Droid Minis are available nowGeneral

1. yamamonster600

yamamonster600 Well-Known Member

I saw them in store this morning when I was picking up my Droid Maxx.

Advertisement
  2. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I went and looked at all three this morning. The mini (which isn't so mini, by the way) is my first choice in terms of size. I hate the trend toward tablet-sized phones.

But there seems to be almost No interest in this phone so far, which unfortunately means No development or hacking. In the end I'll take a phone with an active dev community over one that I like the ergonomics of. Too many things I'd want to change.

On a side note... there is a Major difference between the tft and the amoled screens. I do wish the mini was amoled.
  3. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting, I preordered mine off of Wirefly for $49.99. I hope I get that notification soon that it's being shipped, :D

As far as development on the phone goes, I think with the three coming out at the same time and the Moto X, the spotlight has kind of been taken away. But this phone has value, because it's the same in specs as the other phones (except for the TFT screen) I'm sure it will catch on.
  4. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping so.
  5. rabidhunter

Looks like they will ship out tomorrow, yay!

[​IMG]
  6. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

I'm definitely picking it up; phones with screens > 4.3" are unusable for me. Heck, 4.3" is barely usable. If the internals are the same as the other 2 Droids, then the unlock/rooting process should be similar, right? Hopefully the Mini can leach off development from those phones.

That said, I'd be willing to sacrifice root to get an actually usable phone. It's just a shame that Motorola is the only one providing one, as the HTC One Mini and Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini are too gimped in RAM and/or screen resolution.
  7. rabidhunter

Has anybody ordered theirs on Wirefly? Any word on when they will ship?

It sounds like they were sold out and I preordered mine from Wirefly almost two weeks ago. Yikes... That's a good thing though, means these things are hot sellers.
  8. redwood66

redwood66 Active Member

I got this phone yesterday at the Verizon store to replace my Razr which has been replaced 3 times in the 2 years I have had it. We have two smartphones and unlimited data on both so I paid the $449 in order to keep my data package. I am pretty happy with it so far and am very glad it is smaller in my pocket than the razr. I do miss the smart actions because to save battery life I would cut off 4G when the screen was off in my pocket. But battery has not been a problem thus far even with BT and 4G active all the time. Had a bit of an issue auto connecting with my Subaru Crosstrek but went through the steering wheel commands instead of the head unit menu and that seemed to work. So far I am a happy girl just with less $$ now.

ETA I paid the full price because I use anywhere from 14GB to 43+ GB in a month. No DSL or other internet in my location. Use the phones for Netflix, online PS3 gaming, internet browsing, basically everything. Basically I will be up sh*t creek if they do away with my plan.
  9. rabidhunter

Just curious on how the Bluetooth Connectivity works on your car. I got a car with Ford Sync. When you're driving and Bluetooth is on, will the phone's voice commands still work? Like if it's in my pocket, can I say, "Okay Google Now, call Guy Kawasaki?"
  10. redwood66

redwood66 Active Member

It seems to work fine. I use BT for listening to Sirius through the car stereo. I have not tried to use the OK Google Now to place a call yet. Will try soon.

ETA ok so with BT on in the car it appears the OK G N will not hear me say it with my radio on. Had to use the steering wheel buttons to make a call. Oh well.
  11. rabidhunter

Thanks for the test. Not a huge detractor (better not be because I've preordered the phone). Just was interested in that. I am just waiting impatiently for the phone. I'm running an OG Droid that's hurking and jerking and my bride's running a Pantech Breakout that's kind of broken now.