Droid Newbie....Please Help!

Last Updated:

1. jjheel13

jjheel13 Member This Topic's Starter

I just got a Droid and had a couple questions:

1) What exactly does rooting your phone do?

2) Will i still be able to connect to a Wifi connection?

3) Will I still be able to tether? Will Verizon know I'm tethering?

4) Which is the best Rom to use for a newbie?

5) Can you update your themes separate from the Rom?

6) What is a kernel?

Also if you could update me to instructions to have to change Rom's and Themes I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

1. Rooting unlocks your phone's inner workings so you can modify it. It voids your Verizon warranty, but most people who do it find it most worthwhile, as you can always "un-root" it.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes, and most likely... especially if you tether a LOT.
    4. I recommend Bugless Beast 0.4 as it's very stable and easy to use.
    5. As far as I know, yes. I don't theme, however, so someone else can answer this one.

3. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

In most cases, yes, you can theme independently of a ROM. There's an app called Metamorph that we use to apply themes or portions of themes (i.e. notification bars, home launchers, battery icons, etc..). Some themes are applied to certain ROMs for easy flashing (installation), though, which most would say make it easier.

If you look at the top of this forum list, you'll see several stickied threads that will answer all of your questions in detail. Check them out, and then feel free to ask us to clear up anything that may not be as clear, or when you run into any issues.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

1) Rooting is a Linux term. It basically allows administrator access so that you can do things with the phone that you would not have permission to do otherwise. Some examples include - Installing custom ROMs, installing different recovery software, installing custom kernels with various tweaks and settings, and using apps that require root, such as wireless tethering and overclocking apps.

2) Absolutely. There is nothing really different about the functioning of a rooted phone. Unless there happens to be a problem with WiFi in the ROM or kernel you have installed, it'll work just fine.

3) Yes, and maybe. If you tether with the "Wireless Tether for Root Users" app, they're not going to actually know that you're tethering, but it could be derived from your usage if you happen to be using an extremely high amount of data every month.

4) I concur with BB as the previous poster mentioned. There are tons of good ROMs, but generally BB is a solid/stable/simple place to start.

5) Yes. You can install a theme ZIP file just as you would install a ROM, and it will go "over" the current ROM. You just have to make sure that the theme you're installing is compatible with your current ROM, since some use different structures and non-native themes may cause problems.