Droid Phone Plan Help

Last Updated:

1. roboid

roboid Member This Topic's Starter

I am a Verizon user with a simple voice only phone. I don't use it all that much, so I have the basic $39.99 voice plan. I want to get a Droid and do web and email and want unlimited in those areas. I don't need more than 450 minutes voice. What plan do you recommend?

Advertisement
  2. galt

galt Well-Known Member

Keep your voice plan. $30 per month adds data/email to ANY voice plan.

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Ditto. Don't bother with the "Unlimited Data" plan; it's poorly worded and doesn't have that many benefits over the $30 "Web/Email Plan" for most people.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Yup - it works. Don't let them tell you that you need an unlimited plan - if you only want it for the email and web capabilities, then just add it on.

And when I went through the web, it was discounted to $23.99

5. QrafTee

It sounds like you have an employee discount - 20% off your monthly bill.

6. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

7. johnlgalt

Well, then you'd better call VZW and tell them that I have an illegal plan set up. I have a Basic Family plan, with a third line, with 2 unlimited email and web plans added to 2 lines (at a discounted price of $23.99 each) and a $5 texting plan (I dropped unlimited texting on mine after the VZW rep told me I was averaging only 116 SMS per billing cycle - wtf should I pay for more than 250?).

Seriously, though, I was told not once, but 5 different times, by different VZW CSRs that I talked to by calling their CS line, that it was perfectly fine to do so - I did not have to get higher than a basic plan, I would just have to pay for SMS separately. I agreed, as 2 of my 3 lines use 0 SMS per month, so paying an additional ~$30 per month for unlimited SMS is ludicrous.

8. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

Yes you can use basic plans with the smartphone (even though they have smartphone only plans)

I had the normal 450 min, unlim talk, text, video sms...

I got my droid and actually downgraded to 200 mins (still unlimited M2M) with 500 text for $5 and the $30 unlimited (5gb...we should sue them), data plan.

EDIT: LOL I was just looking at my plan and they gave me the Senior 65 and older plan (200 mins) hahahaha, I'm 31.

9. QrafTee

You can utilize the Basic and Select Plans with Smartphones so as long as you add a Data Plan (Connect and Premium Plans cannot apply its data usage toward the Smartphones). You can also go for a more expensive Smartphone Plan which is basically a combination of the Basic (or Select) Plan(s) and Unlimited Data Plan.

10. roboid

roboid Member This Topic's Starter

Where online did you get the discount?

11. Mysta

Mysta Active Member

So texts are still limited by plan though right, and picture messages.

12. QrafTee

He got it because he has access to EPP so he saves 20% off his monthly bill. If you don't work at a place that has an EPP with Verizon, you can't get the discount.

13. johnlgalt

I signed in to My Verizon account, and then performed my upgrade.

I was not aware that this was because of the EPP, but, yes, the account *is* an EPP account, so....

I thought this was a universal thing for all online purchasers. My apologies for not researching this more closely....