Droid Newbie - Am I In Control of My Phone?

Last Updated:

1. SteveCamsell

SteveCamsell Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My name is Steve and by day I'm a .Net C# developer - sorry any Java developers out there! I've recently ditched my iPhone 3G and bought an HTC Desire Black in the UK with the Orange mobile phone network. So far I'm loving the whole Android thing and I'm particularly pleased about not having to use iTunes any more.

I've just updated to 2.2 Froyo after Orange eventually saw fit to allow me to install it. The first question is:

Do I really have to wait until my operator allows me to upgrade in future or can I take control of my handset?

The second point is with regards to 2.2 - I believe I should now be able to decide whether apps are installed on Phone memory or SD. However I don't seem to have any options to control this. I was playing around with moving Angry Birds to SD card today. A buddy of mine has a Desire with Vodafone and when in application settings for Angry birds he has an option to "Transfer to SD Card". I don't have this option, even after uninstalling and then re-installing the application. What's going on here?

Advertisement
  2. SteveCamsell

SteveCamsell Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry, didn't realise this forum wasn't for questions. Have re-posted elsewhere.

3. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Welcome! Can't help you much with the apps to SD thing, I haven't tried it yet, but I just love that you got your Black from Orange! Are your friend Green with envy yet, LOL!

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! I hope you feel free to join the conversations! :D

Rooting gets you whatever you want, pretty much, whenever you want, baby!!!! w00t!

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Except free service! :p

6. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi Steve & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....;)