Droid only allows 256mb for apps?

Last Updated:

1. katsuru

katsuru New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello guys!

I have been dreaming about this phone since it was 1st introduced! I might get it next month already, since it hasn't arrived yet ( was at the shop yesterday to check its availability )

But yesterday, some comments strarted to appear from Iphone Fanboys who claim that Droid ( or Milestone which is the one i am getting since i in Europe ) only has 256mb for applications... ok that is a very limited size for a Phone with Dedicated GPU, when you think about the 3D games out there, you realize some of them really reach the 1Gb line in size... how am i supposed to install such apps if i can't use the SD card for apps?

Is this true at all..? This might be the reason i wont get droid... I am really disappointed with this... Cause the device was really looking promising.

Best regards

Advertisement
  2. Jorenm

Jorenm Active Member

The largest app I have is under 2mb. I don't think this is as big an issue as you think.

3. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I see apps installed that also write data/images/caches to the SD card.

Most apps are tiny, but you have a valid point about the 256 and large games (if they even exist in the app store). I'm not really a game player (maybe chess), so this is not a concern to me.

You'll find that those ifanbois are just taking jabs and they are just jealous!

4. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

The way android apps work is the APP is fairly small. But the data can be huge b/c it's out on the sd card. That's why the phone ships with an sd cardfromthe factory. :)

5. thericksonebay

thericksonebay Active Member

yes the phone installs the software on the sd card and links it to the main memory only taking a couple kilobytes to mb per app on the main memory

6. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

This has not been my experience so far. Some programs do send stuff to the SD card but not all apps are installed there.

You can find this out just by exploring the SD card.

7. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

Remember, not every app needs a whole lot of room.

8. michaelearth

michaelearth Well-Known Member

Isn't Google working on a solution to save apps to your SD card?

9. Space Mountain

Space Mountain Active Member

I'm sure hoping so as well, or someone will eventually get the root and figure out some, very minor flaws in the Droid :)

10. Bxsteez

Bxsteez Active Member

I guess for me this limitation is not something i find acceptable. Maybe its just me but i would want to be able to install as many apps as my sd card will hold much like windows mobile allows. Of course we both know i won't have that many apps installed lol.

11. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

It's a scare tactic of sorts.

here is a quote from a developer I found in another forum.

In other words, only core and launch files are stored in rom, and the rest can be stored on SD.

12. katsuru

katsuru New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys for the feedback...

After reading all that positive comments, i am back dreaming about Droid again!

:D