• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid Not Activating After Baseband Downgrade!!

djkeller3

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
Lexington, KY
After rooting my son's Droid, I attempted the baseband downgrade. I renamed the file to "update" and went into Clockworkmod (not sprecovery) and applied the update... Clockworkmod did not follow the instructions laid out by Billy Galbreath exactly, but it seemed to work. When the Droid rebooted it went directly into the activate screen and automatically dialed, I pressed 1 and after the system gathered information about the phone, it said activation was unsuccessful. I even tried a nandroid recovery, and I still cannot activate this phone. I don't know what to do !!

I did this with my own droid last month and had no problems. I don't know what went wrong this time. Can someone please help!

Haha :D I think you just picked the wrong time to do this. I tried to do a *22899 on my wife's phone about 1 or 2 hours ago and it wouldn't activate. I think if you called VZW, you would find that they are doing something with their "billing system" and cannot activate phones at this time. I have had this happen once before when putting a new ROM on my Touch Pro 2 and had to wait until 6am before I could activate it. Hopefully, this is what's going on anyway...I haven't seen a whole lot of problems with people changing the baseband.

Upvote 0
Haha :D I think you just picked the wrong time to do this. I tried to do a *22899 on my wife's phone about 1 or 2 hours ago and it wouldn't activate. I think if you called VZW, you would find that they are doing something with their "billing system" and cannot activate phones at this time. I have had this happen once before when putting a new ROM on my Touch Pro 2 and had to wait until 6am before I could activate it. Hopefully, this is what's going on anyway...I haven't seen a whole lot of problems with people changing the baseband.

Cool. I will try in the morning. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
If nothing else, there is an option in Clockworkmod to do a "wipe data/factory reset". If there is no other option, will doing this bring me back to the point where I took the phone out of the box and activated successfully?

No. Factory reset just gets rid of all user data within the OS. Apps, settings, etc so you go back to a wiped and unactivated version of whatever ROM you have installed currently.

Upvote 0
If nothing else, there is an option in Clockworkmod to do a "wipe data/factory reset". If there is no other option, will doing this bring me back to the point where I took the phone out of the box and activated successfully?

Nope...you could do a variety of things to the phone but you're going to have to activate it at this point in time.

Cool. I will try in the morning. Thanks!!

NP, if you want to feel better you could call VZW now and just tell them you were trying to update you roaming capabilities and were getting an error. The could confirm the "downtime" for activation and you could sleep easy :)

My wife's phone is able to make calls but cannot activate or upgrade roaming capabilities through the automated system so I am 99.9% sure this is your issue. Please confirm your status in the morning so I'll know that I'm not just blowing smoke! :D

Reactions: djkeller3
Upvote 0
Nope...you could do a variety of things to the phone but you're going to have to activate it at this point in time.

NP, if you want to feel better you could call VZW now and just tell them you were trying to update you roaming capabilities and were getting an error. The could confirm the "downtime" for activation and you could sleep easy :)

My wife's phone is able to make calls but cannot activate or upgrade roaming capabilities through the automated system so I am 99.9% sure this is your issue. Please confirm your status in the morning so I'll know that I'm not just blowing smoke! :D

Yep, you were 100% correct, my friend. Man, did they ever scare the living crap out of me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones