droid or wait for nexus one?

Last Updated:

1. loser_kid

loser_kid Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have the motorolla droid and it has been day two with the device and I absolutely love it...but I'm not sure if I should honor my 30 day guarantee and wait for the nexus one to come out or keep this device. What is everybody's thought on the subject?

Advertisement
  2. mcadam

mcadam Well-Known Member

according to engadget, the nexus one isn't an upgrade over the droid. droid will be getting 2.1, so I really don't know what advantage the nexus one will have.

3. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

just remember that N1 isn't coming to Verizon till spring, which is almost 3 months away...and who knows when in spring it will come. you could be waiting 6 months for a new phone!

4. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

DROID> N1

common mathematics law that they are starting to teach in preschool.

5. loser_kid

loser_kid Member This Topic's Starter

Do you think it will be that long? I read in an article that vodaphone will get the phone in a few short weeks. So I thought Verizon might follow suit..but I do love this phone but what is attracting me to the nexus is that it has a 1 ghz processor and more on board ram..but that is true I don't want to be without a good phone for six months

6. GorillaTheHutt

7. square

square Well-Known Member

get the n1. why would you want yesterday's technology?

8. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Which design do you like better? The Droid will have the same OS by the time the Nexus One comes out. I see the main pro of the Droid being the keyboard and screen (resolution and performance in direct sunlight are going to be better than the N1's) and the main pro of the N1 being an increase in speed.

We still don't know enough about the battery life of the phone, issues it might have, etc, so it's very hard to tell. I'm sticking with the Droid personally. I can't do without the keyboard. For other people, the keyboard is useless - for them the N1 is a better choice. You might also make the decision based on which device you think looks better. They're both high end Android phones, so I doubt you can go wrong either way.

9. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

N1 = Droid - Keyboard - 12GB initial storage....you do the math.

10. GorillaTheHutt

haha...not sure if you were trying to be funny, but N1 came out 2 days ago, so it's even worse than yesterday's technology!

11. DocEsp

DocEsp Active Member

If you're looking for the latest and greatest then you will always be behind because as soon as you get one, the next will come out in 2-3 months. There's really not that big of a jump between Droid and N1....biggest downside for me would be the lack of a physical keyboard

12. all3n_y

all3n_y Active Member

what new features will the droid have when it upgrades to 2.1?

13. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I think you'll be happy with the Droid for at least a year. Don't worry and be happy about your purchase. It's a great phone.

14. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

um it doesn't even have a keyboard... why would you want a phone that doesn't have a physical keyboard?

The only people who want a phone without a physical keyboard are people who like use the iPhone and don't know what they are missing. Use a physical keyboad like on the droid and then try and switch to one that doesn't lol. nuff said.

15. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I am going to have to agree with this one. N1 is for the latecomers who are bitter because they didnt get a Droid on launch day. ;)

16. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

the 1ghz processor is such a gimic. tell me what you need it for really????? drain your battery faster? if thats what youare into

17. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Is that a serious post? Reminds me of Bill Gates quote "512K ought to be enough for anybody."

18. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member

It all depends on whether or not you want a trackball at the bottom that flashes pretty colors sometimes. Everything else will be the same. The speed increase won't even be noticeable.

19. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

People are being a bit dishonest here. The N1 will be slightly faster or smoother but not by much that it shocks you. Plus it lacks a keypad but is slim and light. You will have to decide is that enough for you to wait 4 or so months. IMO these 2.0 devices are pretty much within the same generation. By then you will surely hear rumors of motorlas or HTC next big android device and the cycle continues......

BTW 16gb seems to be the standard by Verizon so u won't be getting just 4gb.

20. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

N1 = DROID - KB - 12GB microSD + 256MB RAM + AMOLED + $20 in your pocket

21. sooper_droid12

Like Engadget reported, the native OS does not really require the trackball, as such, the N1 owners are reporting that the tri-color trackball only flashes or pulses white and blue for bluetooth. So, no pretty colors yet until 3rd party developers make use of it.

22. sylent101

sylent101 Well-Known Member

I just want a phone that I feel will last me the two years I figured if I heard good things about n1's sturdyness id pick one up when it came out for verizon.. idk something about the droid just doesn't scream sturdy to me I mean the volume buttons feel like they're gonna fall off I've heard complaints about the camera button turning a whitish color over a short period of time and some people have said the slider became loose after dropping it once..really that just says alot.. I love the droid but peoples comments make me worry about the future with this thing I hope we don't end up like people who got the storm one..lol

23. sooper_droid12

Current users are reporting mixed results from battery use, but this is not uncommon because you tend to use your phone more during that "honeymoon" phase. But with monitored use, the battery is lasting about as long as the DROID's, so... no adverse effects from the 1GHz processor as of yet.

24. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

tell me what the N1 can do that the droid processor can't do on a mbile device? plus it's not even 1ghz it's underclocked

25. sooper_droid12

These phones aren't bulletproof. Not even the "almighty" N1. Except for where the engraving is metal, the rest of the phone is plastic. That being said, any part of a phone that can be manipulated will be a target for damage upon an impact situation. To the effect, you aren't even sure about the circumstances of that drop. Have you read about what happens to the iPhone upon being dropped? In some cases, irreparable damage. I know, my sister has gone through three of them.

That being said, the DROID is one of the most sturdy phones out there. It also is one of ONLY THREE devices that is equipped with GORILLA GLASS by Corning. This glass is virtually impervious to deep scratches. Go watch the Youtube video where a guy goes to town on his new DROID with a key. Not a single scratch. It's not immune to micro-scratches, after all it's not made of diamond, but it is one of three devices with this elite glass. Can't say that about the N1. Metal battery door or plastic door? You tell me.

Part of the reason the DROID is so hefty is because it does contain a lot of metal for reinforcement and sliders.