Droid or Not to Droid?

1. Raargh

Raargh Member

Hi All;
    (This was my "intro"post, but it really belongs here. Sorry if re-posting is a breach of protocol)

For the last 16 months I've greatly enjoyed my Nokia N810. It is a geek's dream - Maemo is a Debian variant, it is infinitely customizable. I dual-boot so that I can risk bricking it on the external SD partition, but recover by booting to flash. The build qulity is fantastic - all metal, solid, can be hurled to the ground and it does not care. Great stereo sound and a 4" 480x640 screen. The browsers support Flash right now, and also Javascript.

Although there are not as many apps for Maemo as Android, the ones that exist are high Quality. Some that I have installed include nmap (GUI and command line),, SSH & Telnet clients, three browsers (MicroB, Tear and Fennec), VPNc, VNC, rDesktop, AlmostTI (TI-85 graphing calc emulator) ,Kismet and Aircrack. Android has even been ported to it.

There is no need to "root" it, just fire up terminal and gain root.

Need to enter a 64-hexit PSK (as opposed to the standard 8-63 ASCII character passphrase)? No problem, just run gconfedit and cram in the values.

talk.maemo.org is inhabited by Linux Gods. All problems are solved quickly. (Thanks Penguin Bait, qwerty12, Qole and others!)

I use a Samsung R500 phone; it is a perfect phone, with extended battery a charge lasts 4 days. It's menus are fast and easy, I can make and take calls with one hand. I like Samsung as a company and have owned several different phones, plus my TV is Samsung.

But, sadly, the N810 is not a phone, and the N900 is not CDMA. I'm on Verison and will not switch to a GSM carrier.

But I long to carry just one device. In a perfect world, the N810 would be a phone too. But it is not.

So, when the Motorola Droid came out, I thought "perhaps now is the time to switch from Samsung." I spent about four hours at the Verison store this weekend. I really, really wanted to like it enough to buy it. But I did not - at least not yet. I'll keep going back to test - need at least another 4 hours of time with it.

The keyboard's number keys are shifted, but the "." is not. That makes entering IP addresses a pain. The Google Maps integration with the GPS and voice is awesome. But the 3.7" screen seems small compared to my N810. And, the Phone interface is very clunky - pretty much impossible to use with one hand, and adding contacts takes a lot of "clicks". The voice recognition for dialing was horrible, but was accurate for maps navigation! Weird. And, no multi-touch? What's up with that, Motorola? And why, oh why, put the d-pad on the right?!? Stupid, stupid!

I was able to get Android VNC to run and connect to my Windows desktop, but never could get the Cisco VPN to work.

But the thing that scared me the most was the inability to enter a 64-hexit PSK. That is a show-stopper. The huge (100 sites, >1500 access-points) network I administer uses a 64-hexit PSK. So, I have one important question: Anyone know if this is possible in Android 2.0?

Thanks!

Waiting , still waiting, for a smartphone. Hope my pants stay up while I wait - too many gadgets on my belt.

Raargh

Advertisement
  2. droid it up man once you go droid it fills the void lol
  3. hamburglar

hamburglar Member

don't know if that's possible since it's beyond my scope. i can tell you it's a great device, but you should ultimately test it out in the store. verizon has a 30 day trial so there's no reason not to test it out. hope that helps.
  4. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

Droid awaits.....