDMA phone based now on Android 2.1. The software stack was fully Google-designed, and this phone came out before the Nexus One. The CDMA variant had voice quality issues, in part due to the voice codec selected. A better codec is available in the phone's options, but not every cell tower/data center on the network supports it. The Droid is an excellent phone, nonetheless.

Nexus One
The Nexus One has a slightly smaller screen (800 pixels high instead of 848) than the Droid/Milestone, does not have a physical slide-out keyboard, came with Android 2.1 pre-installed, may have a slightly faster processor, has 512 MB RAM, and uses an OLED RGBG screen.

It has 3G reception issues that the Milestone does not have, they both have GPS, WIFI, compass, 10 MBps 3G radios, SD slots, etc. The Nexus One is more likely to have the latest and greatest Google software, although the Droid should come in close second. The Milestone/Droid only has 256 MB RAM. The Milestone/Droid has better battery life as far as I can tell. Hackers will likely bring all Droid/Nexus One software to the Milestone very quickly.

The OLED RGBG screen on the N1 is hard to read outdoors, and certain images look strange on this display, including text. This is in part due to the fact that there are two Gs for every R or B (red, green, blue pixels). Both devices uses Synaptics technology and capacitive touchscreens. The Motorolas have better battery life as far as I can tell.

Milestone
I bought a new, unlocked Milestone from Canada, where it is sold on Telus (this Canadian carrier has the same 3G frequencies as AT&T in the US; note that all US 3G phones work quite well in Europe). There are no high-end Android (I don't count the Backflip) slide-out keyboard devices on AT&T yet, and the Milestone is too juicy to pass up. I paid 560 USD and my purchase includes accessories.

Unfortunately I will still have to root the Milestone, and may have difficulty using the Google Android store as a result. That said, it has been proven that many of the shoddy default apps can be removed, and Motorola navigation can be replaced with Google Maps Navigation and nearly all of the other apps found on the Nexus One.

I will save money on my data plan by switching from my subsidized high-end phone to pretending that I will be using a feature phone, but slipping the SIM card into my Milestone.

My only fear is that I will miss the extra 256 MB RAM on the Nexus One, and that call quality might be a bit of an issue. The Motorolas and the Nexus one share a noise-cancelling, 2-microphone system. While the GSM Milestone will not have the codec problem of its CDMA Droid sibling, it will have the 2-microphone issue. It seems that sometimes the casing gets a bit loose on both the Motorolas, and as a result the noise-cancelling algorithm also cancels your voice.

MY TWO CENTS!

Upvote 0
I bought the Telus Milestone in order to use it on AT&T since the 3G frequencies are the same, and I didn't feel like renewing my contract by buying a new, subsidized phone.

My only fear is that I break this thing or lose it, and there won't be an insurance policy. Hopefully by then I'll be able to replace the phone for less.

The seller shipped my phone with a second battery, screen protector, case, third hi-capacity battery, and charging base/stand. I could not be happier with the condition everything arrived in.

Call quality and volume are both very good, although the case I am currently using does impede the noise-cancellation secondary microphone a bit.

Android 2.1 is phenomenal, although not quite as nice as on the Google/HTC Nexus One. The Android Market doesn't have as many apps as Apple's App Store, but it's nonetheless a great source of very useful software.

I picked this phone over the Nexus One due to the keyboard and outdoor-legible screen. Cellular reception is also allegedly much better.

Sadly, Motorola's version of Android 2.1 is missing the Nexus One 3D launcher. While I was able to add nearly all of the features of the Nexus One to my Milestone, I was never able to find a stable 3D launcher, except in European ROMs that disabled my 3G access.

Interestingly, it seems Germans and Argentines love this phone the most.

Tethering, VPN, IMAP, push Gmail, Google Turn-by-Turn Navigation with GPS, Google Goggles, etc. is all very easy on this phone. Sadly there are few eBook readers available, there is no built-in task-management software, music management pales in comparison to the iPhone, and Skype is still not available!

Still, if you would prefer not to buy an iPhone, I think this is still the best phone on the market. Its OMAP CPU may not be clocked as fast as the 1 GHz Snapdragon on the Nexus One, but it's pretty snappy. It also has 256 MB of RAM versus 512 MB on the Nexus One. Consider that only the iPhone 3GS has 256 MB of RAM.

My biggest frustration with this phone this weekend was my inability to restore the phone to a 100% clean firmware from the Motorola website. The update to Android 2.1 went off without a hitch, but restore images are literally available for all carriers and versions, except for Telus. Luckily I had a Nandroid backup available, but I had to install this on top of a Brazilian ROM. Note that I did jailbreak/root my device. This phone would be of less value had I not done so. (GPS would not connect until I reconfigured a protected text file that requires root access)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones